Caring.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Jim Rosenthal

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great company culture with a work from home environment" (in 28 reviews)

• "Base plus commission, it is a real deal company with good benefits" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Working from home isn't for everybody, but there's certainly given a lot of opportunity to interact with your team" (in 7 reviews)

• "As of today, they let go 16 Family Advisors" (in 10 reviews)

1. "New Direction is Exciting!"

Current Employee - Sales in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Caring.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great executive team in place now! The company is definitely heading in the right direction. There are now standards and protocols in place to help every employee to be successful. You must have the open mind to accept the success.
    I see that people have posted negative things about the changes and what they forget is that the previous executive team's decision is what got the company to where it had to have a new owner/executive team come in. What they were doing obviously didn't work. Yes, there was a RIF. However, the management team was very upfront about who it was and why it happened. They actually held a company meeting, with a question and answer portion. They let it be known that it was the bottom performers. It sounds like it was strictly a business decision. I understand that being laid off is tough and nobody is happy when that happens. In my opinion, better 16 than the entire company go under. I'm sure the decision to do that wasn't taken lightly by anybody. We all had a friend who didn't make the cut.
    I also read negative postings about the pay. I was well informed of my pay prior to accepting a position with caring.com. I rely on my bonuses to live, not my base. I am a sales person and this is not new to me. If you are lucky enough to get hired, get in here, learn all you can and stay on the phones and make money. It is a great position to be in to be able to work in your pajamas, if you so choose, and make a great living. Also, not having to be out amongst the traffic and fighting the hustle and bustle is awesome! But, be prepared to learn your industry and sell! This is not a customer service position.
    Great people. Everyone I've met has been great.
    Great benefits.

Cons

There are changes going on and we don't know what to expect right now. That can be a little scary.

Advice to Management

Keep making the positive changes and standardizing the company. It's great to see some structure to it.

2. "BEST Sales job ever!"

Current Employee - Family Advisor in Delta, CO
    Current Employee - Family Advisor in Delta, CO

I have been working at Caring.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everything! working at home-whole new meaning to Business Casual! Nice senior people and families to help, base plus commission-if you make sales, you make money! Just got a new manager and he is very positive, uplifting and awesome!
    The company even has a caregiver benefit for time off if you need to care for a loved one plus very generous vacation time.

Cons

none that I can think of...

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! At 65, I am not looking for advancement but if you excel at your job, it is available to those who want it.

3. "Very Satisfied"

I have been working at Caring.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great working from home. Clear expectation of performance. Pays very well when you meet and exceed expectations.

Cons

I am not one to add reviews. Reading a few of these about Caring.com is sad. Yes, if you do not meet clearly outlined expectations that the company expects then yes, there is an issue. This is the same in any job. Instead of playing a victim and being negative, work hard, put in the effort and be open to coaching and everyone will be successful!

Advice to Management

I have seen a turn around when new management came in. Most of the leadership left but I think that is the case with any new owners. This is a good thing! New fresh ideas! And I think the company will be better for it! We are here to help families the new owners see that and are open to our feedback which is refreshing!

4. "Family Advisor"

I have been working at Caring.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working from home is the only pro if you don’t want to get dressed and go out in the work force

Cons

Pay and cleverly trying to not pay family advisors bonus with unethical tactics. QA will fail you for ridiculous reason and if you score under 80% for the month you are docked pay. Pays hardly any money for a non toured move in. Upper management probably increase their salaries to afford their life styles but want family advisors to suffer. You can make the company over $50,000 in a month and your bonus could be under $2,000.00

Advice to Management

Reevaluate your pay scale and quality assurance . Remember the bottom line not if a family advisors asks a stroke victim what activities they like.

"Can't be trusted"

Current Employee - Family Advisor
    Current Employee - Family Advisor

I have been working at Caring.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working from home. Adequate benefits. Equipment provided.

Cons

- New owners over promise and under deliver. Lead demand not delivered as promised.
    - Micro management to the 10th degree. No trust in the advisors with sonority or who are in the top 10-20% annual move-in.
    -Management treats the employees who attend the online meetings like it is a set off of Mr. Rogers. Everything is perfect in the neighborhood when those who take phone calls know the leads have continued to get worse by the month since the new owners took over.
    -It's clear to senior advisors that calls are routed for the benefit of new trainees.
    -In addition to 16 advisors with experience were let go in one day at the end of September, the company had actually hired 13 new advisors to begin on the phones two weeks prior.
    -Additionally the company lost up to 6-10 advisors due to termination or resignation.
    -Changes made with out written clarification
    -Company Metrics are more important to Caring.com than the income obtained from your move-ins, but advisors are only paid on move-in income.

