BrightWave Reviews

BrightWave CEO Simms Jenkins
Simms Jenkins
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

So sad BrightWave is gone forever

Mar 4, 2021 - Art Director in Atlanta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

BrightWave had an amazing "family" culture. It was the nicest agency I've ever worked for. The collaboration and teamwork were out of this world!

Cons

BrightWave also had some of the cattiest / gossipy employees—which, includes management. People were afraid of confrontation and simply talking to one another.

President

Thank you for the post, and yes, the culture and the family-like vibe were incredible. We saw this even more during the initial months of the C-19 lockdown. Good to see some of this cultural influence start to shape Ansira as well. Related to selling to Ansira, it was the right thing to do at the time, the business was growing so fast and we needed a partner that could help us sustain that level of growth without risking the whole business. It's never easy to integrate with another company, however, I'm proud to see where folks from the BW entity are making an incredible impact on Ansira every day. It's not common for a small acquisition like BW to have such a large impact on a much larger organization, and that's a testament to the talent BW has and continues to have now within Ansira. We are now playing a much bigger game and I hope that's as exciting and challenging for legacy BW folks as it was when we were on a small island trying to survive high growth and limited capital. Thanks. Raj.

2. 2.0

n/a

Apr 21, 2021 - Technical Campaign Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

work from home (every other Friday)

Cons

pay, work load, stress, no room to grow

3. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

A front row seat to explosive growth with great coworkers.

Nov 29, 2018 - Vice President in Atlanta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Passionate, smart people. With every new round of hires, the quality of people increases exponentially. They all bring new ideas and a diverse set of experiences that make the work better. They are clear leaders in their industry as noted by several third-party media sources and by the collection of well-known, long-term clients. It’s been amazing to watch the company evolve and receive so much industry recognition. I’m proud to have been a part of it all.

Cons

As with any rapidly growing business, it’s not a fit for those with overly conservative/cautious mindsets. Those with drive and the ability to play well with others will thrive. Those more accustomed to territorial politics from the corporate world will have a hard time making friends.

1 person found this review helpful

President

Thank you for the feedback and very much on point. You are so right that the talent continues to evolve and improve allowing us to do more and stretch further ahead of our skies. Also, agree with your cons, this is an environment where we fight as a team, no single person is more important than the team's ability to perform as a unit. Thank you and all the best.

4. 5.0

BEST job EVER

May 22, 2019 - Hybrid Designer/Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great management, supportive to you learning new things, everyone has a voice, great recognition of achievements, great atmosphere to be creative, and very empathetic employees.

Cons

Long hours if you let yourself get behind

3 people found this review helpful

President

Thanks for the review, we appreciate all the positive sentiment and also think we have a pretty special work environment and culture. We strive for a work-life balance, and hopefully, that's reflective of the many benefits and the flexibility we provide, that's not to say we sometimes have to push some long hours from time-to-time to ensure success for our clients. At the end of the day, we fight as a team to push great work and results. Thank you for your review.

5. 5.0

Couldn't Be Happier! Great Agency To Work For

Oct 16, 2017 - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

As a relatively new employee to BrightWave, I have to say it has been a wonderful experience so far. Every one is very nice and helpful - always available to ask questions and jump in if you need. I also love how BrightWave encourages out of the box thinking. When looking for a new position, I wanted a place where I could be free to share my ideas and be valued. This is exactly that. BrightWave also does great client work and is constantly striving to be a key partner for all clients. We are consistently recognized in the industry, and it is great to work for a place that produces such great work. Our work is creatively innovative and constantly pushing the digital envelope. I am proud to work at Brightwave. The culture and work life balance are also a great perk of working at BrightWave. I feel like the company appreciates me and values my hard work. There is constant coffee, beer, and snacks - what's not to like? Lastly, I feel like my manager is invested in my personal development and growth. She is always available, knowledgeable, and a true inspiration for me. The opportunity for growth and advancement is here within BrightWave, and my manager supports this.

Cons

As with any company, there are growing pains and bottlenecks. However, the company is implementing process updates (slowly but surely) to make sure we all work better.

President

Thank you for the feedback. I'm glad to hear this has been a positive career move for you and that you enjoy and appreciate what many of us do; most importantly, the people, the work, and our awesome clients. And as you said, what's not to like about the beer, snacks, and coffee! Regarding our fast growth, this has positives, but can also be painful as we adapt the agency and often have to operate in the old ways, while developing new methods of working. It's always hard to change the engine while you are flying, but I know everyone is working hard towards this goal. Change is a constant in agencies and so we believe in transparency to ensure the whole team and help create new playbook for us. Thank you for sharing. Raj.

6. 5.0

A great place after sweeping changes in 2015

Feb 19, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

BrightWave is a fantastic group of people who are extremely passionate about what they do. Every person has the ability to make an impact on the company and their clients. If you put in the hard work and communicate with your manager, BrightWave offers some good opportunity to make your own path. You would be hard-pressed to find an agency with a stronger focus on recognition and "awesomeness" or better work-life balance. This isn't the BrightWave of 2014 or even 2015 - and that's a good thing. New people, new clients, new projects.. good stuff.

Cons

BrightWave is a small company (~30 people) growing fast. Some processes are clunky and unclear; training during onboarding and ongoing training are areas for improvement. Pay is not bad here, but I could earn more at a bigger company... the work-life balance definitely makes up for it though. Working at a small company means that you might not have some of the luxuries of a larger company (like an IT department). There are still a few big egos to contend with on the team, and the "us vs. them" culture creeps up between Account Service and Creative - pretty standard stuff for an agency.

