CannonDesign Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CannonDesign Chief Executive Officer Brad Lukanic, AIA
Brad Lukanic, AIA

Pros
Cons
  • Top heavy, uninspiring place with a deep lack of focus (in 17 reviews)

• Some teams work long hours while some are more reasonable (in 6 reviews)

"Frustration...."

Former Employee - Arch II in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Arch II in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CannonDesign full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fellow co-workers are very helpful and supportive. It's a great place for collaboration and team building. Hours are flexible and you are rarely overworked like most offices. Overall, the people are great minus a few rotten apples that unfortunately have pull in employees’ careers.

Cons

The company loves to pat themselves on the back for what they tell you is going right. Unfortunately, they are usually incorrect. They say they are building management from within and don't hire for those positions but that's exactly what they do. You eventually feel like your role is never changing.

Secondly, they aren't competitive with pay. They have all sorts of excuses about this. Ultimately I think it's why turnover was so high the last few years I was there.

Advice to Management

Invest in the future of the dedicated employees you have. You have time and money invested in them so dont let them go elsewhere because you won't pay what they are worth.

Jun 7, 2017 – Associate VP

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback. We are absolutely committed to creating an extraordinary work environment, so we’re disappointed to hear about some of your experiences. Like any ... More

"Proud to be a CannonDesigner"

Current Employee - Vice President in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at CannonDesign full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

So many great opportunities. Design excellence is at the core of what CD stands for but most importantly, long lasting relationships with clients.

Cons

Internal processes add to the workload. It could feel like there is no freedom to make your own decisions.

Advice to Management

Let's follow the core team's lead!

Jun 7, 2017 – Associate VP

Thanks so much for the feedback! You’re right about all the opportunities — we’re fortunate to get to work with some pretty amazing clients on some equally amazing projects. And of course, most ... More

3. "Poor management causing lower levels employment"

I worked at CannonDesign full-time

Pros

Alot of good people that are unappreciated and used up getting no credit for their part in this upside down pyramid

Cons

Trouble with federal government and now the state investigation with NCCC and other companies they are tied to.

Advice to Management

Nothing anyone can say will help because the board are the upper management so they insulate themselves at the cost of the success of the company and the lower level employees who are doing all the work while they all get full expense paid country club memberships.

Jun 7, 2017 – Associate VP

We agree we are fortunate to work with many good people, but are disheartened to hear your thoughts about our company. Specifically, we’re disheartened because these frustrations could have been ... More

"Poor leadership"

Former Employee - Associate Vice President in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Associate Vice President in Chicago, IL

I worked at CannonDesign full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lower staff willing to help. Interesting projects.

Cons

The firm where others get credit for your hard work. Poor leadership. Top heavy. Lot of talk and no delivery. The new CEO is arrogant completely uninspiring and the position is over his head.

Advice to Management

Start living up to your promises and Fire the new CEO.

Jun 13, 2017 – Associate VP

Thanks for taking the time to write this review, and I’m sorry to see you decided to leave the firm. As the leader of our Chicago office, I take any feedback — good or bad — very seriously. And ... More

"CEO is horrible"

Current Employee - Architect in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Architect in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CannonDesign full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My manager is ok I guess?

Cons

CEO is horroble and a jerk

Advice to Management

Fire the CEO as soon as possible

"I loved working for CannonDesign."

Former Employee - Associate Vice President in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Associate Vice President in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at CannonDesign full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Well respected firm. Strong in medical planning and healthcare design. Great place for a motivated individual to grow career-wise. I moved up from a recent graduate to an officer in the firm, thanks to the support of many Principals that took an active role in mentoring. Solid benefit package, good pay structure, and great financial support for those pursuing licensure and/or various certifications.

Cons

Firmwide leadership structure changed frequently. Difficult to determine who your "boss" is. May be a difficult place to advance for the shyer bunch, as the firm tends to reward self-motivation. I did not work under the current CEO.

Advice to Management

More consistent leadership structure. Listen to the peculiarities of the individual offices - due to the geographic range of the firm, one size does not fit all when it comes to recruitment and retention strategy.

"DIsappointing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at CannonDesign full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting people throughout the office willing to help one another. Interesting projects

Cons

Lots of talk of change with nothing actualized
    Monthly downsizing and lack of job security
    Very top heavy and oppressive work environment

Nov 29, 2016 – Associate VP

Thanks for the comment – even the not-so-great feedback is important to us. Admittedly, our firm has gone through a period of transition; just this past June, Brad Lukanic became our new CEO, making ... More

"Corporate Architecture at it's finest"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I worked at CannonDesign (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the more exciting projects that I was able to work on. Many of the projects are very large and require a lot of overtime to complete. Personally thought that the organizational structure of the firm is very organized and focused on pursuing new projects constantly.

Cons

The way in which work is distributed falls onto lower level employees very heavily. Many colleagues would say that 10 percent of the staff does 90 percent of the work. Some of the higher staff seems unapproachable.

Sep 12, 2016 – Associate VP

Really appreciate the feedback. We’re happy to hear you got to work on some exciting projects. Thanks for contributing your talents! As a firm, we’re thankful to have more than 900 employees who all ... More

9. "Great!"

Current Employee - Project Architect in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Architect in New York, NY

I have been working at CannonDesign (More than a year)

Pros

Great people cool projects international work good benefits and pay in an interesting office environment in the center of the city

Cons

There are Not really any that I can think of right now--i can get back to you on that later though.

Aug 1, 2016 – Associate VP

Thanks for taking the time to leave a Glassdoor review. We're happy to hear you're enjoying being a CannonDesigner! Keep the feedback coming.

"associate vice-president"

Former Employee - Senior Project Architect in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Architect in Boston, MA

Pros

It is a corporation of many smaller offices with one larger main office. Administration is centralized. The projects may be large scale with interesting technical problems and design opportunities that are not available to smaller firms. Overall in-house teams can, but not always, have very qualified members with innovative ideas. There is opportunity to work on national and international projects.

Cons

The corporate structure is overbearing at the office level and distant from the employee level. Change can be sudden and unexplained. Employees should assume 10% automatic unpaid overtime. There are some actions taken within the corporation that I do not want associated with my professional life.

Advice to Management

There is miss here where the spoken work and following actions do not always engage to form the desired result. A lot of talented people work hard and I wish that the results were better.

Aug 8, 2016 – Associate VP

Thanks so much for your comments. All feedback helps us consistently become better. As a company, we’re committed to addressing all employee concerns and creating a culture where our people feel ... More