Carr Riggs & Ingram Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Bill Carr

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Like all CPA firms, busy season can be stressful, but great people to work with can make it bearable (in 8 reviews)

• Must work 80 plus per week during tax season to get 55 billable (in 7 reviews)

1. "Growing firm with growth opportunity"

I have been working at Carr Riggs & Ingram full-time

Pros

Great partner group, lots of opportunity for growth

Cons

Can improve on working remotely, corporation communications

2. "Worked here in a long time ago, gave me major depression"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Carr Riggs & Ingram full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sorry I got nothing good

Cons

I worked here a long time ago after moving to Austin. I was constantly feeling like no matter what I did here, I was going to be punished for it. Once I even got in trouble for "losing" one of the partner's sunglasses while they were sitting on his head. It would have been comical if I wasn't terrified of him. Was hired entry level with a non-accounting degree but then they were angry when I didn’t know much accounting. I told them in the interview I did *not* have a CPA and exactly what my qualifications were. I was hired around a big snowstorm in December and they docked my pay during the 3 days the office was closed for ice as well as docked me for all the holiday time the office was closed in Dec and early Jan. They made me quit my second job, which I honestly desperately needed as I just moved here without any money and they offered no insurance for the first 90 days. Instead of admitting it was a bad fit or helping me get trained, they made it about me being a bad person, which is unnecessary and unprofessional. When I was fired, the boss said something to the effect of me being a worthless person. It just felt like an extra kick while I as down. Plus I didn’t have the second job to help recover from. Ended up constantly selling blood and plasma anywhere I could, etc and after not finding a job for months afterwards, I became extremely depressed for a good amount of time.

Advice to Management

Don’t fire someone and tell them there’s something wrong with them, point out specific behaviors related to the job that they can take away as constructive criticism for future jobs or just don’t say anything at all. I've been a manager since and I've never reprimanded someone for vague reasons. I've also never fired or reprimanded someone without sandwiching at least one thing that they ARE good at, everyone has some skill and it's up to a good manager to utilize what skills the employee does have. I was "warned" before I was fired here that I was "unhappy". What does someone even do with that? At the time, I was actually happy. I was thrilled to get this job. That statement confused me and I told them so, but then was offered no explanation. This left me with free-floating anxiety that my boss used to further prove my "unhappiness" and wear me down until I was actually unhappy. I took being told I was worthless extremely personally, I was only 25 and this was my first job out of grad school. I ended up obsessively taking a whole bunch of acting/voice/improv classes in an attempt to "look/sound" more happy because for all I knew, I might get fired from the next job for not appearing bubbly enough. I was too young to know the environment was toxic and that it wasn't my fault. Also: what people do on their own time is also their own business, it wasn’t tax season and I had every right to that second job, especially when you don’t have insurance.

3. "Staff Accountant"

I have been working at Carr Riggs & Ingram full-time

Pros

Excellent firm with awesome partners.

Cons

Long hours typical to most big public accounting firms.

4. "management"

I worked at Carr Riggs & Ingram full-time

Pros

easy time off and easy vacation time

Cons

there are non, great place to work

5. "Amazing place to work"

I have been working at Carr Riggs & Ingram full-time

Pros

I love this company. I have worked her for 5 years. Everyone is so nice and friendly. The company goes out of it's way to make sure the employee's feel appreciated. Wish I had started here when I was 18 years old.

Cons

Long hours during busy season.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

"Not a Great Career Builder"

I worked at Carr Riggs & Ingram full-time

Pros

- They pay their external hires well.
    - If you prefer to work in a comfort zone and don't like a lot of differentiation between your clients, this might be a good fit.
    - The hours are about average for a public accounting firm
    - Good location

Cons

- The work is very simple. I came to CRI from a larger firm, and I emphasized that I wanted to grow my skillset and work on complex projects. After being there a while, I realized that they don't really HAVE complex projects.
    - They have a poor reputation in the Texas area. Since leaving CRI, I've spoken to two managers and two recruiters from larger firms (including my former employer), who confirmed that they won't hire from CRI. Apparently the work at CRI (not just in Austin, but across Texas) is so non-complex that accountants who leave CRI have difficulty transitioning into other firms.
    - The benefits aren't great. Just to put it into perspective, health insurance for my family cost $6,500 more per year at this firm than at my prior firm.

Advice to Management

- Be upfront when hiring people from larger firms. Let them know that the work will be drastically different from what they've handled in the past.

7. "Great mid-market public firm"

I worked at Carr Riggs & Ingram full-time

Pros

Great office environment, great people to work with. Busy season was still very busy and could get hectic, but it didn't feel like it dominated my life like the busy seasons at the Big 4.

Cons

It is a smaller firm, but that can be a plus depending on what you're looking for. They're starting salaries are also a bit lower than industry average.

"You can do better. Keep that resume up to date so you can leave at a moments notice, trust me on this one."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Carr Riggs & Ingram full-time

Pros

Entry level job, better than starving to death.

Cons

The partners at this location are truly vicious individuals. Just the worst that humanity has to offer. Everyone there knows the place is awful and just sort of accepts it. This is the North Korea of Raleigh accounting firms. Get ready to have your spirit beaten down.

Advice to Management

Dig a tunnel from inside the building to the drainage ditch outside so that when I crawl out of that place for the last time, I can really really feel like that scene from The Shawshank Redemption.

9. "5/5"

I have been working at Carr Riggs & Ingram full-time

Pros

Great people. Cares for employees and clients. Very knowledgable. Always looking to improve.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons.

"CRI"

I have been working at Carr Riggs & Ingram full-time

Pros

Great Environment and good mentoring

Cons

The company doesn't function well as a unit across different offices.