Coast Reviews

Updated May 26, 2020

3.9
Coast President & CEO Nicole Skovgard (no image)
Nicole Skovgard
Pros
  • "They say you’ll learn a lot about yourself through school, which is true(in 6 reviews)

• "Nicole and Taylor are great people to work with(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Any future employer worth their salt will see this position for what it was--a door-to-door sales job that's just as bad as an MLM(in 13 reviews)

• "They don't tell you that it's door to door sales(in 9 reviews)

"Changed My Life For The Better"

Former Employee - Accounts Manager in Lombard, IL

I worked at Coast full-time for less than a year

Pros

Invests in their employees so that they become better people not workers. Everyone who is employed there genuinely cares for one another. So many connections to knowledgeable and successful people in the industry. The opportunity for growth is at your own pace. You do not have to wait for someone else in order to get promoted. It is merit based, so when I did really well, I was rewarded for it. I had learned more about myself in 6 months, than I ever did in my first 22 years.

Cons

None, I wish I didn't have to move. otherwise I would have spent the rest of my career at Coast.

Continue reading
  2. "Excellent Development Program"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Lombard, IL

I have been working at Coast full-time for more than a year

Pros

The experiences that I have had at Coast have taught me how to strike up a conversation with a business owner, who was originally stranger to me, which is not something that I had ever been comfortable with prior to this. Now, not only has Coast taught me how to do this, but the interpersonal skills that they have taught me have given me the confidence to go beyond this and to create personal relationships with strangers as well. I feel as if I have learned more about interacting with people within Coast's development program than I had learned throughout my four years in undergraduate studies. Aside from this, when I started at Coast I was a recent college graduate and although I understood how to perform exceptionally in the academic world, I didn't have a very clear idea of how to truly create and set real, concrete goals or even how to properly manage my finances. The management team at Coast taught me all of these things and they have truly aided my personal development at an exponential level.

Cons

I believe that the only major con to working at this company is the necessity of learning how to deal with and overcome rejection from others. This was the most difficult aspect of the job for me, but they do provide excellent training which is intended to develop one's mindset on how to approach this. As long as someone approaches this aspect of the job with a good student mentality and truly applies what they have been taught, then they will find that it is not too difficult to overcome this rejection.

3. "Training Program"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Coast full-time for more than a year

Pros

My main reason for starting and staying at Coast Inc. is because of the hands-on training and development I receive daily. I started here right after college and had little to no experience. It was such a breath of fresh air to interview with a company that promised a thorough training program AND delivered. Mentorship is key in business. You need to have someone in your corner in order to succeed - and it's always more fun to have someone to celebrate with ;)

Cons

My main struggle since I have started here has been that everything is on me. I can't make excuses or blame anyone else for not getting the job done. Our business is a mirror and when you are doing well, it's easy to keep looking at yourself, but when you're not, it is harder to look at your reflection. At the end of the day, our company is merit based. It is up to you to see where you will take your opportunity.

Continue reading

"Please don't fall for this"

Former Employee - Team Lead in Lombard, IL

I worked at Coast full-time for less than a year

Pros

These are charismatic, fun people to be around. You make friends with great people, but everyone is caught up in the lie--including management. I don't think anyone is maliciously trying to hurt you, but everyone has fallen for the same trick and is stuck in an almost cult mindset.

Cons

- 100% commission. I was considered a top performer. I even went on a trip or 2. But I only ever made a couple hundred a week. But don't forget that you pay for your own gas, drive your own car all day every day, and you work very long hours. You do not get paid vacation, sick days, etc.--in fact, you are made to feel guilty when you take time off because it is a sign that you are not fully dedicated to your work. - Mandatory outside of work activities--we had a team activity on Tuesdays after work and a company activity on Thursdays after work every week (work hours are typically 7AM - 6 or 6:30 PM, events last until 8:30 or 9 PM). You paid for your own food/drinks/entry for these activities. I now realize this is a tactic that pulls you into the cult-like dedication to the company. All of my friends are here--why would I leave? If you are a team lead, you are expected to take new team members out for dinner or drinks and pay for their meals to show you are welcoming them. Great practice--but as a former team lead, I could not afford to do this. I still did. I wanted to be a good leader, and I was told this was the way to do it. - This job takes advantage of those who are in vulnerable positions, particularly marginalized populations. You will likely not succeed, but you are guaranteed not to succeed if you don't have a car and must use public transportation. If you have kids, a long commute, rent to pay, student debt, bills in general--do not take this job. I lived with my parents at the time rent-free, and I still struggled financially. I was lucky. They won't tell you any of this. I quit after realizing my morals did not line up with what I was seeing at this company. So many poor young kids and grown adults desperate for a job and willing to work hard, but made to feel like it's their fault when they don't succeed. It's wrong. - This is a very similar business model to an MLM. They will tell you it's not because technically team leads do not make money off of their team members. However, you don't advance unless you are able to recruit more people to this company. When team members quit, you start from square one. And this company has a lot of bad attrition. - Finally, they like to tell you that having a Marketing/Sales role on your resume will help you in future jobs. This is false. Any future employer worth their salt will see this position for what it was--a door-to-door sales job that's just as bad as an MLM. The skills you acquire here are NOT valuable in a true marketing position. Might help you take rejection as a salesperson better, but the sales tactics are ineffective and should not be carried over to new roles. This company is just not teaching modern sales or marketing practices.

