CitizenNet Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
CitizenNet CEO and Co-Founder Dan Benyamin
Dan Benyamin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great company, awesome people, satisfying work"

Current Employee - Support Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Support Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at CitizenNet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive, supportive work environment.
    Smart, friendly co-workers.
    Impressive opportunities for growth and advancement.
    No micro-management, very autonomous as long as you get your work done.
    Lots of opportunities to learn useful, real-world technologies.
    Monthly catered lunches, rec-room, book clubs.

Cons

Training was a little lacking and not as in-depth as it should have been at the beginning, but this was due to factors that are not regular occurrences like a big product release.

In the beginning some hands-on time was kind of left behind, but after a few weeks I felt up to speed and where I should be.

Advice to Management

Ensure a thorough training period is followed and new hires are worked with closely to set them up for success.

2. "Jump-started my career"

Current Employee - Account Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Account Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at CitizenNet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Relaxed "startup" culture that has come with the company from its roots as a startup, balanced with hard-working attitude and support from a larger company (Conde Nast)
    - If you want to move up, there are clear paths to doing so. Many employees start here as interns or junior campaign managers and leave as directors.
    - Value is placed most highly on people who work here. Turnover is low.
    - Management responds to concerns when they arise

Cons

- There is some bureaucracy at Conde that can be a challenge to navigate when we need to make moves (hiring, promotions, budgets, etc), but our management team here works through these challenges extremely well and still manages to get everything we need done. Just requires some patience and persistence.

3. "Ad tech startup in the guise of a publisher"

Current Employee - Executive Director
    Current Employee - Executive Director

I have been working at CitizenNet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CitizenNet acts like a start up in a lot of ways, even after they were acquired by Conde Nast (which is a testament to the strength of their current business and long term vision). My primary role is in business development, but they've encouraged me to contribute to the marketing team as it is a career path I'm considering. There is also an incredible culture there. One of my favorite cultural dimensions is around learning. Management has set up weekly Java script trainings that are open to the whole company - even those of us on the business side, they have a budget to help employees get to conferences and trainings that interest them, and they have multiple weekly meetings where folks can share what they've learned or challenges they are facing.

Cons

I love the rec area with table tennis and pool tables. We don't get to use that room as often as I had imagined - maybe we can start to host monthly lunch and learns there or pool/table tennis tournaments!

Also, it's so interesting some of the Conde Nast brands sit across the hall. I'd love to learn more about what they do and if we can partner with them in other ways, but not sure how to approach this.

"Great company with great culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at CitizenNet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

(These all only apply to dev roles/teams)

- Flexibility in terms of schedule
    - Autonomy
    - Collaborative environment
    - Value learning and knowledge sharing
    - Mobility across teams / technology stacks
    - Get to work with very smart and talented people

Cons

- Not enough project managers (they're working on this)
    - I wish we didn't have to work on Fridays

"Great company, especially on the developers side"

Current Employee - Backend Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Backend Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at CitizenNet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, competitive pay, management that really listens, dev team that encourages learning and participating in big decisions. Ping pong tournaments in the office! Fridge is always stocked with food. Office has great views and is super clean. Over all, this is probably the best job I've ever had. We also do book club on the dev team so we're constantly pushing ourselves to learn and do better.

Cons

There are some differing views on best practices on the dev team - but honestly, I often think that is a good thing. It can make for heated debates though. On the business side, the jobs can be a little stressful with demanding clients - but we're pretty far removed from that on the dev side.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees!

"Brilliant colleagues and fun problems to solve"

Current Employee - Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at CitizenNet full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've been an engineer for a wile now, and I can honestly say these are the smartest guys I've every worked with. There are always a few great ideas thrown out for every problem, and the turn around time on important issues is fast.

Cons

Growing pains are hard at times, but not terrible. You need to like change and improvement if you want to be happy here.

7. "Good Starter Company, Bad Management, Employees Overstressed"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Culver City, CA

I have been working at CitizenNet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Challenging Work
    - Exposure to multiple social platforms and business verticals
    - Freedom to take on side projects
    - Flexible with work hours and usually willing to accommodate family needs, emergencies, etc.