1 person found this review helpful

Founder and CEO

Thanks for the review and for seeing a continued improvement in the agency. I am thrilled you called out our focus on recognition and awesomeness! I do agree that we can always improve some internal processes and strengthen training which has been a big focus of BrightWave the last 18 months. I do think our team views itself more as one cohesive team versus any departmental silos but please help us break those down as you see them. Also, feel free to point out where there is too much executive involvement – I know we have hired great people and want them to have the room to do their jobs. Thanks again for the review and encouragement and tips. -Simms Jenkins

7. 5.0

Special & Unique Agency - Best Job Yet

Aug 22, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Durham, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Best in the agency world at email -smart, hard working & fun people -great brands to work on & they depend on us -a lot of growth opportunities as we get bigger -laid back and flexible work environment with emphasis on work life balance. Family before clients is new to me -leadership is really open about all agency details-- worts and all. New to me here too. -Strong benefits, perks and fun team and outings far beyond what a similar company may offer.

Cons

-some deer in the headlight as we continue to grow -fast paced culture that is sink or swim (not a con to me but could be to others) -lack of clarity at times on who owns what, roles -resources have been a challenge in past but we have hired a lot of people recently so hopefully no issues in getting clients what they need

3 people found this review helpful

President

Thank you for the review. Yes, we believe we have the talent and innovative drive to truly become the best email agency. We are already far along this journey and I'm confident our growth and more importantly our talented people will push us to the top of the industry. As we've grown rapidly, we've had to adjust quickly and that's not always easy. Agencies like ours have to constantly reinvent how we operate and evolve, providing as much information/communication to the team only helps the people in this company create new ideas that can better the entire organization. Please keep talking to the management team and help us build a great agency.

8. 4.0

A Fast Growth Company

Aug 16, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Here are a few of the very positive BrightWave attributes and perks: - Fast growing company that continues to strive to be innovative in the email marketing space -Flexible work environment - WFH Friday's - Friendly and welcoming team members - Craft Beer on tap - Team Outings - The Leadership team hosts frequent meetings with the greater team to address questions, concerns, and to discuss the future of the company -HR really cares about the health and success of the employees

Cons

BrightWave is proactively putting fixes in place to solve internet issues and to revamp a few internal tools/systems. There are a few hardware glitches that can cause frustration but you find that at most agencies. The current team structure including the choice of titles can lead to some confusion when talking about differences in roles and expectations between various teams. There is a huge emphasis on growth and accurate reporting (which is great) but the current process is pretty manual and requires a substantial amount of time to calculate and document. The company is working on streamlining the process around reporting in general.

President

Thank you for the feedback and for the advice! Glad you listed out some of the fun perks, I'm a big fan of the beer on tap and WFH Fridays. Yes, we have more than our fair share of agency tool and Internet issues right now. Unfortunately our growth has made these problems even more apparent (especially the agency system) . We've had a working plan on addressing these these for several months. 1. The agency system/processes are being worked on by an internal team that I have trust and confidence to standup a new system and re-invent our workflows and processes from the ground-up. This has been in the works for the last 4 months+. 2. The internet is not an easy solve as we are in a building that doesn't have fiber and we are moving out in a few months which makes it hard to get anyone to install something new without a commitment on this space. I know it's annoying, but bear down, the next office space will have awesome internet. We did engage with an external consultant to help fix a few things and uncouple the agency from old legacy IT solutions. More to come. Thank you. Raj.

9. 5.0

Best Place I've Worked

Oct 4, 2016 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Smart + passionate people who are great to work with. Lots of cross-departmental collaboration and innovative work being done. Supportive environment for career development and growth. Not your typical long agency hours. Good work-life balance. Unmatched flexibility (huge deal). Entire company gets to work from home every other Friday. Really great time off and family leave policies, which were recently improved. Cool office - there is a bar with beer on tap. I honestly enjoy going to work every day, enjoy the work that I do and enjoy the people I work for and with. I've never been able to say that about any other job that I've had.

Cons

Pay is sub-par but the perks and soft benefits definitely make up for it. Open environment with a lot of things happening - hard to get solid time to focus on getting work done without being constantly interrupted, which is the nature of agency life.

President

Thanks for the feedback. We are also really proud of what we are creating and it all comes from individuals like you that make this place so great. This doesn’t come without challenges from time to time, but I know everyone has a voice in the organization and can contribute to being the best for our clients and for each other. There are always pros and cons of working in an open work environment. As our current employees know, I sit in an open workstation as well, as I enjoy getting a sense of the work being done around me, helping when I hear someone needs help, or the ability ask for ideas openly. I definitely understand the noise and distractions; it's not for everyone, but it’s easy to find ways to thrive and focus in our many conference rooms. I too love the beer on tap:-). And thanks for recognizing the soft benefits- they’re something we work hard to deliver. Raj Choudhury - President.

10. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Glassdoor Reviewer

Aug 18, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

BrightWave's team is bright, hardworking and passionate about providing an excellent product. The people are fantastic and they are one of the best parts of the company. BrightWave is going places, fast, and it's extremely exciting to be a part of a company that has such a bright future. The work being done is incredibly innovative and we are truly the leaders in email marketing.

Cons

Accountability is a huge issue and a lot of the problems ultimately result in the blame game. There is also an issue with leadership support and appreciation. Concepts are for the most part outdated and an internal revamping should be done in order to remain relevant and to become a contender for best places to work in Atlanta.

President

Appreciate the feedback and I'd welcome any direct 1-1 time to listen to any and all ideas on improving both accountability and employee appreciation. A big part of why I joined BrightWave was also because of the people and knowing the ideas we could create together would lead us down a path to re-invent the industry. You are right, we are growing quickly and with that comes change, which we have changed over the last 12 months, but I recognize more can be done, and again I welcome your ideas. Raj

Viewing 1 - 10 of 19 Reviews