CableLabs Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CableLabs President & CEO Phil McKinney
Phil McKinney

1. "Lots of Projects & Freedom & Collaboration, Few Buddies"

Current Employee - Strategist in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Strategist in Louisville, CO

I have been working at CableLabs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CableLabs gives you a lot of freedom to find your own way to contribute. You never get bored as there are a wealth of projects and directions to explore. The people here and at the members (i.e. cable companies) are generally generous with their contributions to your projects, and the assumption is that you are generous to them as well. Expectations are high, but in an exhilarating kind of way.

Work-life balance is excellent - being whole and centered is pretty key to success in my role and many of the others here because they require a fair amount of creativity and focus at the same time.

Cons

The biggest surprise coming here was that you really don't form "buddy"-type relationships here very often. Most of the staff are pretty introverted and enjoy the intellectual challenges that working here provides. I like my co-workers a lot, trust them implicitly, and respect them immensely (the amount of expertise in the building is scary at times), but pretty much everyone has their own lives.

Also, while the amount of territoriality in the lab itself is minimal, some will trickle in from the members (cable companies), but the lab has been actively building independence, and those kinds of interventions from the membership are becoming quite rare.

2. "3 Years in and Happy I Joined CL!"

Current Employee - Principal in Louisville, CO

I have been working at CableLabs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Collegial (graduate level) team and environment. I've been fortunate to work on some very interesting research and projects that are topical for the industry. Many of the staff are technical and thought leaders in their respective areas. Our work gets exposure with some of the top engineering, operations and strategy execs at our member companies.

Cons

- You need to be flexible and embrace change. We shift focus as we need to based on the competitive environment and challenges faced by the industry.
    - Because we're on the cutting edge of key technologies, we lose people from time to time to industry vendors, consulting and our member companies.
    - I feel the pressure to continually produce at a high level. I personally need that 'push' but it may not be for everyone.

Advice to Management

Look for ways to bring teams from different areas together more often. We're so focused on what we're working on individually, we lose visibility to what are others are doing.

3. "Creativity & Innovation Discouraged"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Louisville, CO

I have been working at CableLabs (More than a year)

Pros

The culture, written material and training all foster an innovative and creative culture and climate.
    Training encourages leadership and creativity and builds attempts to rebuild trust.that was lost during CableLabs 2.0 reorganization.
    Working in the Innovation projects and with innovation teams - those values and culture is evident.

Cons

Technical Creativity, Skills, and passion for work and learning were discouraged by direct report Mngr.. There is a double standard, where some disciplines (Engineers, Architects, and technologists) are encouraged to be innovative and creative and others (such as project or program management) are not allowed to attend technical meetings, or use their technical engineering skills on the job.
    Environment outside of the Innovation area has is caustic to program and project managers.

Advice to Management

You have such great ideas for the company, and do a lot of good communications. Please make sure all in the organization management are creating a innovative & creative environment for all employees: Think your cultural values are: if you "Talk the Talk" need to "Walk the Walk".

"Ramping Down"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Boulder, CO

Pros

Good Benefits, Relaxed work environment, Staff is nice, lots of solid Engineers

Cons

Emphasis on executive PR/branding, projects will only have minimal impact with continuing industry consolidation (12-24 months), original Mission no longer relevant

"Unique place to work"

Current Employee - Principal Architect in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Principal Architect in Louisville, CO

I have been working at CableLabs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At CableLabs you get to work in a non-product-oriented, research environment where every employee is encouraged to suggest and develop technology innovations. Failure is expected and not discouraged as long as you "fail fast".

Cons

Some significant recent re-organization and staff reductions. However, these change were not as a result of funding reductions and have all been toward the goal of re-focusing CableLabs efforts and talents on long-term innovations.

Advice to Management

Keep the processes slim and continue lowering the barriers to proposing and funding new innovation projects.

7. "Strategist/Technical Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO

I have been working at CableLabs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Your ideas get heard - you can Pitch any idea you want to work on and have a chance of getting it staffed.
    The Executive staff is motivated to innovate.
    Emphasis is on doing - not just researching

Cons

It is a small research consortium, so sometimes there are not enough people to do everything you need.
    Recent strategic pivot lost some good talent

Advice to Management

Stay the course

"Trending Downward"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO

I have been working at CableLabs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Depending on the department, you could work with some pretty cool stuff. The pay is alright, benefits are good even though the recent changes to health insurance have been a step backward.

Cons

There are a lot of politics between departments. No one communicates, not even the execs. Recent layoffs have everyone on edge. CEO tows the party line when it comes to the Cable Industry. Little opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Management

As with most companies, the problems start at the top. The CEO needs to start holding the VPs and Senior VPs responsible for the political drama and lack of innovation. The exec team needs to start actually listening to the staff instead of pretending to care.

"Happy in my first year, looking forward to many more."

Current Employee - Principal in Louisville, CO

I have been working at CableLabs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Working with some of the brightest engineers and thought leaders in the industry.
    - Collegial work environment, but where you feel self-motivated to produce.
    - I get to think 5-10 years out, hypothesizing what the competitive landscape will look like and how our stakeholders can capitalize on opportunities and be wary of risks.

Cons

Not so much of a con but a change: I've always worked in cash-flow, P&L driven companies. This is my first experience in a non-profit R&D environment.
    Even when we identify opportunities, we need to sell them to our stakeholders

Advice to Management

As the industry evolves, make sure CL stays a step ahead. CL should (could?) be a recruiting ground for the industry, let's embrace it.

"Mixed feelings"

Former Employee - Principal Architect in Louisville, CO
    Former Employee - Principal Architect in Louisville, CO

I worked at CableLabs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Looking out 3-5 years down the road for cable industry and also defining that technology as well. The company has smart people and you can learn a lot. Individuals with wealth of experience in video technology and network technology.

Cons

This company used to be great but recent changes made it an unsettling place. There is little or no communications and people are being let go left and right. It's hard to focus on your job when you could be next to let go.

Advice to Management

Communicate with employees.

11. "Innovation and Agility"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Work-Life Balance, Work on cutting edge technologies, Contribute to develop new architectures and technical publications, patents etc. In short very rewarding to work here with wizards of technolgy

Cons

Nothing so terribly wrong so far.

Advice to Management

Keep executing well. Retain good talent.