Byte Back Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 16, 2018

3.4
Elizabeth Lindsey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Amazing team of people who believe in Byte Back's mission"

I have been working at Byte Back full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hardworking coworkers who love Byte Back's mission; Executive Director has an amazing vision for the organization which has improved in recent years; real potential for upward mobility and professional growth; diverse and inclusive workplace with a great culture; management are more than willing to listen to staff and push for changes.

Cons

Due to the small number of staff, things can sometimes get a bit hectic, but work/life balance is still good overall.

Advice to Management

I think management is already doing a great job, I would just advise them to continue listening to all staff input and be as open and communicative ad possible.

2. "Great Mission & Team Make a Great Workplace"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Byte Back full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The team is united in working toward a great, meaningful mission. Benefits, support from leadership, beautiful offices...

Cons

There is a lot of ambitious work to do, but work-life balance is valued and staff is supportive.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Certification Programs Administrator in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Certification Programs Administrator in Washington, DC

I worked at Byte Back full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Helping low income to get certified and employment

Cons

No communication, a lot of gossip, lot of blames because people are not doing what they supposed to do. Unnecessary meetings! No Instructions

Advice to Management

Management should listen to the employees instead of thinking they are just complaining

"Culturally challenged but good intent."

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Byte Back as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The professional staff really care about the outcomes of the trainings they conduct on employees and trainees.

Cons

Sometimes there is a disconnect between the way they treat individuals east of the bridge and the northwest types with their performance expectations.

Advice to Management

People are people, know this, regardless of class designation. Also don't rely on Americorp so much to fill staffing needs.

"Good people stuck in a struggling organization"

I worked at Byte Back full-time

Pros

This organization manages to attract some smart, hardworking people who genuinely care about the work being done there. And I do think the organization is making a difference within the community. If you really want to break into the nonprofit sector, you can gain a lot of valuable experience here.

Cons

The director rules the organization like a dictatorship. There's very little administrative support and no HR presence (though this is changing). Some employees are held to impossible standards while others have too little to do. There is extremely poor communication among the employees and with the management. I've heard that some of this has improved since the hiring of the new deputy director, but the organization has lost a lot of employees over the past two years due to poor management.

Advice to Management

Provide more structure for the organization (clear goals and regular evaluations). Be open to receiving feedback from employees (and don't punish those you label "complainers"). Managing employees needs to shift away from the director completely. The future of the organization is really going to depend on who is hired as the new executive director.

Byte Back Response

Dec 20, 2017 – Operations Director

Let me start off by saying thank you so much for your input. I am sorry that your experience in 2014 with Byte Back was not one that would motivate you to provide a positive review about us. We... More