Centaur Technology Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 2, 2017

4.9
Glenn Henry

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Centaur is the most amazing place I have ever worked."

Former Employee - CPU Design Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - CPU Design Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Centaur Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Centaur is the most amazing place I have ever worked. The company is led by IBM Fellow Glenn Henry, and its guiding philosophy is that if you take really smart, driven people, treat them well, point them towards a problem (in this case, x86 CPU design), and get out of their way as much as possible, they will out-produce any other set of engineers on the planet. There are around 100 people in the entire company, and that includes architecture, logic design, DV, circuit design, physical design and layout. There are no managers -- the closest Centaur has is "technical lead", which is 90% technical, 10% lead. It's important here to distinguish: as others said, there is not a lot of direction. There is a lot of help, though. Everyone I worked with over the past ten years has been amazing, and they're always willing to lend a hand. So, if you aspire to management, or aren't remarkably self-directed, Centaur might not be for you. On the other hand, I spent 11 years there, and I learned more by working with the people there than I thought was possible. If you really want to grow as an engineer and learn from truly experienced designers, this is the place to be. You are given as much responsibility as you can take on, and people take a lot of pride in the work they do.
    One of the more interesting manifestations of this is the terminology -- often, design blocks are referred to by their owners, not their design names. So, in conversations, you hear "and we send this to Doug", or "...and there's a bug in John." People take a lot of ownership at Centaur, and they work hard and are proud of what they've accomplished.

Also, they are realistic about pay -- they know this plan only works if they hire amazing people, and their compensation reflects that. Benefits are great, everyone has an office, lunch is provided; again, they believe that happy employees will give their best, and history seems to have proven them right.

Cons

If you want to be a manager, look elsewhere. I generally lean heavier to the "work" side of work/life balance, but you don't have a manager to assign priorities. Workloads can mount up quickly.

Lunch is free, and while there are lots of healthy options, there are also lots of unhealthy options, and snacks are also provided. You will gain weight. Plan for it.

Advice to Management

Take over the world.

"I can't imagine working anywhere else"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Centaur Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

We're working on cutting edge technology with a lot of autonomy and freedom to innovate. I'm surrounded by smart people who know and love what they're doing.
     I love it here!

Cons

I can't imagine working anywhere else?

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

3. "Fantastic people, work environment and benefits"

I have been working at Centaur Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits here are out of this world. Centaur provides the best insurance coverage at the cheapest flat-rate cost I have ever seen before. Employee stock plan is good, too.

A large portion of the original employees from the first few years of the company's life are still working here. Don't forget free home internet, free onsite breakfasts and lunches (high quality, too). There is no competing for positions, politics, or anything like that that occurs at other companies in this field.

With the flat management structure, there is actually a lot of freedom to move between different types of work (no pigeon-holing) and trust among people. I have really loved being able to try out new ideas on my own and have a real impact on the processors we make.

I've worked at a few other electrical engineering companies before, and Centaur is the closest to ideal that I've found yet.

Cons

I think the work environment lends itself well to people who require very little oversight. If you are expecting a lot of direction, the forget about it. Also, if you really crave to become someone's manager, that doesn't really fit in well here either. These aren't cons in my mind, but they might be to someone else.

The 401k matching is average, or maybe slightly below average, but all the other benefits much more than make up for the difference, e.g. with the employee stock plan.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and innovate

"Great place to work, x86 chip industry is dying."

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Centaur Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- I can't say this enough. The people at Centaur are fantastic.
    - Pay and benefits are pretty much unbeatable.

Cons

- The x86 chip industry is dying and there's little future in competing with Intel.
    - No mentoring or direction. If you're not the kind of person who can find problems on your own and fix them you will get little direction or help.
    - No bonuses.

5. "VP of Manufacturing, Product & Test Engineering"

Former Employee - Vice President of Manufacturing, Product, & Test Engineering in Austin, TX

I worked at Centaur Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Unrestrained work environment. Hire good people, give them the tools to do their job, and get out of their way. Awesome environment.

Cons

Works great if other groups are doing great and work together. If conflict does arise, no method for good resolution.

6. "The Best Place To Work On The Entire Planet"

Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Centaur Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best of the best engineers (Can you design/mfg/test/ship an x86 with 100 people?)
    Amazing benefits/perks
    Startup mentality / big corporate security

Cons

Austin Traffic (The office is located on 360)

Advice to Management

Take over the world.

7. "Anonymous long-time employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Centaur Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The culture, the sense of ownership, the people, the freedom to create are unmatched. I can't imagine returning to the big-company mentality after my experience at Centaur.

Cons

The flat management structure doesn't leave much room for those who aspire to be managers. I don't, I'd rather be an individual contributor, so it's not a problem to me.