BrightWave Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
BrightWave CEO Simms Jenkins
Simms Jenkins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A front row seat to explosive growth with great coworkers."

Former Employee - Vice President in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Atlanta, GA

I worked at BrightWave full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Passionate, smart people. With every new round of hires, the quality of people increases exponentially. They all bring new ideas and a diverse set of experiences that make the work better. They are clear leaders in their industry as noted by several third-party media sources and by the collection of well-known, long-term clients. It’s been amazing to watch the company evolve and receive so much industry recognition. I’m proud to have been a part of it all.

Cons

As with any rapidly growing business, it’s not a fit for those with overly conservative/cautious mindsets. Those with drive and the ability to play well with others will thrive. Those more accustomed to territorial politics from the corporate world will have a hard time making friends.

Advice to Management

Continue the focus on innovation. Keep up the fun culture.

Dec 5, 2018 – President

Thank you for the feedback and very much on point. You are so right that the talent continues to evolve and improve allowing us to do more and stretch further ahead of our skies. Also, agree with... More

"Refreshing For An Agency"

Current Employee - Front End Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Front End Developer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at BrightWave full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most agencies I've worked with are cut throat and don't really take care of their employees. This is not the case for BrightWave. They actively ask for input and take every step possible to make our lives easier while still pumping out work.

Outings - they take employees out on half day outings every once in a while and they're a lot of fun. So far I've gone to top golf and ponce city market.

Beer On Tap - I've worked at companies who claim they're friendly to drinking some beer but this company really embraces it. It's not like people are getting drunk or anything but in agency life it can be stressful so the ability to have a judge free 4:00pm beer on a stressful day is awesome.

Passion - this place is full of people who are passionate about email. You'll rarely find somebody who just coasts by. Everybody (mostly) is pulling their own weight and they're here to do a good job. They also strive to be one of, if not the, top dog in the email field which is pretty cool. Set your standards high and it will trickle down.

People - so far I'm a fan of most of the people I work with. They've done a great job hiring people who really contribute to the company.

HR - probably the best HR experience I've had in a company. One on one meeting when I got hired was a great experience and Quinn made sure I understood everything before we finished up.

Cons

Growth - because this company has grown so much there are a lot of pains that come along with it. Old ways don't work so well anymore so there's always room for optimization / doing things differently.

Challenging Work - this work is very challenging and time is tight so there's pretty much no room for error and when you do you have to stay to make sure things are taken care of. The positive side of this is that you are inclined to learn things the right way.

Work load - I'd say the biggest part that differs from most other companies is the work load. I'm pushed to the limit most days and almost never have a chance to take a breath. That's pretty typical of an agency though.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, you're doing it right. My only advice would be to pad the timing better. There are way too many emergencies and mis-estimated tasks that make me work late which eats into that whole, 'work / life balance'.

Jan 3, 2018 – President

Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed feedback. On the pro's, I very much agree with everything you say. I think the people and the type of work we are trying to push really makes this place a... More

"Best eCRM and Email Agency in North America"

Current Employee - Vice President of Business Development in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Vice President of Business Development in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at BrightWave full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

BrightWave truly is an amazing and outstanding place to not only hone expertise in email and eCRM, but to be part of an exceptional team. From leadership down every employee truly loves what they do and the agency cares about taking care of the team. Both hard and soft benefits rival that of any company in-town. From catered lunches and tenure trips to WFH Fridays the benefit structure is outstanding and very forward thinking and employee centric. When it comes to clients the agency is loaded with large-scale engagements across diverse Fortune 500 brands serving not only as an agency partner but as a critical business partner. For any accomplished or aspiring marketer BrightWave is pushing transformational, innovative and award winning work in all areas of eCRM. HR consistently has a very firm pulse on the culture and is in-tune with the realities of protecting and growing the team while delivering tremendous work life balance that many agencies struggle with. Leadership has a very strategic growth mindset and the agency is on track to maintain substantial growth and national market leadership for years to come. BrightWave is a special place to work and great for anyone looking to take their career to the next level.

