Computer Business Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good Experience"

Pros

Small teams, good work environment

Cons

no growth opportunity
    low pay
    Microsoft based

"Lots of learning opportunities"

I have been working at Computer Business Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working for Computer Business Solutions Inc. for more that 4 years. Lots of learning opportunities. Working with the technical team is a great experience. Managment is very helpfull. Nice environment.

Cons

Need to keep yourself updated with new technologies. If you are not enthusiastic about novel and challenging projects then it's probably not the right place for you.

"Opportunity to make significant impact"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Plano, TX

I have been working at Computer Business Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you are looking for a smaller close-knit team environment where you can immediately play a major role in exciting implementation and development projects and make significant impact, and where your contributions and achievements are highly recognized and well rewarded, you will find that environment working at CBSi. There is practically no bureaucracy or office politic within the organization. The President goes out of his way to make every team member successful and become an integral part of the company by:
    - encouraging and rewarding team work
    - providing and encouraging continuous learning and mentoring, on-the-job training, and functional and technical cross-training
    - getting many if not all of team members involved in the decision-making process on product design, implementation design, operations, marketing, and even personnel matters.
    - implementing profit sharing programs

Having built a successful IT career at large corporate environments with over 20+ years experience which included upper management and executive roles, when joining CBSi, I was initially concerned and skeptical whether I would fit in at CBSi. One of my concerns was about being able to work with the president who is also the sole owner, knowing that in many owner-operator businesses, the presidents/owners are typically much more controlling than the level acceptable to me. Within two weeks of joining, my concerns were completely erased. I was immediately assigned to work on significant implementation projects with complete independent and autonomy of making operational as well as tactical decisions on the projects. And, contrary to my expectations, the president has always been open and fielding opinions from team members (not just from me) on various company and client-related matters. We would often spend hours debating and arguing pros and cons on a subject before agreeing as a team.

If you are considering joining CBSi team and are hesitant after reading some of the Glass Door reviews, I can attest to you that some of the negative reviews are just the reviewers’ personal opinions that I and many other team members at CBSi do not agree and/or experience. Especially so are their opinions about the president’s personality traits. While he certainly is not perfect, he is in many ways one of the best managers that I have ever reported to. He is sharp, detail-oriented, and hands-on. He is always willing to listen to our opinions and ideas. He encourages us to challenge him anytime when we think that he may not be right. He in turn challenges us when he thinks that our way may not the best. He is also most generous, gracious, and sincere. He goes out of his way to make sure that we are well rewarded for jobs well done. He takes the time to listen and to try to assist us with our issues, both work-related and personal. And, when he does so, I can tell time and time again that he genuinely cares.

Cons

If you are looking for a slow-paced environment and are not comfortable with change, this is probably not the best place for you. If you are looking for a job with traditional career path, with advancement to managerial and supervisory roles, this may not be the best place for you either, at least not at the present time, due to the current size of the organization and the flat nature of the organization structure.

4. "Will Pay For Your Soul"

I worked at Computer Business Solutions full-time

Pros

There are very few if any pros to working for this company. One, because of the reputation in the industry and inability to consistently keep good people, the salaries do tend to be on par with industry standards, or even slightly higher. In an effort to keep good people through the dysfunction, bonuses and additional compensation are often offered. Outside of the CEO/President/Owner, the employees are really great to work with and generally have a good work ethic.

Cons

An absolute nightmare from very early on. Recruiters even know of the difficulty placing and keeping top level people at this organization. The problem is absolutely 100% due to the dysfunctional nature of the company's management which lays solely at the CEO/President/Owner's feet. He is a paranoid, micromanaging narcissist who places blame of company failures and inability to retain clients on everyone but himself when ultimately, he is almost always responsible. Horrible place to work, day to day stress of who is going to be lectured, called out and degraded leads to an absolutely awful culture.

Advice to Management

Directors and management level employees who are tasked with being responsible for the success or failure of the work should have sole control over the proposals and change orders presented to clients. CEO should not be selling software/add-ons/services on timelines and budgets which are not realistic or have proven results.

"Workaholic CEO"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Plano, TX

Pros

Employees are subject experts and work hard to provide excellent service and support to the clients.

Cons

CEO is a disorganized, distrusting micromanager. The few complements he gives employees are immediately followed by negative comments. He accepts no responsibility for poor management decisions and is quick to blame others.

Advice to Management

Allow the directors to have a say in management decisions. That is what they were hired to do. Company is run like a dictatorship.

6. "A nightmare"

Former Employee - IT Support in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - IT Support in Plano, TX

I worked at Computer Business Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people who are warriors and have stayed in the dysfunctional environment. Truly some great people with character and ethics.

Cons

Owner is Narcissitic Control Freak. Paranoid, distrusting and delusional. Equate the job as herding cats. No structure, pays lip service but no solid guidelines, his are ever changing setting you up for failure. Do not work there!!

Advice to Management

Get some serious counseling and resolve your issues from your family of origin.