Cons

- Most employees are overstressed with enormous workloads
    - Management in place to maintain status quo
    - Promotions aren't merit-based
    - Employee development by managers not available
    - Very little thought leadership

Advice to Management

See Cons.

8. "Great Company.. Great CEO.. Great Family"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Culver City, CA

I have been working at CitizenNet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I still work here as an Engineer so my review is a bit biased. The work culture is amazing.
    Everyone is accessible for questions, doubts, and discussions. Your opinion is valued and coming to work seems less like a job and more like hanging out with friends and building something amazing together.
    There is a Fantasy Football League, DnD and board game night, Triathlon teams and more cool stuff.

Cons

Parking kinda sucks on Tuesdays, but I guess I need to ride my bike in anyway.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what they are doing.

9. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Senior Campaign Manager in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Campaign Manager in Culver City, CA

I have been working at CitizenNet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Co-workers are very nice and welcoming
    - Competitive/fair wages
    - Room for career growth
    - Growing/expanding company
    - Great product
    - Good company culture
    - Casual dress code
    - Lots of free food

Cons

- Workload can be overwhelming at times
    - Wearing a lot of hats
    - Longer hours

Advice to Management

The management is great here. Everyone is very encouraging and helpful. My only advice would be to encourage everyone to take breaks and to not work as late.

10. "Solid Company. I currently work here."

I have been working at CitizenNet full-time

Pros

I have worked for a few ad tech companies over the past 15 years. They are the second best company I have worked for (the first was acquired about ten years ago) and CitizenNet is the best marketing partner I have worked for in the social ads space (I have worked for four, two of which had some form of exit or acquisition)

1 - they have actual technology and commit themselves to building better automation - this makes the life easier for clients and employees ( less tedious and manual work)

2- management is very transparent, with truly an open door policy. Want to know what's going on with our finances? our outlook, our growth? just ask, there is also a weekly Friday meeting that summarizes it. The leadership and founders also have a history of success.

3- Friendly culture. No office politics here, it's a group under 50 and most people get along and most people are true problem solvers. Sometimes it feels like a big Family and i love the office comradery

4- You create your own opportunities. If you want a specific role, simply be proactive and prove that it's needed and that you are the fit for that role. I have seen many colleagues get promoted and others transition into completely different types of new roles.

5 - You learn alot and it's a fun process. Mark Cuban said it best, in College you pay to learn, In the real working world, people pay you to learn. CitizenNet pays you to learn new skill sets that are applied on the job and it is encouraged

6 - Because of the tech first approach to problem-solving and campaign management, most people in the company actually leave at a decent hour.

7- Trust - They hire well, and as a result there is a lot of trust amongst the team, $30M accounts are entrusted to just one or two people to manage at times.

8- Financial Health - this is important to call out. They are financially in a good position and as a result, there is greater job security and less irrelevant pressure that comes from having a board of directors.

If you want the ability to grow as a professional, make an impact on a company, gain skillsets, make wonderful friends with a fun office and make good money, then you should consider CitizenNet

Cons

Multiple Hats - As part of a startup culture (a company under 10 years with less than 200 employees) you assume that you may take on multiple responsibilities. This can lead to more work and lead you to a job function outside your comfort zone based on lack of experience. This can be an acquired taste. Personally, for me, I really enjoy this part. It provides alot of validation that the team and leadership trust me, offers me an opportunity to grow and helps me see a path of evolution with the company.

Set it, forget it - Sometimes it may come across as if there is no high-level direction from management. Again, I think this is another form of validation that management trusts you. As long as you get the job done. There is no micromanagement here.

If you are seeking a company with micromanagement and nuanced levels of structure, then a company typically under 10 years and less than 200 employees (like CitizenNet) may not be the best fit for you.

They do have alot of different projects going on - so there are lots of different and very unique conversations.

Advice to Management

There could be better Coordination of shared information between, Existing Business, New Business, and Revenue leads.

More feedback to help employees be, better employees and ensure their value and evolution with the company is aways a good thing.

But overall i think the team and management are doing a pretty solid job considering their place in the market, their footprint, head count, clients and tech.