Bus2Alps Reviews | Glassdoor

Bus2Alps CEO Vanessa Latessa
Vanessa Latessa

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Intern"

Pros

Great perks like travel and great life experiences

Cons

No base pay, even for guiding trips. All commission pay structure.

2. "Great if you want to live abroad"

Pros

Travel/ Friends/ Experience /Europe/Life/ Food

Cons

Take advantage of entry level youth who want to work abroad.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees livable wages.

3. "Incredible opportunity with room for growth. 10/10 would recommend"

I worked at Bus2Alps full-time

Pros

Working at Bus2alps is a once and lifetime opportunity and one of the best decisions I have ever made. Not only do you get to travel the world, but your co-workers will soon become your best friends. Housing, cell phone, and travel expenses are all included. Because the company is growing quickly, there are plenty of opportunities to move up and advance quickly if you put in the work. If you stay at the company for longer than one semester, you will have the ability to become involved in several aspects of the business as you develop your area of expertise. While compensation starts out on the lower end, with proven results, Management is willing to increase your compensation fairly. Management does a great job at listening to all employees who give them thoughtful and constructive feedback. Additionally, time off and the vacation policy is extremely flexible dependent on your commitment to the company.

Cons

During the high season it is truly a 24/7 stressful and exhausting job with little time for a life outside of work. Working, living and spending each and every day with you co-workers/friends can become difficult to balance.

Advice to Management

Positive reinforcement to the staff goes a long way.

"Amazing experience, lots of hard work"

I worked at Bus2Alps full-time

Pros

- Amazing people to work and live with, they become your family
    - Company provides housing at a low cost to employees which is a huge help when moving abroad
    - Ability to move into management positions quickly
    - Travel all over Europe each weekend
    - "Work from home" type of environment, no office setting unless you are a higher manager. Ability to travel and work from anywhere 75% of the time
    - Learn a lot about yourself and job environment allows you to change your perspective on travel, meeting new people, and independence

My overall experience with Bus2alps was a positive one. I was able to move from the position of an intern into a management position within my time with the company. Learned so much about myself, my management style and how to manage teams, traveling vs. vacationing, and living abroad. I loved the work that I was doing and I was challenged by my work. I was working a lot, but in all honesty I didn't mind because I enjoyed doing my job. The best part about this job is the friendships and network that you will build with the other people that work for Bus2alps. They are some of the most incredible and inspiring people that I have ever met. I know that I will keep in touch with them and have a place to stay in almost every state in the US if I needed it.

Cons

- Working 24/7, hard to shut off your work brain (pro and con as you care so much about the success of the company, that you can't seem to take a step away sometimes)
    - Stressful and high pressure situations (again pro and con of the job -- you learn how to deal with these situations, but they suck at the time)
    - Remote management can be a challenge to overcome as your direct managers are in a different country and only see the surface of your work as opposed to watching you work everyday. Struggled a lot with this during my time with the company
    - Managing your time is difficult as it is a company of about 40-50 employees. You are being pulled in a lot of different directions with fresh out of college employees that need a lot of guidance in order to understand how to do their jobs. Leads you to spending time away from your important work to train new employees every 6 months or so. You need to focus on delegation and training in the beginning to lower your workload down the line.
    - Low compensation for the amount of work being completed, high targets make getting bonuses difficult
    - Not a lot of positive reinforcement for a job well done. Seems like the only thing that is recognized is negative things. Felt on edge that I was doing something wrong all the time

Advice to Management

My biggest advice to management would be to be more open to constructive criticisms and new ideas. This job is a difficult environment to be in and because travel is such a volatile industry, give your employees (all employees, not just middle management) more opportunities to come forward with new ideas and feel utilized. I also think there should be more opportunities for positive reinforcement among managers. It doesn't have to be a good job everyday, but just recognizing when someone puts in that extra effort to help solve a problem or goes out of their way to do something, there should be a pat on the back. A lot of negative things can be very demoralizing to someone who works incredibly hard to help the company run. This also can trickle over into middle management's style as well in terms of how they manage their teams. Overall, like I said this experience was amazing and I thank my lucky stars everyday that I was hired. I loved working for such a young and exciting company and I will take the things I've learned from Bus2alps with me forever. There were some low lows, but the highs were even higher than you can ever imagine.

Thank you for an amazing experience b2a :) I'll always rep the bus2alps blue proudly!

5. "Intern/Specialist"

I worked at Bus2Alps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Travel. Commission is available. People you work with. Very little costs.

Cons

Management has no business knowledge

Advice to Management

Go back to college.

6. "A priceless experience post grad"

Pros

Once in a lifetime experience - the chance to live abroad and travel to multiple different countries, the greatest co workers possible, opportunity for growth and to work your way up in the company, provides immeasurable personal and professional growth

Cons

It unfortunately is not a very sustainable job and life style you can live for long. There is a very high turn over rate - you literally work 24/7, very limited personal time outside of work responsibilities, poor pay, lack of transparency and professionalism by management at times

Advice to Management

There is great value in expressing appreciation and respect to your employees

7. "Internship Experience"

Pros

There are several pros to working at Bus2Alps. The crazy adventures, the lifelong friends you make, living in a foreign city for months or even years, and traveling to several different cities guiding trips. It is also a huge growing experience in your professional and personal life. Although there are many cons listed below I am still glad I had this experience with Bus2Alps, I just think people need to know what they're getting themselves into before the move far away from home to work for this company. The exhaustion and stress may seem unbearable at times but what you get out of the experience as a whole makes it worth the adventure.

Cons

This is a 24/7 job. Once you arrive in your assigned city you wont have any time to breath. You are required to go out to bars every night in order to make connections with students until late hours and then wake up at 8 or 9am to begin flyering on the streets until around 4 or 5pm. Then you will head home to get right on your computer to work on sales or the overload of trip prep you have pilling up and then you will start it all over again by getting ready to go out that night. There is a lot to learn with minimal training so the first few months will be hectic while adjusting to living in a foreign country. Please note you are not pay is minimal and make sure you have plenty of money saved up before taking a job with this company.

Advice to Management

Show more appreciation to your employees. The turnover rate of Bus2Alps is so high because of management and the way they conduct themselves. There needs to be better training, communication, and better recognition of how hard everyone works for this company.

8. "Great for a short period"

I worked at Bus2Alps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You'll make amazing friends and get the opportunity to travel all of Europe for free. There's also the benefit of extreme variety and a non-traditional work day. You'll never be bored sitting in an office staring at a computer all day.

Cons

It's not a very sustainable job. Most people only last a semester or two because they work load is insane without much money or appreciation in return.

9. "My Review"

Pros

A very cost effective way to live abroad for an extended period of time and travel extensively. Low housing costs and sustainable compensation. Lots of benefits like free meals and activities.

Cons

There isn't a lot of transparency with upper management. It's a demanding lifestyle, little to no free time outside of work responsibilities. Many people would say it bring the most bi-polar side out of you with the highs and lows of the job, to me it was worth it.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be more transparent in the interviewing process and to make the employees feel more valued for what they do.

10. "amazing experience"

Pros

travel and great work culture you work with your friends

Cons

unorganized some favoritism involved in staffing