Advice to Management

Provide positive reinforcement.
    Be collaborative
    Provide all changes in policies and comps in writing on a continuous basis.

"Family Advisor (soon to be Former Family Advisor)"

I have been working at Caring.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home. Some flexibility in schedules. Ability to affect positive change in the lives of seniors.

Cons

Not sure where to begin. It could be described as watching a slow-motion car wreck and you are helpless to do anything. This was a great company. With hard work and skill, you were able to make a very nice living, work from home and feel great satisfaction knowing at the end of the day you had made a difference in peoples lives. This is no longer the case. The new owners/investors want to make money and as a capitalist, I fully appreciate that. However, management has made a huge tactical error with two key appointments. One: Family Advisor management leaves me saying WHAT are they thinking? The current approach has the potential to cause a mass exodus out the door. There is saccharin laden (and all too frequent) "team meetings" where bad news is dressed up as good news delivered in sugary tones more suited for a Kindergarten class. But don't let the cult-like training fool you, you can and likely will be cut off at the knees in a blink of an eye and this is where the true talents lie. If no legitimate reason for discipline or discharge exists, one can be invented. This approach to management (don't think) will be what brings down the company. I would like to pose the question to the executive team: If you were looking for help for your Mom or Dad, would you like to deal with with a sharp, compassionate, experienced Family Advisor and not a puppet? Then reevaluate. Next up in the head-scratching category is the new training program. There is even a few mentions of how not to be a "loser" Section 8 of the training and it even weighs in on who you should hang out with in order to be a success. Unfortunately, the training glosses over technical training and turns out new advisors who just don't hit the floor prepared. The last thing I would like to say is the blind eye toward cheating and unethical Family Advisor behavior is going to ruin the companies reputation and cause the loss of more clients.

Advice to Management

Spend a few more dollars and get a director who will lead you into the next phase of growth with ethics and skill. Train new staff by focusing more on Industry and Caring.com specific procedures. Include a segment on ethics. Stop driving away the brains. Thinking is actually a good thing.

"A great company but slipping"

I have been working at Caring.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of flexibility with working from home. The office atmosphere is pretty laid back and majority of coworkers are generally really great people to work with.

Cons

Since changing ownership mid 2018 there has been a lot of turnover across most levels of the organization and little explanation. Some people just stop showing up and the only way you find out is hearsay.

"Bought by an investment group."

Former Employee - Family Adviser in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Family Adviser in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Caring.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to work from home.

Cons

I never would have left my job where I had years of seniority if I knew that Caring was for sale to an investment group. I have been watching as several managers have been let go. Then out of the blue, I was let go. I was ranking in the top ten for qualified contacts in the company. But I was told that it was not a disciplinary decision, but a budgetary decision. So basically the new owners are fine with kicking people to the curb right on holiday season regardless of how you follow the preset rules or standards without honoring those standards. The awesome job and the gravy train is over everyone. Merit or following the rules no longer counts, top sales no longer count. The new ownership has no integrity.

Advice to Management

Not much to say, the damage is done and you will never be able to recover. You must be prepping this company for some resale if you are going to gut it so badly that it would take it another five years to rebuild too. What is next, are you going to replace the rest of the call center with telemarketers from India before you resell it with some sort of puffed up numbers?

"Was not a bad gig considering you can work remotely from home"

Former Employee - Family Advisor in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Family Advisor in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Caring.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Getting to work remotely from home and the pay is great if you are good at phone sales/lead generation. Coworkers are great too. I love helping families and people call us so stressed out in the beginning but relieved when we show the that we can provide solutions. That is the best feeling when they thank you for coming to their rescue.

Cons

They were just bought by private investors and pay and benefits are changing. Texas reps make more and most of us did/will not make the cut going forward. Management is not very honest with staff.

Advice to Management

Be honest with employees and have an open door policy so that employees can be honest with you. Have someone auditing managers the same way managers audit their team's calls so everyone is equally accountable.

"Family advisor"

Current Employee - Advisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Caring.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home. Benefits are above average but more difficult to get PTO approved.

Cons

Comp and policies change constantly including when you get paid bonus. Expectations and policies not clarified in writing by top mgmt. New leadership ineffective, not transparent, and not trustworthy. Talented top executives and co-founder just left. Advisors are continuously fired or put on performance improvement plans monthly. Leads continue to be worse even after mgmt promise of additional investment in leads/systems.

Advice to Management

Mgmt know the concerns/issues but do nothing to enhance a positive working environment. If they’re truly a “caring” leadership, they’ll eliminate smokescreens. How about some consistency and accountability in policies and from top leaders?