Cons

There really are not bad things to say about BrightWave. lf you've been in the agency or professional services space for a while it is a breath of fresh air from a culture perspective. Investments have been made in all areas of the business from infrastructure, technology, people and training and the CEO has done an amazing job of building out a well rounded and diverse leadership team. Senior leaders are very focused on continuing to not only grow the team but also maintain the special BrightWave culture through the next chapter of agency growth.

Advice to Management

Stay the course of forward thinking growth and continue to emphasize employee satisfaction and client success. The amazing full-service team is the best in the business and continue to hire only A+ players. BrightWave has worked hard to be the best eCRM agency in North America and the best is yet to come!

Jan 3, 2018 – President

Thank you for the comments. I know the entire team has worked hard to get us to where we are and know we still have a long and exciting road ahead of us. I can't emphasize enough the wonderful people... More

"Couldn't Be Happier! Great Agency To Work For"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at BrightWave full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a relatively new employee to BrightWave, I have to say it has been a wonderful experience so far. Every one is very nice and helpful - always available to ask questions and jump in if you need. I also love how BrightWave encourages out of the box thinking. When looking for a new position, I wanted a place where I could be free to share my ideas and be valued. This is exactly that.

BrightWave also does great client work and is constantly striving to be a key partner for all clients. We are consistently recognized in the industry, and it is great to work for a place that produces such great work. Our work is creatively innovative and constantly pushing the digital envelope. I am proud to work at Brightwave.

The culture and work life balance are also a great perk of working at BrightWave. I feel like the company appreciates me and values my hard work. There is constant coffee, beer, and snacks - what's not to like?

Lastly, I feel like my manager is invested in my personal development and growth. She is always available, knowledgeable, and a true inspiration for me. The opportunity for growth and advancement is here within BrightWave, and my manager supports this.

Cons

As with any company, there are growing pains and bottlenecks. However, the company is implementing process updates (slowly but surely) to make sure we all work better.

Advice to Management

Enjoy the transparency from upper management - keep it up! The CEO is involved and makes an effort to be present and that is greatly appreciated.

Oct 23, 2017 – President

Thank you for the feedback. I'm glad to hear this has been a positive career move for you and that you enjoy and appreciate what many of us do; most importantly, the people, the work, and our awesome... More

"Would't work for another agency"

I have been working at BrightWave full-time

Pros

The people (both employees and clients) make this place special. My favortie thing about what we do? Making an impact for our clients and their customers. Sure, it is sometimes a challenge but that is what makes the successes more rewarding.

Cons

Growing pains...we have those for sure, but I'd prefer to be part of growing pains than shrinking pains.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on what each of you need to do (and do WELL). The more focused you are on the things that matter, the less confusion there is across the board.

Sep 8, 2017 – President

Thanks for the review. Very well said about being part of growing pains than the opposite. Yes, we have been growing quickly, and as a result, we have to continually challenge how we operate, how we... More

"Special & Unique Agency - Best Job Yet"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at BrightWave full-time

Pros

-Best in the agency world at email
    -smart, hard working & fun people
    -great brands to work on & they depend on us
    -a lot of growth opportunities as we get bigger
    -laid back and flexible work environment with emphasis on work life balance. Family before clients is new to me
    -leadership is really open about all agency details-- worts and all. New to me here too.
    -Strong benefits, perks and fun team and outings far beyond what a similar company may offer.

Cons

-some deer in the headlight as we continue to grow
    -fast paced culture that is sink or swim (not a con to me but could be to others)
    -lack of clarity at times on who owns what, roles
    -resources have been a challenge in past but we have hired a lot of people recently so hopefully no issues in getting clients what they need

Advice to Management

Keep up the efforts in making BrightWave the best in the agency world and a great Atlanta employer.As we grow keep up the communication and opportunities for current employees.Don't lose the flexibility that makes this a special agency job.

