Coloplast Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Coloplast President & CEO Lars Rasmussen
Lars Rasmussen

Pros
  • Great products and great customer base to deal with (in 7 reviews)

• Many people managers encourage work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • lack of leadership competencies of senior management (in 4 reviews)

• Constant changes in strategy and direction creates a revolving door for US employees (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great building, smart and fun people, nice to work at a company providing a real benefit to people"

Current Employee - Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Coloplast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Global company means plenty of opportunities, but the Mpls location has a small company feel. It's nice to think about the work we do actually providing a benefit to people, not just peddling unnecessary junk. I've worked with jerks in other companies before but haven't had any problems here. The work is challenging.

Cons

Occasional stress but nothing out of the ordinary, tools and systems are rudimentary. Almost the entire organization is run off of Excel, but to some that's a good thing.

2. "RSD"

Current Employee - Rsd in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Rsd in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Coloplast full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great products and great customer base to deal with

Cons

Minneapolis weather is too cold!

Advice to Management

Seek input from the field & our customers as oftern as possible

"More like a distributor than a sales rep."

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Coloplast full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good products that can change the lives of patients. Very innovative and always looking for the next best thing. Strong R+D.

Cons

Compensation is not what they say it will be. Spend more time collecting documents rather than actually selling product. Almost as if you were a distributor.

Advice to Management

Let the distributors do their job and let your sales reps sell their products. Stop trying to build up your database of names for your acquired distributors

"Urology Care/Surgical Urology"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Coloplast full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Autonomy - with corporate in Denmark, and senior leaders there as well, you can stay clear of management. Some products are leaders, most are me too.

Cons

Leadership revolving door with US executives. Denmark corporate has an executive that runs the business and he fires US executives every 2 years. For those of us on the street, it affects us both positively and negatively. Positively, we have complete autonomy because no one knows what we're doing, nor do they know our customers, but to the negative, no one knows our business, our markets, our competitors, or products at the level to help us compete. Quotas, compensation, product promotions, completely change with each new set of executives, creating wild swings in how we are paid and direction given.

Not one rep, nor one manager, nor one VP has been promoted in 8+ years, all enter from outside the company and none last more than 2 years. Sales management turnover and sales rep turnover is the highest I've ever seen in medical device. In one year 1/2 of sales management, and 1/4 of sales reps either quit of got fired.

They promise a high salary and high commission, but in my 5 years only 1/3 of the 100 or so reps ever come close to making plan as goals are unachievable. Compensation also changes multiple times per year. In 2016, they continued to slash commission throughout the year, while raising quotas. This was discussed in other comments in reviews as well. I've never heard of this before in medical device, yet they did it again in 2017.

There is no team at Coloplast, it's run like an assembly line, and you're expected to just do your job and not bother corporate or your boss.

Products, not one new product in 5 years, not one promised to deliver in years to come.

Advice to Management

Model other US device companies to learn how to run a surgical device business. Model J&J, Medtronic, Boston Sci, ... to learn how to treat customers, support a sales and marketing team with the tools, products and compensation needed to be competitive. Get rid of tenure RSDs who believe that the old ways are the only ways to do things because they've never had another job with any other companies. Leadership is totally lacking; motivation, trust, development, growth, promotions, strategy, execution, competition, new products ... They value one thing only, hit your number or else, that is all I've seen from their communication of what they call an "execution culture".

Culture, culture, culture is a constant topic, with posters up, and compliance testing, with be nice to other employees emails, but it's all corporate public relations only, because management actions are the complete opposite.

Benchmark US device companies that retain, develop, promote and walk their talk about employees as their most valued asset. This isn't Denmark, and it may work there, but is sure isn't working here.

6. "Good company"

I have been working at Coloplast full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company lives up to its mission and values. Culture at US corporate is great. Work/life balance possible

Cons

Very flat company therefore not many great opportunities for advancement. They have gotten much better at developing and retaining their own talent.

"Call center."

Former Employee - CONSUMER ADVISOR in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - CONSUMER ADVISOR in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Coloplast full-time

Pros

Company is innovative and does a good job bringing new useful products for end users to market.

Cons

Very much a call center environment. How many dials can you make in 8 hours? Micro management at its best. One manager has finally been talked to by HR after numerous complaints. I would highly recommend you look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Open up your deaf ears people are tired of working for managers that are demeaning and disrespectful.

"Exciting but Draining Workplace"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

There is a relatively flat hierarchical structure - innovation is celebrated, as long as you don't need outside support. The work is challenging and ever changing. Lots of opportunities to learn.

Cons

There is a disconnect between the Danish management and what is needed in the US. Most of the management is Danish and only in the US for 1-3 year stints, and with the leadership changes come the expected shifts in direction. A shortage in staff and resources across all teams - expect to work long hours. There is little respect for work-life balance.

"Run ... Do not work here for sales !"

Current Employee - Sales in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Coloplast full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have a nice gym . The cafe has some good food sometimes . You get the ability to help people but only to make a sale and then you have o move on . No real connection .

Cons

Everything , Pay is lower then the median . Be prepared to work in a place without trust . You will need to managed on rules the person enforcing them doesn't even follow .

Advice to Management

Get rid of all the managers and supervisors on the sales team . they are a complete Joke and one manager just like to make the women on her team cry . Just a big bully.

"Are you Danish? No? Look elsewhere."

Former Employee - Business Management in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Business Management in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Coloplast full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice building, nice location, great furniture in lobby. Pretty solid cafeteria.
    Rewarding work that helps people who need it.

Cons

Management (Director level and above) seem to care less about anyone below them. It's a rat race to keep from being the next one in the target. Management don't seem to value work:life balance and if you work for someone who doesn't have a family, good luck on being allowed to enjoy yours.

Advice to Management

Don't bring driven people into the Minneapolis office. Also, don't hire demeaning leadership.

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Coloplast (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working at Coloplast and I really enjoyed the company culture. I felt that the company really valued both employees and End Users. All the employees and management teams were amazing - I always felt like I could connect with them even if they were in a totally different state. Also, the upper management was never "above" everyone in lower positions. They truly tried to incorporate some "middle-out" management techniques. I would work here again in a heartbeat if the right opportunity came along!

Cons

Although the company was awesome, I didn't enjoy my job. I didn't feel the management (outside of the US) understood the US market. They would frequently tell us how important our feedback was but then they would not listen to what we were telling them about our customers. This created conflict when we tried to "listen and respond" to our End Users.

Advice to Management

Take a better look at the US market - if it's truly a #1 priority, it's necessary to cater to the End Users here!