Cipher Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 2, 2017

4.1
Peter Grimm

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Best Company To Work For!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at Cipher Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome benefits, wonderful staff (they actually care about each other!), tons of perks, beautiful office space, relaxed atmosphere, FUN, creative freedom, employees opinions are valued, I can go on for days!

Cons

Currently I don't have any cons to working here

Advice to Management

Please keep doing what you're doing! Your staff appreciates the effort!

Mar 29, 2017 – Managing Director

Thank you for your feedback. I am very happy to see that we are making progress toward our collective goal of making Cipher "the best place we've ever worked." We are always happy to hear from our... More

"Horrible experience!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Annapolis, MD

I worked at Cipher Systems full-time

Pros

The view from the balcony, having my own office, the free lunches and the sailboat ride.

Cons

I have to agree with everything the post said from December 22, 2015. There isn't anything positive I can say about the company. If you want to feel like your in high school go to Cipher because the favoritism is unreal. If you weren't someone that was hand picked and brought in from the pool of CEO's friends/past coworker or haven't worked there for 10 plus years (cough, the person who strategically place themselves by the elevator to watch your every move to tell on you) you seriously don't have a chance there. Upper management never listened to any idea I had nor did they feel it necessary to keep me in the loop or try to be a team player. It was their way or no way. Why hire me for a specific position because of the skills I have but not take anything I had to say into consideration? Also they definitely asked employees to write positive reviews for glassdoor to make the company look good. What's the definition of insanity- doing the same thing over and over and expect a different result, that's how cipher works. They are a revolving door company!

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, stop showing favoritism because everyone who works there is loyal and wanted the comoany to succeed just like you do. Picking people off left and right just because they don't fit a mold you have in mind isn't a good way to run a company.

Jan 26, 2016 – Managing Director

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are committed to creating a comfortable, transparent, and collaborative working environment here at Cipher and I am disappointed to hear... More

"A small business transitioning to maximize in the IT tech industry."

Former Contractor - Senior Consultant in Annapolis, MD
    Former Contractor - Senior Consultant in Annapolis, MD

I worked at Cipher Systems as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team, great mid-level management, interesting work and problem sets.

Cons

Prior to 2014: Senior leadership issues, turbulent merger/acquisition, and lack of standardized processes/business lines.

"Substantive and exciting internship"

Current Intern - Research Intern in Annapolis, MD
    Current Intern - Research Intern in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at Cipher Systems as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to participate and contribute to substantive projects, which I have rarely found at other internships. Even from the very beginning of my internship, I have felt like an integral member of the Cipher team and have been given the opportunity to gain real world experience. I greatly appreciate the collaborative team environment and everyone really encourages the interns to learn and form skills that will be helpful throughout our careers. Great compensation for an internship. It's so great to get paid for work I truly enjoy. I have already learned so much and would be extremely interested in working at Cipher full time, for all of these reasons.

Cons

As an intern, I have found very few cons while working at Cipher. The location in Annapolis, MD was an initial con for me, due to the lack of public transportation, however my supervisor and fellow team members are extremely flexible and understanding, allowing work to be completed at home, as well as in the office.

"Great opportunities with great people"

Current Employee - Consultant in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Consultant in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at Cipher Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cipher offers extensive opportunities for professional growth and is truly invested in the development of its people, which is apparent through its incentives for employees to obtain and maintain advanced degrees and certifications. Its management has a great open-door feel, leading to a cohesive work environment, allowing entry-level analysts to work alongside directors and gain experiences untouchable at other firms.

Cipher’s employees are high-performing, each possessing unique, diverse backgrounds. They’re willing to teach as much as they are willing to learn, making it an ideal place to collaborate and learn from one another.

Compensation and benefits are very competitive to larger DC consulting firms, but the work-life balance is far more satisfying.

The people are great, as are the clients and the work.

Cons

Cipher has experienced some turn over in staff and organization the past year, but is starting to pick up pace, in a good way. As roles and ways forward are defined, it’s still quite fluid, but the management is working to keep its staff informed and involved in the process.

Advice to Management

Continue to remain transparent to employees about changes and short and long terms goals of the company. Increase communications so that everyone remains up to speed with the company’s vision as it continues to grow.

"Professional group of people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at Cipher Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cipher is very open to accommodate employe needs. This includes working some days from home, flexible schedules or even bringing in your dog for the day. Company culture and vision is changing a lot for the better while pay and benefits are very competitive. Knowledgeable and fun group of people.
    Lots of catered lunches.