Aug 28, 2017 – President

Thank you for the review. Yes, we believe we have the talent and innovative drive to truly become the best email agency. We are already far along this journey and I'm confident our growth and more... More

"Great people and culture!"

I have been working at BrightWave full-time

Pros

BrightWave's greatest asset is it's people. Management clearly cares about its employees and making the place fun. The company will reward talent by allowing them to grow where they show real promise. The job affords ability to work on some major brands.

Cons

Fast growth means the only constant is change.

Aug 21, 2017 – President

Thank you for the review. Yes, I agree 100%, our greatest asset is our people; but more so how our people work together and have empathy for each other. Change is a good thing that brings new... More

"A Fast Growth Company"

I have been working at BrightWave full-time

Pros

Here are a few of the very positive BrightWave attributes and perks:

- Fast growing company that continues to strive to be innovative in the email marketing space

-Flexible work environment

- WFH Friday's

- Friendly and welcoming team members

- Craft Beer on tap

- Team Outings

- The Leadership team hosts frequent meetings with the greater team to address questions, concerns, and to discuss the future of the company

-HR really cares about the health and success of the employees

Cons

BrightWave is proactively putting fixes in place to solve internet issues and to revamp a few internal tools/systems. There are a few hardware glitches that can cause frustration but you find that at most agencies. The current team structure including the choice of titles can lead to some confusion when talking about differences in roles and expectations between various teams. There is a huge emphasis on growth and accurate reporting (which is great) but the current process is pretty manual and requires a substantial amount of time to calculate and document. The company is working on streamlining the process around reporting in general.

Advice to Management

Empower employees to take on more ownership and individual contribution towards providing a resolution or solve for the larger company wide initiatives. Listen and look out for employees that are 'change agents' or whom bring a different perspective to the table to gain further insight and ideas around how to better BrightWave.

Aug 21, 2017 – President

Thank you for the feedback and for the advice! Glad you listed out some of the fun perks, I'm a big fan of the beer on tap and WFH Fridays. Yes, we have more than our fair share of agency tool and... More

9. "Glassdoor Reviewer"

I have been working at BrightWave full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BrightWave's team is bright, hardworking and passionate about providing an excellent product. The people are fantastic and they are one of the best parts of the company. BrightWave is going places, fast, and it's extremely exciting to be a part of a company that has such a bright future. The work being done is incredibly innovative and we are truly the leaders in email marketing.

Cons

Accountability is a huge issue and a lot of the problems ultimately result in the blame game. There is also an issue with leadership support and appreciation. Concepts are for the most part outdated and an internal revamping should be done in order to remain relevant and to become a contender for best places to work in Atlanta.

Advice to Management

You have some of the hardest working people in the industry on your payroll - nurture them and appreciate what they bring to the table. Strengthen them to the best of your ability and acknowledge their hard work. The results will be beneficial in regards to the product and the company as a whole. BrightWave is no longer a 20 person company and needs to be handled with new gloves.

Aug 21, 2017 – President

Appreciate the feedback and I'd welcome any direct 1-1 time to listen to any and all ideas on improving both accountability and employee appreciation. A big part of why I joined BrightWave was also... More

"Fantastic Place to Work"

I have been working at BrightWave full-time

Pros

- BrightWave offers me a lot of flexibility in my job. They are very understanding if you need to take time off for appointments, vacation or even a personal day.
    - I really enjoy the work from home Fridays every other week and the generous PTO and Flex time package.
    - BrightWave recognizes the hard work I put in on a day to day basis and I appreciate them looking out for me.
    - The people who work here are fantastic, some of the brightest and smartest in the email space so I am constantly learning from my peers.

Cons

- Sometimes the open environment can make it difficult to concentrate, but it does foster easy communication.

Mar 13, 2017 – President

Thank you for the feedback. It's always refreshing to know some of the soft benefits like work from home Friday and flex days are well received. I'd also agree with your comment about the people and... More