CompAndSave.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Andrew Yeung

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Family-style workplace"

I have been working at CompAndSave.com full-time

Pros

Everyone at Compandsave are very hard working. You don't have to worry about someone dropping the ball. Benefits are great but PTO is not much but you have the opportunity to work at home if needed. CEO is very nice and supportive.

Cons

Very lean operation so people have to wear many hats and almost always a heavy workload.

2. "Better to learn"

I have been working at CompAndSave.com full-time

Pros

The team culture is awesome in CompAndSave, you don't worry about the communication gap between others, . CEO is very nice and supportive for new ideas and technologies.

Cons

PTO is not much, although it has work form home optional.

3. "Great Perks & Benefits!"

I have been working at CompAndSave.com full-time

Pros

For a smaller company CompAndSave has so many perks for their employees. I have been with larger companies that don't even come close to what CompAndSave has to offer. Fully stocked pantry, public transportation and gym membership reimbursements! They have a relaxed work atmosphere and are flexible with work schedules. They believe in a work in life balance here and I really appreciate that.

Cons

The office is bit quiet but I don't think its something we can change. Headphones are worn for music and we have departments that require phones so the quiet helps.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! The culture and morale has grown so much in the past year. Looking forward further success.

4. "Fun place to work at! <3"

I have been working at CompAndSave.com full-time

Pros

This company genuinely care about their employees. They give us time to exercise during our work time. They have a badminton court as well as a ping pong table. Super Fun! The great perks about working here is that you get free food and fun team building outings. We do get to bond with one another which makes us a stronger team. My superiors are very helpful when I need help with something and they can be flexible with your schedule, especially if you have a child. I have been able to learn a great amount of new things that can really help me out in the future. I am able to multi-task and organize thoughts in my head better than I used to be able to. I can definitely say that I have grown as a person.

Cons

The office is really quiet... I wish that we could play music out loud sometimes. But that is what headphones are for... ^_^ I don't think people will like the music I listen to though. They wouldn't be able to concentrate because they would be singing along..haha
    \m/(>.<)\m/

Advice to Management

none

5. "Awesome job to work with!"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Newark, CA

I have been working at CompAndSave.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

(1) Good balance on work and life
    (2) Relaxed working environment, snacks, pin-pong, and badminton
    (3) Good & friendly team members and nice manager

Cons

Have seen a lot of improvement for the employee programs, and want to see more improvement

6. "Wonderful Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Affiliate Marketing Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Affiliate Marketing Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at CompAndSave.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual environment, wonderful co-workers, ability to work remotely, office perks, growth within company

Cons

Time difference between marketing and central office

Advice to Management

None

7. "People Matter"

I have been working at CompAndSave.com full-time

Pros

My colleagues are one of the main reasons why I like working here. Everyone is friendly, smart, and respectful. Not to sound corny, but there is no "I." We're a small company so it's all about teamwork regardless of your title/position.
    We also have a lot of office perks--fruit delivery every week, monthly office lunch, volunteer opportunities, bring your (well-behaved) dog to work, etc.

Cons

Work hours can be extensive at times, and we don't have MLK Day or President's Day off. Sick time is also included in the PTO allotment.

Advice to Management

Add an extra holiday to the calendar or one more PTO day. Employees work very hard here and would appreciate another day off.

8. "Great Learning and Advancement Opportunities"

Current Employee - CSE Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - CSE Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at CompAndSave.com full-time

Pros

I was hired in November 2015 as a Digital Marketing Associate at the Austin branch. The interview process was quick, I met once with the Marketing Manager and once with the rest of the team. Within a couple of weeks of applying, I had an offer. The team was small when I started, but we are growing! I felt welcomed and comfortable right away. The training process was very hands-on - you won't have someone to walk you through every single step, but everyone is more than willing to help if you ask. We have the opportunity to work remotely as needed, but when everyone is together in the office it's a friendly, collaborative work environment. Our manager here in Austin really works with you to make sure you are comfortable with your workload and will find new opportunities for you to advance quickly within the company.

Cons

The company is still working out some kinks from previous bad management, so sometimes it can be a little frustrating.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring new talent and make sure they have the tools they need to succeed.

