Cover image for Clinkle

50% Recommend to a Friend
55% Approve of CEO

Found 24 of over 26 reviews

3.3
Clinkle CEO 	Lucas Duplan (no image)
Lucas Duplan

70 Comments

Tech

455.3K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Clinkle~670183
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Most of the people I worked with were great, enthusiastic, and excited to work.(in 4 reviews)
  • "One the best teams I've been on in a work environment, positive office culture, bold yet friendly management, very flexible, extremely creative people, lots of opportunity to make an impact, solid perks for a young company(in 3 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work with many smart and talented people

Nov 26, 2014 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working here has been great. After almost 2 years with Clinkle, I can say that most of the work has been challenging and fun. Working with very talented people around you always allows you to come in to work and actually learn something. There is great flexibility in what you work on, and can move around the company's roles as needed or as you desire. Obviously with some lead time and talking with the managers but usually its not a problem.

Cons

Not much, its been great working here. The lay offs sucked, but that is not really different from any other company.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Don't listen to the haters, this is the best job I've ever had

Aug 11, 2014 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people are great, the pay is excellent, the perks are awesome. The employee quality here blows my mind - this place is made of the best of the best from Stanford's CS/Product Design departments. The app is beautiful and has an altruistic edge that I don't see in any other payment app, which makes me really hopeful. I have really interesting projects and a lot of responsibility. Pretty sure that's the same for most every startup though? One thing that's awesome is that our design team delivers VIDEOS along with PSDs for each feature they ask to build. A couple months ago, the entire company was told we had a crunch coming up, so they gave us a surprise week of paid vacation. Some of us went to Hawaii and chilled on the beach for eight days.

Cons

Lucas/management have made some mistakes. Firing an entire growth team six months after hiring them is a pretty colossal screwup and it's given us nothing but bad press and bitter reviews here on Glassdoor. Having lots of funding is both a blessing and a curse - when someone makes a mistake, like hiring an entire team that the company doesn't need, the pain is magnified by 20. Every move is scrutinized by the press, which sucks.

3. Join the Clinkle team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great culture, incredible talent & product. Young CEO who's made mistakes, but he's making a big effort to improve.

Dec 1, 2013 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Everyone at Clinkle is a genius of high caliber -Really laid back work environment, happy hour Fridays. -But we're also really serious about our work, and take the technology to the next level -Best design team in the valley -Best of the best talent out of Stanford (several engineers were in top 2% of class) -Extremely beautiful and user-focused product, not just a utility app -Trying to solve a really huge problem, fundamental to every human -Not just looking to get acquired like most startups, trying to go big -Very well-funded, meaning we can hire amazing people -The CEO fully understands the mistakes he's made, and is making a huge effort recently to improve on these problems and hire really experienced executives to help him get better.

Cons

-CEO is young an inexperienced, but acts like he's already started two or three billion-$ companies -Design Team can be overbearing and overconfident in their requirements to engineering -Product hasn't launched yet (though this is mostly due to our external vendors, not internal) -Slightly below market compensation (but they'll definitely give you a raise if you earn it)

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

One of the most valuable experiences of my life so far

Aug 11, 2014 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

I am challenged every day at Clinkle to do my very best. I'm given the autonomy to pursue the work I deem is most important, and I get to do it alongside an incredible team that includes some of the smartest, friendliest, and most multifaceted people I've ever met. Under this intense pressure, I've grown in a hundred different ways and accumulated meaningful experience at a rate far faster than I could've imagined. Not to mention the sweet, beautiful product that we've painstakingly built! If you're hungry to learn and ready to be pushed outside your comfort zone, Clinkle is where you should be.

Cons

The company is always evolving and changing. As with every startup, there is instability and changes of direction, and I've seen a lot of this firsthand. It sucks, but again that's just the startup life. If you're considering joining, make sure Clinkle and you are on the same page about what you're looking for and what you expect Clinkle to be. Good communication reduces the risk of expectation mismatch, which sucks for everyone.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Huge opportunities for growth

Aug 18, 2014 - Data Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Within my first hour of my first visit coming onsite at Clinkle, I was a firm believer in the product as well as the quality of the team. I am incredibly optimistic about the outlook of this company. Working here, I have had the ability to be very hands on and to help build out the infrastructure and business logic that will be the basis of our system. The team leaders (including recently hired VP Engineering!!) are awesome and allow for a lot of room to be creative and hands on with different projects. Some perks: free lunch & dinner, membership to SF Bay Club (across the street), flexible work hours, awesome location

Cons

in order to recruit (especially for engineers which we really need!) we have to deal with the negative press that is out there. However, as I said before, if we can get someone onsite, they tend to be very interested.

7. 2.0
    Former Employee

Eng was great

Apr 8, 2020 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Eng team were very dedicated and talented

Cons

CEO was less than desirable

8. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Clinkle gave me a great opportunity--They will go very far

Apr 16, 2014 - Senior Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I worked with some of the smartest people in the valley and learned a lot. Environment is great and there is a balance. As a startup, company is under lots of pressure to show their product but management made correct decision not to until all testing is completed.

Cons

Yes, sometimes it was hectic to meet deadlines but that is how one learns. It is fast-paced environment and it is not for everyone.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good opportunities, room to grow and learn, a lot of autonomy and good benefits for an old startup.

Aug 12, 2014 - Software/Database Administrator Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Leaders show a lot of focus on the goals of the company. - Open environment and good chance of growing and learning about latest technology - Compensation and benefits are good. - Work-life balance is respected. - Hiring new people who are experienced is one of the goal of the company.

Cons

- Accountability across the organization is still in infancy stage but working on it. - I haven't felt the real culture of the company yet but I think the new leaders below the Chief's are making a good effort in creating one. - a little bit farther from the Bart :(

10. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Unfortunately worst work experience thus far...

Feb 12, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Most of the people I worked with were great, enthusiastic, and excited to work. Unfortunately most all those people have been let go due to unclear management goals and poor management in general. There was free lunches, but while I was there the food was actually pretty bad. Think this has changed though.

Cons

Little to no communication from managers to their employees. Managers never initiated one-on-one's with me, there was no clear path or timeline provided to me about what I'd be doing nor when I would get to transition to doing what I was hired to do. Obviously the numerous random layoffs due to bad management and unclear company goals, which the laid off employees had to take the brunt of. Even with new seasoned execs, they still don't have their stuff together and layoffs continue. I'm pretty over this company and I honestly don't even know anymore about the outlook of this company. Just seems to go from bad to worse.

5 people found this review helpful
  11. 5.0
    Current Employee

Smart people, awesome product, lots of opportunity.

Aug 15, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

We have an amazing team filled with extremely smart, passionate people. It has also become a very transparent environment with a really healthy culture and good work/life balance. Everyone works really hard but also gets rewarded for all their hard work and there is a ton of opportunity to learn and grow.

Cons

It is challenging being under such a microscope due to our large round of seed funding and some mistakes that were made early on. Negative press is never fun. That being said, mistakes were made early on and owned up to and we have matured and grown as a company and I'm excited for our product to speak for itself very soon.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 24 Reviews