CIA Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CIA Interview Questions

Interviews at CIA

2.8

Computer Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at CIA in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online. Process took around 6 months. Few weeks after submitting my application I got an email asking me four questions (name, major...etc) Then few weeks later they sent me another email asking me to do a timed IQ-like test. and another 200~ questions behavioral test that took around 20 minutes to complete. After that they set up an on-site interview in the DC area which I asked them to reschedule to a different date for personal reasons. They flew me in the day before the interview. Everyone was nice to me and overall, I had a positive experience (Although it did feel like one of the interviewers seemed to dislike me)
    The interview was completely behavioral and no technical questions were asked.
    Besides the fact that I kind of messed up on the interview, I think my dual citizenship/Background had a major part in their decision.
    As for the interview questions,
    forgive me, I don't fully remember them but here goes:

Interview Questions

• A constructive piece of criticism you got from someone and how you received it   1 Answer
    • How you soothed out differences with a difficult person you worked with   Answer Question
    • A misconception that people may have about you   Answer Question
    • How would you be able put your skills to use?
      What skills would you bring in to their workplace   Answer Question
    • What is your ideal job?
      Have you ever influenced someone to do something (positive)? How/What   Answer Question

STE Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at CIA (Washington, DC) in December 2016.

Interview

Had 2 online assessments (IQ & personality test). Then got invited to DC for an in-person interview where you learn more about the Agency and its goals. The reason why I turned down my offer is because I applied for an intern role but they offered me a full-time role because they couldn't get me security clearance (which takes 9-12 months) in time for an internship. Moreover, the entry level salary was also 80k, which is not very competitive against the private sector's demand for SWE.

Interview Questions

• Very standard behavioral interview e.g. tell me about yourself   2 Answers

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at CIA in February 2014.

Interview

After meeting with the recruiter at a career fair, the next day I got an interview. The interview was easy and fun as long as you remained honest (and signed a do express detail clause). After the interview, I applied online for the position and was contacted to complete some tests. The problem with that is the test kept breaking (I could not get a prompt to come up-which was very frustrating) They sent a conditional offer and asked me to come up to DC for a week to do another interview session and testing. SInce I said no, I did not go past that point.

Interview Questions

• What is your most difficult situation in a team   2 Answers

I did not want to wait a year to start work.

Analyst Interview

Interview

On-campus recruiters came to my school; I submitted my resume and was asked to come the next day for an on-campus interview for a science/technology analyst. The 2 female interviewers were nice, but asked challenging questions. Maybe 2 weeks later, I was emailed to take online tests -- a personality one and a timed IQ-type test. I thought that I did well enough on the IQ test, but probably didn't pass the personality test (I have anxiety issues that it asked about). I got a rejection letter in the mail a few weeks later.

Interview Questions

• What is a science/technology issue currently facing the US, and what would you do to address it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CIA (Washington, DC) in January 2008.

Interview

The interview lasted for about 1 hour. The questions were both about my professional qualifications, along with my personal situation. At one point the interviewer had me explain to him my understanding of the political situation in a region outside the US. I could choose the region I told him about. The interviewer was very interested to know my language skills.

Interview Questions

• Tell me, in detail, your understanding of a political situation of a country outside your area of expertise.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CIA in August 2016.

Interview

phone interview after online personality quiz and mock case. 2 women conducted the interview and went through several standard/general interview questions about me. The interview lasted for about an hour.

Interview Questions

• Describe an instance where you worked in a team and had to adapt.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Interview

It was an hour long phone interview. Pretty basic behavioral stuff to be honest. Most of the evaluation comes from your writing samples, the qualification supplement, your transcript, and the rest. I wouldn't sweat the phone interview. The security clearance though is what's gonna give you nightmares...

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you received negative feedback, and how did you respond?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chantilly, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at CIA (Chantilly, VA) in January 2018.

Interview

After the application, about 2 weeks later I received an invitation to take an online assessment and write some essays. First was an online skills assessment which consisted of mainly logic games, like how would this unrolled six-sided figure look if rolled back up. Then a behavioral test with psychological questions.

After another 2 or 3 weeks, I received an invitation for an in-person interview. They fly you out to DC for an in person interview. Before going, they ask for more essays. You are responsible for booking everything and the perdiem they give you in the form of a gift card is less than the GSA rate so go cheap in your hotel.

At the interview, they group you into pairs of four or five and deliver a presentation initially on why the CIA is great. This takes about 30 minutes. After that there is a group information session about the specific position you are being interviewed for with a higher up from that division of the agency. This takes about 15 minutes. Finally, you go into a two-person panel interview where they trade-off questions. There was only about 6 or 7 questions and they all behavioral, none were technical, mainly focused on people management and "fit". After the interview they send you off home. I'm guessing if they really like you they ask you to stay or not.

I received an email notification about a week later that I didn't get the job. Kind of crazy they fly you out for a touch time of about 45 minutes to an hour. I thought my answers were cogent and got to the heart of the challenges in the government, i.e. the people and the red tape. But I guess with my private sector experience, I didn't make a good fit for a paper pusher.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you manipulated someone to get what you want?   2 Answers
    • Name a difficult person you dealt with?   Answer Question
    • Are you a big picture or detail-orientated person?   3 Answers

Intelligence Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at CIA (Washington, DC) in January 2013.

Interview

For someone who already possess a top secret security clearance, the process takes two to three months, and requires a polygraph test. The best way to get an interview is to be referred by a current employee.

Interview Questions

• The questions are straight forward. The questions asked of me fell into two categories: subject matter expertise, foreign contacts, and criminal history.   3 Answers

Intelligence Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at CIA (Washington, DC) in June 2018.

Interview

Submitted application online and got an email a week later to finish a language test and reasoning test and personality test. Didn't hear back after that, so assuming that I did not get the position.