Brain Balance Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Chip Miller

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • They want full-time availability for part-time with no benefits, so you'll need a second job or a partner who can support you financially (in 10 reviews)

• We have retail hours so we full-time folks work hard but we are well rewarded- by the outcome of our work and good compensation (in 4 reviews)

1. "Center Director"

I have been working at Brain Balance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Extremely rewarding to help kids and families blossom. As a center director you have the opportunity to put together a great team.

Cons

The hours vary so it is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

keep striving to be the best child service program you can be!

2. "Individually owned"

I have been working at Brain Balance full-time

Pros

The program is awesome, it helps most kids

Cons

individually run, so watch out who the owners are, high turn over rate

"Very Part-Time. Micromanagement to NO Management"

Former Employee - Coach in West Springfield, MA
    Former Employee - Coach in West Springfield, MA

I worked at Brain Balance part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Kids, gaining experience, great for very part time. I believed in it at first.

Cons

Expected to sell the company. Lack of specific training, thrown into it before ready. Rumor mill. No assistance, direction, training or protocols for dealing with aggressive children.

Advice to Management

Less focus on selling more on trainings and observation.

4. "Working as a Brain Balance Coach"

Current Employee - Coach in Henderson, NV
    Current Employee - Coach in Henderson, NV

Pros

Working at Brain Balance gives you wide range of knowledge and experience for those interested in a career associated with children. Working as a Brain Balance coach challenges you to be creative and innovative. Staff is wonderful and helpful to any questions you have. New coaches are given proper training and multiple resources. Staff is very flexible with availability and works with your schedule.

Cons

Not many opportunity's to grow within the company. Short working days for the most part.

"Sensory Motor and Cognitive Assesor & Coach"

Former Employee - Sensory Motor and Cognitive Assessor and Coach in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Brain Balance part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with the kids was AMAZING. The age range (4-17 years old) made work challenging but also fun. Most coworkers are knowledgeable and professional.

Cons

There are MAJOR flaws among the management of this company. Unfair hiring and firing processes...being "friendly" with upper management will get you far. You just have to be willing to compromise your morals to do so. Pay and hours are not great. I received minimal training and had to learn on the fly.

Advice to Management

Please take complaints from your employees seriously. Management claims to be all about "putting the kids first" but often care about anything but. Also consider offering your employees anything in the way of benefits - there is nothing in place at the center I worked at.

"Great job"

Former Employee - Director in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Allen, TX

I worked at Brain Balance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I absolutely loved working at Brain Balance. I was able to witness so many kids improvements and how much happier families were by the the end of the program. Brain Balance was by far the best experience and management made that possible. The owner of Brain Balance of Allen/Frisco cares for the success of every child that goes through the program. He constatly goes to the center to make sure families/employees are happy.
    I highly recommend this program/center to anyone!

Cons

I have no complains from this center/program.

Advice to Management

Great center!

7. "I do not recommend this employer"

Former Employee - Program Director
    Former Employee - Program Director

I worked at Brain Balance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Able to help students in need.

Cons

Over worked and under paid. Does not invest in their employees. Although promised, I never received benefits. I've honestly never been treated so badly at a job in my life.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to invest in your employees and when promised you are going to offer benefits they should be offered. From experience you have lost many great employees because of this. Also, don't make your employees feel bad for wanting them. Lastly, I think corporate needs to get more involved in the franchise locations. Some of the owners are absolutely horrible to not only their clients, but work staff.

8. "Great company bad boss"

Current Employee - Program Director in Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Program Director in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at Brain Balance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

fun kids, easy to move up in company, great co-workers, some good perks for director jobs

Cons

stressful work environment, poor management, unrealistic hours, tough demographic, no benefits, not high enough pay

Advice to Management

pay staff more

9. "Director"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Brain Balance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is wonderful and passionate about kids and families. There is no other place doing what Brain Balance does. Truly changing lives. Incredibly rewarding and a great learning experience!

Cons

If you're looking for a job you can find joy and change lives, there is none. If you want a 6 figure job, this probably isn't the job for you. To me, experience and changing lives far exceeds money!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

10. "I truly believed in it, but it went downhill fast."

Pros

Working with children who have different special needs
    Part time hours
    Good job if you want experience in the field

Cons

This place provides false hope for employees who truly care about this place and want to grow within the company. This place is going downhill and they are even cutting director positions and demoting directors as a means of saving the company money. The directors claim to always use them as a resource, however in times when you need them they are very often unavailable. I have countless times taken the initiative in asking to be trained in more areas and have never received the extra training that I thought I needed in order to help me do a better job. I was eventually told straight to my face by a director that she just did not want to train me. It is very discouraging working here because the coaches really do care about what they do but rarely receive positive feedback. Directors tend to focus more on negative aspects rather than the positive ones.

Advice to Management

Communicate with the staff and give positive feedback. There is more good being done than negative. Don't focus so much on small mistakes because everyone makes them. Give staff the tools they need in order to succeed.