"Good for learning, not good for staying"

Former Employee - Lead Web Designer in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Web Designer in Newark, CA

I worked at CompAndSave.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

While working here I got to learn a lot. I was full stack so was able to work on a wide variety of skill sets. Since the company is young I also got to help shape some of the systems and standards (getting everyone on the same page was another story, design was great, every other dept was kind of like the Wild West). I also am aware that this is a huge con. People were not all held to the same standard.

We were encouraged to continue learning and given time to explore new ideas and technologies on the job. We got to do some fun things like company hikes, volunteering, barbecues, etc., although these were mostly taking place on the weekend. We had an in-office badminton and ping pong table, which was cool.

Cons

The actual office in incredibly boring. It's this huge open space where nobody speaks and there are a bunch of empty desks with junk (like old printers, wires, etc.) and I found it to be so demoralizing. If we didn't have Skype/Hipchat, I would have gone insane.

Austin - the marketing department was a huge joke, mostly because it had some of the worst management I've ever come into contact with, and when finally let go, left a quagmire of problems behind. From what I hear now the department is doing much better.

The management had a tendency to hire complete idiots and let them run amok, making life more miserable for those of us who wanted to improve things. We had some..characters...in the office who did not know how to behave professionally at all. Some behavior that was allowed to go on by a particular individual was sexual harassment of girls, leaving the office without anyone knowing where he went or when he'd be back, extended lunches, and constantly sending out rude emails. I'm also 90% sure he left that weird review about needing to speaking mandarin. That kind of stuff...all the time. And it was laughed off and never dealt with.

There was no HR, which meant any complaints we had were never handled properly. I would handle my team and if anything needed to be discussed, I'd take it up with the CEO. That was fine enough, but the problem was he also fancies himself in charge of the Development team. And operations. And payroll. And micromanaging marketing because of what a mess it was. So there was really no faith that anything would get done, because it never COULD get done.

The development team did not (as a team, there were and still are some very devoted individuals who work to improve the code) adhere to any type of code standards, so it was always a nightmare dealing with it. Code was rarely reusable, never organized, not commented, etc. They were not held accountable for this. Why? Because the CEO is also in charge of the dept. and didn't have time. Then when he does put some leadership in, the code is left in the same messy state it always has been, without being addressed or dealt with! It was disappointing how opportunities like this were not rewarded by merit, but just whatever felt the most convenient. I ended up dealing with a lot of this, but never paid or recognized for it.

So many projects were never finished, because they were given without any thought it research put in. Everything had a tight deadline, everything was important, everything had no clear vision or end in sight. Working a 12 hour day became normal, I really got numb to it. And so many projects were just abandoned, which was useless for my portfolio and/or sense of accomplishment. Time was never honored here.

That's another thing. We sold ink. Why these campaigns need to turn into mega projects I'll never understand. Why design and dev need to have 2-3 huge projects stacked on top of that I'll never understand. Let marketing do their thing and use templates. Design can supply assets, then you free up design and dev to work on the big projects in Newark. You have a brand manager, why aren't they focusing on the branding and not making stupid campaigns? I get the sense that you don't know what these people you hired are supposed to be doing or what the priorities are.

Advice to Management

A lot of the issues were a direct result of the marketing leadership, and the CEO allowed it to go on for too long. That's a huge problem. The CEO will just listen to what people tell him, which is fine if they're not idiots. But that was not the case.

Hire people to manage your departments. Hire a COO and get some HR. Stop picking favorites and actually hire some talent with the know-how to get code and practices up to snuff. Make people go home at 8 hours. You abuse the use of overtime. Treat your workers like adults who want to help the company grow but who also want to improve themselves.

CompAndSave.com Response

Feb 16, 2016 – HR/ Office Manager

We value and consider all feedback and we’ll continue to find ways to improve. We apologize that your experience at CompAndSave did not match our intention of being a comfortable and collaborative... More

"One hand tied behind the back, the free hand controlled by another"

Former Employee - Graphic Design Manager in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Graphic Design Manager in Newark, CA

Pros

Snacks, Fresh water, Free printer supplies

Cons

CEO is easily influenced by more aggressive selfish individuals. You have to speak Mandarin Chinese in order to actually enjoy working here.

Advice to Management

Marketing, Design, Developer are doing sham work since early 2015, they don't care though since they're getting ready for their next job in early 2016.