ClubCorp Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
ClubCorp President and CEO Eric L. Affeldt
Eric L. Affeldt

Pros
  • Free golf and really nice clubhouse (in 24 reviews)

• It was not a job but a passion for me and I was able to go to the country club every day for 20 years (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is not favorable; nature of the beast (in 12 reviews)

• Low pay, inconvenient hours, corporate limitations (in 18 reviews)

1. "ClubCorp a great learning ground for young/inexperienced GM's"

Former Employee - General Manager in Indian Wells, CA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Indian Wells, CA

I worked at ClubCorp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Large company with many opportunities for an inexperienced GM. Good training program and regional support team is experienced and knowledgeable

Cons

Like any large corporation....you do it there way or else.

Advice to Management

Great company to gain knowledge and experience....exposed to City Clubs and Country Club operations

2. "Food and Bev (Over the summer)"

Former Employee - Food and Beverage in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Food and Beverage in San Antonio, TX

I worked at ClubCorp part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff was very welcoming and was eager to help newcomers. Management was very understanding and felt like they cared about you as an employee partner

Cons

Management sometimes expected employees to put down whatever they were doing at the time to work on another task. Sometimes felt disorganized

Advice to Management

Plan more in advance for unexpected events or crowds.

3. "Low level review"

Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Tampa, FL

I worked at ClubCorp part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and a slow-pace at work allowed for studying for lectures

Cons

Complex and meaningless responsibilities, interactions with management would give no results

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees, they know more about what to fix than anyone else

5. "Poolside Waitress at Brookhaven Country Club"

Former Employee - Server/Waitress in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Server/Waitress in Dallas, TX

I worked at ClubCorp part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great work environment; managers have your back; generally laid-back and stress-free

Cons

working outside all day; sometimes do not get a lunch break; tip share is annoying

Advice to Management

give employees more breaks for lunch and water; be more willing to pay employees overtime

"Bad Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skillman, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skillman, NJ

I have been working at ClubCorp part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy for someone only seeking non-serious, part time work, can teach you a lot about working in a fast-paced environment, teaches you to be self-reliant and assertive

Cons

Bad management, don't recognize or reward performance, too many people trying to be in charge, only way to move up is to suck up, take advantage of you, force you to work more hours, hard to even get a raise

Advice to Management

Hire better managers that actually care about their employees. Most are corporate suck-ups

7. "Clubcorp"

Current Employee - Server in Edmond, OK
    Current Employee - Server in Edmond, OK

I have been working at ClubCorp part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love getting to know all the members and I love the people I work with. We get mondays off so thats nice too. - We get paid well too.

Cons

They take out an %18 gratuity out of server's checks and it doesn't go directly to us.

8. "Club Corp employee-5 years"

Current Employee - Bartender/Server in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Bartender/Server in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at ClubCorp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Club Corp is a good employer. They honestly treat employees very well and are relatively concerned with employee morale. I would suggest employment here to anyone.

Cons

It is tough to move up internally. There doesn't seem to be much room for career advancement. Club Corp also can get caught up in regulating and micro managing.

Advice to Management

Let your clubs run themselves. Lay off the micro managing and morale and productivity will improve.

9. "One sentence is hard to describe how bad it is to work for this company."

Former Employee - Assistant Golf Professional in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Golf Professional in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at ClubCorp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Playing privileges. And even that is not really one I would count as a pro because of how restricted it is to use your so-called "playing privileges. "

Cons

This company is bottom dollar in every terrible way you could imagine. Below industry standard pay scales. No capital spending on repairs. Funds for emergency repairs were misappropriated for providing a "face-lift" to the restaurant. Zero employee appreciation events. The two events that happened at this specific course at the resort in the woodlands were personal undertakings by myself and another employee. Inappropriate relationships between employees and members were not only looked over but seemed to have the blessing of the GM/RM. Member complaints and suggestions were ignored on a daily basis, to include not having a designated locker room for the ladies of the club. You read that right, for a year the female membership has begged and pleaded to have the club do something to provide the ladies with a basic club necessity and instead used the budget to recarpet the restaurant and buy new tv. The ignoring of the members got so bad that mass membership lose was a legitimate concern. Unused alcohol inventory that was already charged to contacts from tournaments/outings was put back into inventory and resold to fluff sales numbers. Completely illegal according to a small agency known as the TABC. Employees taking money to expose themselves to members on the course. Employees bringing their own personal alcohol and snacks and selling it for personal profit. Management covered this up to protect this specific employee because of the personal relationship that was being had with a member of the club. Employees taking alcohol inventory for personal use and charging it to tournament/outing accounts. Employees known to management to be intoxicated at work were overlooked and allowed to continue operating a vehicle. Immediate, upper and top management all seem to have just "found" their way in to these offices and began calling themselves the leadership.

Advice to Management

To upper management - Really take a hard look at who you are allowing to run your operations and courses. The few that I have had the displeasure of working with would have so many Human Resources cases on profanity and harassment and inappropriate behavior(especially vulgar language in the work place) that you would fire yourself for ever having put that person in charge.

And to Immediate Management - I had the worst time of my career working with you. You wasted a year of my career by leading me on with promised raises and changes. Instead I was met with immature and weak management that has no control of its employees and no idea how to properly manage a country club. I hope for your current and future employees sakes that you take some leadership and HR classes. If not for learning how not to do things, I would have to say that I am worse off in my career for having spent even a day on your staff.

10. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Frisco, TX

I worked at ClubCorp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employees might have a small chance to relocated

Cons

Unfair , stressful place to work , bad environment, and disrespect to employees

Advice to Management

Improvements on leadership

11. "Great experience so far"

Former Employee - Private Events Staff Member in Trophy Club, TX
    Former Employee - Private Events Staff Member in Trophy Club, TX

I worked at ClubCorp (Less than a year)

Pros

Love the workforce culture and the managers are great

Cons

Nothing bad to say really

Advice to Management

Offer opportunity for growth and advancement