Cons

You need to be a self-starter and not need a whole lot of guidance in doing your work. There was some turn-over in staff over the past years, but things are now changing for the better.

Advice to Management

Company culture and employee loyalty builds slow, but can be ruined fast. The new management seems to understand this and work hard to create a place where people like going in every day.

"Excellent place to work. If you're a developer, you will grow here."

Current Employee - Developer in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Developer in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at Cipher Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management treats employees with respect, and never feels like an adversary. Additionally, they actively encourage employees to grow professionally either through technical training or in an academic setting, often making allowances of the sort that few companies would consider.

I've been in the IT business for nearly 20 years, but have gained far more from my time at this company than in all previous combined. It hasn't always been easy and indeed at times has been stressful, but I've had the opportunity to build things I wouldn't have thought twice about a few years ago, as well as further my own education, all with the open support of management. Can't beat that.

Cons

No company is without its faults, but Cipher's are few. Increased top down communication with respect to company direction and employee roles would be welcome.

Advice to Management

Spend a bit more time communicating with employees.

8. "Do not work at Cipher Systems. Beyond repair."

Former Employee - Senior Web Developer in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Web Developer in Annapolis, MD

Pros

Business casual dress code. Freedom to learn new technologies. Some leaders will let you make the final decision on an approach. Some team members are awesome.

Cons

This place is beyond repair.

There are so many things wrong with this place it is difficult to determine where to begin. The churn rate is high because they don't have their act together. Dr. Phil asks, "You know what all of your failed relationships have in common? You." If they continue to hire quality candidates and those people get fired or quit or both, is it more likely that have the worst luck in the world or that they run a terrible company?

Poor communication.
    Unreasonable expectations.
    Poor management.
    Some (not all) of the developers were snotty about what you do and don't know.
    They had graduates from UMBC (computer science) start in QA to justify a low starting salary.
    No in-lieu-of time ( no work life balance ).
     Box fans ( WallyWorld style) in the "server room".

I could go on for pages.

I would never ever recommend anyone to work here.

Advice to Management

Take the advice of your team the first time. Instead of dismissing ideas and months and years later deciding that those ideas have merit. Give those ideas the proper credit and consideration they deserve. Hire a person to execute those ideas. Basically, get your act together. Fire yourself and let someone who knows how to run a software company take charge.

"Software Engineer Intern"

Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship)
    Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship)

I worked at Cipher Systems as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing work environment, people are friendly, and everybody has a passion about new technology.
    No matter your position, all ideas that can benefit the company are taken seriously. Technical director and CTO both have an open door policy which makes communication and requirements both extremely clear and fluid. The Internship was extremely immersive, which allows a lot of personal growth through tough, meaningful work from the first day.
    Overall Cipher Systems is a great place for a software engineering Internship/Job, mostly due to the great management and the amazing learning and work environment.

Cons

The only con was the location and commute, but if you live in the area that should not be a problem at all.

May 4, 2017 – Managing Director

Thank you for your feedback. I am very happy to hear that you got so much out of your internship with us! We work hard to integrate our interns into every facet of the business. And we're fortunate... More

"Do "NOT" work, Beyond Repair...!!!"

I worked at Cipher Systems full-time

Pros

Nothing really to mention. Might be good commute if you live in Annapolis otherwise get ready for horrible ride to Annapolis.

Cons

If you haven't encountered favoritism in the workplace yet in your career, look no further than Cipher. Brand new upper management, slowly started bringing in (and they continue to trickle in) his buddies from his previous employer, those only are the cream of the crop according to new management, the Elite group if you will, regardless if they are skilled or not.

Then there is the regular Cipher employees. If you are among those, prepare yourself to be invisible. It doesn't matter that you possess a solid skill set, if you're hard working, smart, and loyal to the company and its mission, your efforts will be brushed under the rug. If you are among the Elite and decide to leave the company however, management will fight for you to stay, they will negotiate with you for a higher salary all in an effort to make you reconsider.

People have come and gone since I started this job, more left than came in. Not once did I hear management say anything other than "It was probably for the best" about a person's departure. What a superb statement to say to your existing employees, a real morale booster! I sat in one of those meetings and thought to myself "Is he going to say the same about me when I leave?"

By the way, please disregard the reviews below. Management asked employees nicely to write "positive" reviews to enhance the image of the company.

Advice to Management

They don’t take any advise from employees, they need to start learning that.

Jan 26, 2016 – Managing Director

Thank you for your feedback. We value all feedback and we continuously strive for improvement. The past year has definitely seen some changes as we continue to transition to what I believe is the... More