Consumers Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Consumers Energy President and CEO John G. Russell
John G. Russell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work flexibility, overall balanced work life balance culture (in 13 reviews)

• One of few true Career Companies left--provide good training for job skills needed--promotes from within good pay/benefit package (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Nothing beyond work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• They fire the majority of people they hire in the call center (in 6 reviews)

"Manager"

I worked at Consumers Energy full-time

Pros

Good benefits, good work-life balance.

Cons

Work not challenging enough. Difficult to get promoted due to limited opportunities.

2. "Well balanced company with plenty of opportunities for growth"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Analyst in Jackson, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Analyst in Jackson, MI

I have been working at Consumers Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very professional atmosphere and professional co-workers. Most managers are well concerned with their employees and encourage their employees to keep growing personally and professionally. Most departments encourage and support a healthy work-life balance as well as promoting volunteerism. Good benefit options. Honestly the best big company I've worked for.

Cons

Like any big company, some things move slow. They tend to go through a major re-organization every few years which can be a pain, but sometimes it provides extra opportunities to move around for those who like to keep moving so things don't get stale. They are susceptible to cost cutting during warm winters and cool summers, but they take pride in the fact that layoffs are extremely rare.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to rip the band-aid off when things aren't working. The current re-org they are going through is making strides towards that principle.

"N/A"

I have been working at Consumers Energy full-time

Pros

Well paid with decent benefits

Cons

Not treated well. Micro managed and theres a lot of confusion.

Advice to Management

Reduce layers of management and allow local leadership the opportunity to operate each headquarters based on their specific needs.

"You can't teach old dog new trick"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jackson, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jackson, MI

I have been working at Consumers Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Management has rolled out a continuous improvement initiative across the organization. This initiative is a mirror of Toyota Lean principles and was embraced by the management and is currently being waterfalled within the organization.

The issue is there is a number of employees who find it hard to adapt to change and even so - to document and focus on the issues or problems especially when they are essentially the root of the issue. Even loud and brave enough to say that "we are not TOYOTA and we have always done it this way!"

Cons

Appalled by some of the old employees thinking who are either so afraid to work on the issues as they are the obviously the part of the problem and just so idiotic to deny the inevitable.

Need to get rid of the kool-aid mentality.

"Retired after 40 years of service."

Former Employee - Service Tech in Howell, MI
    Former Employee - Service Tech in Howell, MI

I worked at Consumers Energy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay was excellent. I worked tons of overtime from age 18 to age 60. The pension was a big plus. I could not have retired without it.

Cons

Forced on call. Not enough workers. Company can force employees to work overtime. If they refuse they can be terminated. Company eliminated generous pension plan in 2003 to all newly hired employees.

Advice to Management

Hire more people.

6. "Mechanical Engineer"

Pros

Helpful Team; Ability to learn from professionals; Company willing to invest in you

Cons

Too many processes as it being a big company

Advice to Management

I've found it be a good company to work for and no complaints so far

7. "Great Place To Work"

I worked at Consumers Energy full-time

Pros

Awesome management, great benefits/salary and room for advancement. There is also a sense of family among the employees.

Cons

Many jobs are being outsourced, in a temporary transitioning stage last time I was there.

8. "Consumers Energy IT Technical Analyst II"

Current Employee - Technical Analyst II in Jackson, MI
    Current Employee - Technical Analyst II in Jackson, MI

I have been working at Consumers Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work flexibility, overall balanced work life balance culture

Cons

Very senior staff population, advancement constrained by years of service

"Anonymous because I'm afraid I'll loose my job"

I have been working at Consumers Energy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay (for some) benefits and perks (if you're of the privileged to use them)

Cons

Too many to list! (See my brutely honest opinion below)

Advice to Management

Extreme favoritism, nepotism, hostile work environment, antagonistic and bullying management, many employees lack software application knowledge to do their jobs (so they pass the buck) they also like to cut jobs and give the work to other employee's (doesn't matter how full your plate is) they discipline who they want, the union rules the business - plain and simple (the company is afraid of them) it is definitely who you know and those folks are the ones who get ahead, make the money and call the shots. The company is super focused on hiring from diversity pools, so much in fact that even if that person is incompetent to do their job (it doesn't matter!) They have quotas to fill and pride themselves for publicity sake. Human Resources is a joke! And so is their Compliance (Ethics) department. To date they have many "unsubstantiated" complaints that likely should have been turned over to the EEOC for a real investigation! However, many complaints are dropped after they've completed their so called investigations. Why? The employee's filing the complaints were likely telling the truth and many likely have proof but the company can't afford to let go of the bad apples so they keep them and employee's are forced to work in environments that only continue to foster more issues (because they fail to address the real problems) don't get me wrong the company likes to pretend they care by sending out lot's and lot's of anonymous survey's that they use to build action plans and empty promisses to make Consumer's a better place to work (yea right!) I voiced my honest opinion on an anonymous survey once and soon after was force fed one their computer based training module's (in an attempt to brain wash my illogical thinking) of what really goes on at this company. Um, hello... I work there and see exactly what goes on day in/day out so you can't budge this mindset. I've read many other's postings on this site and it's obvious that I'm not alone in my thoughts!

My advice to the company is get it together and start aligning yourselves with the Federal laws (EEOC) that govern our nation. Now I understand the company doesn't want their employees to know in depth about the EEOC otherwise that could cripple Consumer's Energy. But I'm not afraid to share that info because it's the law for every working man and woman.

My advice to the rest of the folks out there reading this, jump on the EEOC's website and educate yourselves with Discrimination by type and their Complaint process. Spend some time in the Newsroom familiarizing yourselves with real life case examples. You will be surprised to learn you likely have suffered similar experiences. You do have employee rights (contract or non-contract) doesn't matter and don't let the companies big wallet scare tactic worry you. There's power in numbers and they can't operate the place without us.

"call center"

I have been working at Consumers Energy full-time

Pros

great insurance, flexible hours, promotions always available.

Cons

long hours during storms that you must work.