Continue reading

"Dishonest about job duties"

2.0
    Former Employee - B2B Sales Consultant

I worked at Coast full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice managers Co-workers seemed friendly You become good at getting used to people who dislike you and what you are selling

Cons

I was told I'd be doing business consulting. Instead I was walking into stores and offices uninvited selling energy from business to business. Considered soliciting by many business places I entered so many potential clients treated me very badly and they had the right to. This is a door to door salesman job. Culture is overly happy in a cultish way, very weirdly excessive positive energy.

November 1, 2019Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We do consult with businesses over various utility pricing, and if applicable, we are able to sell services if it benefits the customer. In our experience, business owners appreciate our team for saving them money when we can. We do not believe that anyone should be treated badly, no matter what the instance, and we sincerely apologize that you had that experience. We love our happy culture and amazing team. So sorry it didn't appeal to you. Best of luck on your future endeavors!

"Sketchy business practices"

Former Employee - Entry Level in Lombard, IL

I worked at Coast full-time

Pros

If you're a high-energy person, and don't mind conning people into doing something that they aren't interested in doing, and you can handle rejection really well, this might be the job for you.

Cons

Works like a pyramid scheme. I was hired and interviewed for a Corporate Trainer position. They pretended to really like my resume and experience. I was put into an entry level position, and was told that I have to work my way to the Trainer position, but the thing is, every single salesperson has the same exact opportunity that I had. My work experience and resume meant nothing. You start out in door-to-door sales, become a lead/trainer, and work your way to manager through sales, and manage the next set of leads, who trains the next set of salespeople, in which case you're expected to have a certain number of people to your team. It's literally a pyramid scheme mixed with a door-to-door sales scam. Not good at being dishonest? Don't worry, they'll teach you how to manipulate the situation into getting someone to do what you want them to do.

November 1, 2019Manager

Hello! In regards to the pros- we don’t condone or train our team to mislead or con anyone. Integrity is a huge value of ours. We have a strict training program and guidelines in place in order to ensure that all sales completed are agreed upon by both parties. Regarding the cons, we're sorry you felt that we pretended to like your resume. That definitely was not the case. In order for our company to succeed, it's vital that we work with great candidates. I am sure you are someone we felt had potential to be great. We are looking for someone who has the ability to move into a training position quickly, although before we put them in that role we want to them to learn the position they would be training on. High energy people who like to move at a fast pace and are eager to learn do really well in our company. We are not a pyramid scheme or a scam. We have been in business for over 10 years and have positively contributed to employees and the community. We are sorry you didn't have a great experience with us, and hope that you have found something that more closely aligns with your career goals. Best of luck.

"Scam"

I worked at Coast full-time for less than a year

Pros

Do not fall for it

Cons

It is a multilevel marketing scheme

November 1, 2019Manager

Hello! We are not multilevel marketing company. We do not employ recruitment or financial practices that coincide with multilevel marketing. Thank you!

"job"

2.0

I worked at Coast full-time

Pros

people are supportive and helpful

Cons

Just too far from home

November 1, 2019Manager

We love that you enjoyed our supportive and helpful environment. Sorry that your commute didn't work well for you. Guessing by your rating, you were pretty bummed to not get to work with our team long term. Best of luck moving forward!

"Horrible"

I worked at Coast full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nothing Nothing Nothing Nothing Nothing

Cons

Favoritism Gossip Slow No growth Bad pay Too many

November 1, 2019Manager

We welcome every team member at Coast Inc. to inform us of any issues related to their work environment, including gossip. We’re sorry you didn’t feel comfortable letting us know so that we could assist in resolving any issues. In regards to no growth or bad pay, we’re a merit based company. Growth is an integrated and very important part of our strategy to expand our company. We wouldn’t exist if we didn’t provide every opportunity we do for our team to learn and develop skills needed to be successful. We include executive coaching, team coaching, and daily training sessions along with opportunities to travel to learn. We hope that you find something better suits your career needs and hope that you are able to be more forward to company management about any issues you’re encountering. Best of luck!

"Great experience & opportunity"

Former Employee - Recruiter

I worked at Coast full-time for more than a year

Pros

My first position out of college is not at all what I would’ve expected. They say you’ll learn a lot about yourself through school, which is true. However, the amount of real life experience and how much I got to know about myself and grow professionally and personally in the year and a half I was working at Coast is truly not replicable if I had chosen to work anywhere else. The coaching from the managers, Taylor and Nicole is something money can’t buy. Although, very different, their dynamic as business owners makes the company fun, energetic, competitive, and most of all family like. Which, I’m sure a lot of people can’t say about their managers. Since it was my first job - I wanted to explore other options, but if your lucky enough to get a position and get the experience and opportunity to learn not only about how to run a business, but also about what you’re really good at (they help you focus on that) and not so good (they help you improve) then you should take it. This isn’t an easy career, but if you stick with it, it’s worth your while. Whether someone here is long term or short term or just an interview, I think they have a positive impact on every single person they encounter and that’s hard to come by. Thank you guys for the most positive experience I could’ve asked for and I will forever be grateful that two people truly believed in me and made me realize that I could do anything and achieve any goal that I put my mind to.

Cons

The position is hard work and could be very challenging for someone who isn’t ready to commit to a career based role.

Found 57 reviews