Broe Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Pat Broe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "BROE is actually a good place to work, changing culture and environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Broe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I came from a very large company where I was invisible and voiceless. Since starting at BROE, I see that my voice and opinions are respected and heard. The culture has shifted in the past year. Many more women and minorities are now on the payroll. Is there still room for improvement? Of course! But, the bad reviews the company has received in the past, while once were valid, are no longer true to date.

Cons

None to date, but will update in another year.

Advice to Management

Keep up the positive changes!

2. "A great company with great people!"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Denver, CO

I worked at Broe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked as an Executive Assistant at Broe for over two and a half years and have nothing but great things to say about my time at Broe. I worked closely with Pat Broe (CEO), Greg Gallagher (CIO), as well as the rest of the Broe Management team and have very fond memories with everyone. I was treated with the utmost respect and found it to be a positive and rewarding environment. I was able to grow immensely within my role and was challenged which I very much enjoyed.

I highly recommend working here and would be happy to speak with anyone who is considering it.

Cons

Just be prepared to work hard, if you are driven you can make great strides with the company (which really isn't a con).

3. "Successful Investment Firm"

I worked at Broe full-time

Pros

Highly successful investment firm that’s well capitalized and provides incredible growth opportunities for its team members. The organization is flat which provides access to Pat [Broe] and other chief executives. My time at Broe was invaluable and anyone lucky enough to get an opportunity to work there should strongly consider it.

Cons

Broe is involved in very competitive businesses, and requires its team members to have a tremendous work ethic and push themselves to think critically and strategically. This expectation creates a high-pace and highly successful environment, but isn’t for everyone. At Broe, hard work and follow-through is rewarded – but carelessness, laziness, and disrespect is not (and should not) be tolerated. If that philosophy creates a “tough” culture for you, then you should move on – but If you want to work with one of the best in the business, I’d give Broe a hard look.

Advice to Management

Do not lose the entrepreneurial spirit that has fueled this firm. Policy and procedures are important, but continue to be passionately curious, and don’t be afraid to explore contrarian investment strategies!

"Tough but worth it..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Broe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When I was a new employee there co-workers were friendly and helpful when I had questions. Co-workers were willing to help you find the answers you were looking for.

Cons

Lines of communication from management where at times closed.

Advice to Management

Keep the lines of communication open. When employees feel that they can come ask questions and get the answers they need to complete their work with success they are happier.

5. "It was hard- but I'm a better business person for it."

Pros

Yes, as the other reviews would lead you to believe... it can be a very challenging place to work. There are lots of old school ideas. But with old school ideas comes some valuable benefits & lessons. You learn to work HARD - really HARD. You learn to be super tough and a bit shrewd. You will refine your critical thinking skills and develop high standards. You will be a part of really big complicated deals and learn how to drive them HARD to completion. If you are ready to thicken your skin, and learn A LOT- then go for it!

I really enjoyed my time there and I think that I am a WAY better business person for it. There were a couple of key leaders that did create a toxic environment and both are now gone. Now there are a couple key leaders (particularly in BROE finance and OmniTRAX leadership that are absolutely amazing).

Regardless of what you think of his style, Pat Broe is a successful impressive self-made business man. He has a business-brain in an Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos sort of way... he is very difficult to figure out and understand. His brain works differently and soft skills are not his strength. But he is a good man, with a fascinating business mind. If you have the opportunity to learn from him and observe him- take it.

Cons

No one will pretend that this is a hip cool compassionate culture... It is a tough environment that drives hard-nosed business. Unfortunately the management style does drive away talent at times. This may be hurting the business... but as an employee you will be so much better for it for having learned from these guys!

Advice to Management

Congratulations on getting the right people into places of power. Trust Kevin Shuba like your business depends on it. It does. Keep being hard on your employees. But also focus on developing them- the more power you relinquish, the more surprised you might be at just how impressive some of your top managers are.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Broe (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is dynamic and growing, there are opportunities for hard workers with talent in certain departments - especially if it's a department that can generate income and profits.

Cons

Toxic environment with poor culture. They say they want to change the culture, but their actions show otherwise. Employees are not valued and some senior management are abusive.

Advice to Management

Nothing will change under the current leadership

"Keep looking"

I worked at Broe full-time

Pros

Close proximity to Cherry Creek Shopping Center and lots of restaurants, company provides some lunches.

Cons

This company does not value its employees, many in management do not have a clue in what there doing they just make it up as they go along, and if you make suggestions how to make improvements, your are a trouble maker. Employee turnover is extreme, employees come and go on a weekly basis.

Advice to Management

Take the time to hire better managers, and start performing exit interviews, you might learn something about what has been an on going problem for quite a long time.

"Executive Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

They say that they are trying to change but I haven't seen it.

Cons

Extremely difficult environment to work in.

"Evil"

I worked at Broe full-time

Pros

Nice location, free parking, good places to eat in the area. Close the the mall and shopping. There really are not any pros to actually working there.

Cons

They like to hire recent graduates for staff positions, pay them low wages and get rid of them once it's time for a review/raise.

When I was there I was routinely asked to illegally pirate software and then shown the door when I gave some push back. I have never worked in a place like this where management just ignored workplace laws like no smoking and were absolutely mean to their employees.

There is also absolutely no ethics when it comes to diversity in the workplace. If you are not white, straight, male and christian don't bother applying. This is a good old boys club that just ignores EOP standards. One day it will come back to bite them.

Advice to Management

Don't be so mean.

10. "Company has come a long way with improving environment"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Denver, CO

Pros

Excellent pay, outstanding benefits, great management support, bright coworkers, fun neighborhood to work in, advancement opportunities if you work hard, workplace has a family feel, great work-life balance

Cons

Sometimes seems a little too serious but that has a silver lining, it's a direct result of a hard working cohesive group

Advice to Management

I have seen amazing strides of this company's organizational culture improving in the year that I was employed, keep up the work environment improvements, listen to your bright employees that work there and be open to change.