Calit2 Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Software Developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Calit2 full-time

Pros

Great location, friendly people, flexible hours. Huge opportunities and research budgets. Amazing leadership.

Cons

Not on par with competitive salaries of other companies. Tons of red tape.

2. "Nice Place to Work"

Current Employee - Staff Researcher in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Researcher in Irvine, CA

Pros

Clean spacious building, a great concentration of active projects going on in different groups, tons of smart individuals in one location

Cons

Salaries are not competitive to the work done - but this is academia, so what do you really expect? Lots of red tape! Lazy work environment with regard to support staff (insert same quip before about academia)

Advice to Management

Keep working on strenghtening interractions between different groups working in the building collaborating

3. "Undergraduate Researcher"

Former Intern - Undergraduate Researcher in La Jolla, CA
    Former Intern - Undergraduate Researcher in La Jolla, CA

I worked at Calit2 as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

A great place for computer science innovation. The research groups work on exciting projects and the 3D platforms are amazing. I loved working here as an undergraduate. There are numerous opportunities for undergraduates to get involved. Calit2 building also hosts lots of events (research conferences, performances, research open house, etc) throughout the year.

Cons

Full-time employment is hard to get after graduating. The pay is low and employment depends on how much funding is available. If your group loses funding or a project ends, then you are out of a job or have to shift projects (that can be hard to do). Some are fortunate to make it work.

Advice to Management

Management is good for undergraduates. Full-time employees and PIs may not feel the same because they are directly communicating with management.

5. "Programmer II"

Former Employee - Programmer II in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Programmer II in La Jolla, CA

I worked at Calit2 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Being a research-heavy institute gives its employee much more flexibility to explore project of interest as well as room for error.

Cons

The research institute aspect of it also means that teams will be formed and dissolved as grants/fundings are granted and drained. Many of the research projects will be just that and will never see the market

Advice to Management

I enjoyed my time at CalIT2 and have learned tremendously from my colleagues. I wished the positions at the institute have more security instead of the constant grant/project chasing.

6. "Great experience for students!"

Current Intern - Intern in San Diego, CA
    Current Intern - Intern in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Calit2 as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

So many resources and interesting labs, and hundreds of intelligent, driven people sitting in every desk around the building. Opportunities are endless, particularly if you are willing to work without pay (at least at first).

Cons

Difficult for students to find paid jobs. Paid jobs generally start in the $30/hr range if you can find one. A good route to take is to apply for the summer internship program, which is paid but exclusive.

7. "Calit2 is a great place to research and develop innovation"

Current Intern - Mechanical Lab Assistant in La Jolla, CA
    Current Intern - Mechanical Lab Assistant in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at Calit2 as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Calit2 enables innovation by bringing in researchers with diverse backgrounds.

Cons

Most research labs feel a little disconnected from other research labs. Although there is great collaboration within each lab, I feel like further collaboration between separate research groups could be useful

8. "Student Researcher and Designer"

Current Intern - Staff Researcher in San Diego, CA
    Current Intern - Staff Researcher in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Calit2 as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

To begin I'd like to say that I work within and Calit2 and that my work is funded by them, but I do NOT work directly for the building.

Calit2 is an interesting and rewarding place to work in. The culture of the institution is one of integration, interdisciplinary collaboration, and spontaneous innovation. This makes it easy to network with incredibly talented and driven individuals from all departments and fields of study and get involved with cool projects and research from that point. The prospect for mobility is great, in a non traditional, informal kind of way.

There is also a lot of freedom and variety in working at Calit2. The person I work with is fairly laid back and has an informal space to use as office in the middle of an open lot on the 2nd floor. Other people, such as lab workers perhaps, have stricter schedules and working environments. In the end the it all depends on your team and your project. There are facilities for everything from design, to nano engineering, to digital fabrication, to 3D data visualization, to 4k movie production, to visual arts and communications. They even have a gallery for art shows in the building. All of those resources are at the disposal of the researchers if need be and can be part of the working environment.

Cons

Not enough sunshine on the bottom floors and the loose, non consolidated organization of the building can make it hard to find certain people and locations in a timely manner sometimes.

Advice to Management

Can't really say much. Bring the CRCA back, they had great projects.

9. "Overall good internship experience"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Calit2 as an intern

Pros

Work with people in many different disciplines

Cons

Hard to stay employed after graduation from UCSD.

10. "Software Engineer"

Pros

Flexible working hours. Nice working environment. Good supervisor and nice teammates. Free parking for UC irvine student. One meeting per week.

Cons

The technique they use is kind of out-dated and you know all the bad stuffs in a university's lab. The salary is kind of low and there is 0 benefits except a staff parking permit.

Advice to Management

No ideas so far. Maybe use some advanced technologies like react js will be better for the team and add some free cookies is best.

11. "Great place to work overall"

I have been working at Calit2 full-time

Pros

Vibrant place to work with great energy and heaps of brilliant and inspiring research going on. My department is supportive and we have good camaraderie. I also love working on the UC San Diego campus. Calit2 is well-respected, for good reason, and I'm proud to work here.

Cons

Not many opportunities for advancement; difficult to get a sense for who is working in the building and what they're doing; pay is not comparable to similar positions outside the university (although the benefits are great). Oh, and of course, parking is atrocious.

Advice to Management

Calit2 could benefit from more team-building to improve morale. I have heard over and over again from a variety of people that there is a lack of confidence that the leadership is interested in what the employees have to say. Even when we are asked for feedback, very little changes as a result. It's discouraging.