Clinkle Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Lucas Duplan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work with many smart and talented people"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Clinkle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working here has been great. After almost 2 years with Clinkle, I can say that most of the work has been challenging and fun. Working with very talented people around you always allows you to come in to work and actually learn something. There is great flexibility in what you work on, and can move around the company's roles as needed or as you desire. Obviously with some lead time and talking with the managers but usually its not a problem.

Cons

Not much, its been great working here. The lay offs sucked, but that is not really different from any other company.

Advice to Management

Not much, the current management is small and great. We are accomplishing great things and things are on point.

2. "Sucked"

Former Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Clinkle (Less than a year)

Pros

As you already know, nothing good to say about this company

Cons

Poor management. Lack of transparency

"Interesting Learning Experience - First Real Job Out of College"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Clinkle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with some really amazing individuals who had good ideas.
    The excitement of helping to contribute to a company from the ground up.

Cons

The Management team didn't know what they were doing. There were very few details as to how specifically the company was doing or how we as a team could contribute to making the business be successful. Most of the "leaders" were constantly infighting and would cause confusion amongst their teams.

Advice to Management

Find a direction and stick with it. Get people who have experience and listen to them.

"Fun while it lasted"

Former Employee - Test Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Clinkle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

By far it was the team. Never have I worked with a more talented and friendly core team. Yes some people came and left, but the people who stuck through it were great people and I'm better for knowing them.

Plus they had catered lunch I suppose.

Cons

Once all of those great people left, the company itself was a shallow shell of its former dream. I don't have much hope of it succeeding after this. But they still have money and at least one person who won't give up...

I'd still take my chances elsewhere though.

Advice to Management

Take the loss. Move on and do something else. And next time don't let your expectations of what you think something should be worth stop you from recognizing what it is actually worth.

Don't try to run it by being the guy at the top, instead be the guy right in the center. Someone everyone can rally around.

5. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Clinkle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The ability to make a significant contribution to the product.
    - The freedom to choose the areas of the product you'd like to work on.
    - Friendly and open culture.
    - Lots of talented people to work with.
    - Great work-like balance.
    - Fast-paced development process.

Cons

- Not much to say here, I've enjoyed my time at the company and I'm optimistic about it's future.

6. "Smart people, awesome product, lots of opportunity."

I have been working at Clinkle full-time

Pros

We have an amazing team filled with extremely smart, passionate people. It has also become a very transparent environment with a really healthy culture and good work/life balance. Everyone works really hard but also gets rewarded for all their hard work and there is a ton of opportunity to learn and grow.

Cons

It is challenging being under such a microscope due to our large round of seed funding and some mistakes that were made early on. Negative press is never fun. That being said, mistakes were made early on and owned up to and we have matured and grown as a company and I'm excited for our product to speak for itself very soon.

7. "Huge opportunities for growth"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Clinkle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Within my first hour of my first visit coming onsite at Clinkle, I was a firm believer in the product as well as the quality of the team. I am incredibly optimistic about the outlook of this company. Working here, I have had the ability to be very hands on and to help build out the infrastructure and business logic that will be the basis of our system. The team leaders (including recently hired VP Engineering!!) are awesome and allow for a lot of room to be creative and hands on with different projects. Some perks: free lunch & dinner, membership to SF Bay Club (across the street), flexible work hours, awesome location

Cons

in order to recruit (especially for engineers which we really need!) we have to deal with the negative press that is out there. However, as I said before, if we can get someone onsite, they tend to be very interested.

Advice to Management

as the app becomes publicly available, let the product speak of its beauty and utility for itself. let the users tell the story. they will! :)

8. "Good opportunities, room to grow and learn, a lot of autonomy and good benefits for an old startup."

Current Employee - Software/Database Administrator Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Clinkle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Leaders show a lot of focus on the goals of the company.
    - Open environment and good chance of growing and learning about latest technology
    - Compensation and benefits are good.
    - Work-life balance is respected.
    - Hiring new people who are experienced is one of the goal of the company.

Cons

- Accountability across the organization is still in infancy stage but working on it.
    - I haven't felt the real culture of the company yet but I think the new leaders below the Chief's are making a good effort in creating one.
    - a little bit farther from the Bart :(

Advice to Management

- Focus on the delivery
    - Create a collaborative and innovative culture
    - Start team building efforts within and across different teams
    - Define company culture so employees know how to build product fast and reliable.

"Nut cake"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Clinkle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love the free food
    Did I mention the food?

Cons

Overhyped opportunity
    No trust in leadership

Advice to Management

Return the money

10. "Don't listen to the haters, this is the best job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Clinkle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great, the pay is excellent, the perks are awesome. The employee quality here blows my mind - this place is made of the best of the best from Stanford's CS/Product Design departments. The app is beautiful and has an altruistic edge that I don't see in any other payment app, which makes me really hopeful.

I have really interesting projects and a lot of responsibility. Pretty sure that's the same for most every startup though? One thing that's awesome is that our design team delivers VIDEOS along with PSDs for each feature they ask to build.

A couple months ago, the entire company was told we had a crunch coming up, so they gave us a surprise week of paid vacation. Some of us went to Hawaii and chilled on the beach for eight days.

Cons

Lucas/management have made some mistakes. Firing an entire growth team six months after hiring them is a pretty colossal screwup and it's given us nothing but bad press and bitter reviews here on Glassdoor. Having lots of funding is both a blessing and a curse - when someone makes a mistake, like hiring an entire team that the company doesn't need, the pain is magnified by 20.

Every move is scrutinized by the press, which sucks.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on product- the time to fight back and fix our image is almost here.