76% would recommend to a friend
(138 total reviews)
75% approve of CEO
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Pay and benefits are good." (in 21 reviews)
- "Great opportunities to make an impact for your country." (in 6 reviews)
- "Best people you'll ever work with/for." (in 5 reviews)
- "Good Pay and Benefits also if you like the type of work you'll enjoy going to work everyday." (in 4 reviews)
- "Excellent colleagues, extensive opportunities, opportunities to address exciting issues." (in 4 reviews)
- "1. Long hours; 2. Sometimes you have to work with people that should have left years ago." (in 10 reviews)
- "Bad middle management." (in 6 reviews)
- "low salary" (in 3 reviews)
- "CIA managers are not trained to recognize FMLA or ADA protected absences, particularly for sandwich generation employees, or those with caregiving responsibilities." (in 2 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of CIA and is not affected by filters.
Found 138 of over 159 reviews
Updated Nov 14, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 5.0Aug 4, 2023Technical Operations AnalystFormer Employee, more than 10 yearsWashington, DC
Great organization to work for; salaries are below what private sector pays but other benefits make up the difference
Working in Washington Metropolitan Area is expensive area
- 5.0Jul 18, 2021Chief Science OfficerCurrent EmployeePuyallup, WA
Job security and potential for advancement.
Very demanding, non-stop work, sometimes all time consuming.122
- 4.0Aug 11, 2023Senior Intelligence Analyst - SecurityFormer Employee, more than 10 yearsWashington, DC
Access to high level information regarding US policy Working with the brightest minds in the world Access to high quality training International Relations experience
Invasive in personal life, which unfortunately is the trade off for access to classified information. Can involve travel and job with high risks Can bring work home, so may work long hours. Often requires secrecy which can affect relationship with family and friends.1
- 4.0Jul 19, 2023Intelligence AnalystFormer Employee, less than 1 yearWashington, DC
The mission is always a pro, you are working towards a goal that you believe in (hopefully). Good pay, co workers and managers were great, lots of room for movement either to different departments to work on very different areas of projects or upwards to management roles
different departments seem to not work super well together, almost feels they are always competing with each other for a slice of the pie expect long hours, 100% in office, not being able to talk about work to friends and/or family2
- 5.0Jul 13, 2023AgentCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearWashington, DC
Great hours, if you like working 24 in a row.
Constantly being compared to Jason Bourne. "Jason this...." "Jason that...."2
- 3.0May 3, 2023Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearAlbany, OR
To keep your family safe in your country safe to be better than most towing. To protect people to be good to be great and never surrender.
Your family will never know what you do. No one will ever know what you did what it cost to do the right thing a few people that you will think you are the worst person in the world
- 3.0Jun 24, 2023Interactive DesignerCurrent Employee
Collaborative teammates get the job done
Upper management feels increasingly out of touch, especially since covid
- 3.0Apr 30, 2023InspectorCurrent Employee, more than 10 yearsWashington, DC
The benefit package is competitive and you receive periodic pay increases.
It's a bureaucracy that rewards conformity and risk aversion over innovation and problem solving. The pay is competitive at the middle grades but low in the junior and more senior grades. At a certain point you stop receiving pay increases aside from annual cost of living adjustments that never match the actual rate of inflation.1
CIA Reviews FAQs
CIA has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 159 reviews left anonymously by employees. 76% of employees would recommend working at CIA to a friend and 65% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 7% over the last 12 months.
76% of CIA employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated CIA 3.7 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.6 for culture and values and 3.9 for career opportunities.