Contently Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Joe Coleman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great experience and place to grow a career"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Contently full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Contently is a great place to work. The people and culture are what have led to the success/growth over the past few years. This is a company where you'll wear a lot of different hats, be challenged to think outside of the box, interact with many different departments, and ultimately grow your career. No two days are the same and if you're interested in learning on the fly - this is a great spot for you.

Upper management is helpful, supportive, and always interested in everyone's success. I worked at Contently for 4 years and highly recommend it to all potential employees.

Cons

Due to being a high-growth startup, the direction the company is heading is not always clear. If you're not open to continuous change, then this probably isn't the best place for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire people that maintain the great culture built over the past few years. Communicate with employees regularly about the decisions being made. Encourage more cross-department alignment.

2. "Great Place to Grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Contently full-time

Pros

I've worked at Contently for a few years now and the company has changed a lot, I would say for the better. Contently has grown up so much. The company has hired more experienced leadership and put more structure into how teams are run, while keeping a fun and collaborative work environment. It has been great to see a lot of my coworkers grow with the company, often resulting in promotions, or the opportunity for them to switch to a completely different role. I genuinely feel like I learn something new at work everyday and enjoy working with my coworkers.

Cons

Contently isn't perfect, and management didn't handle every change over the past few years perfectly. I think overall they've improved the way they communicate and how they handle challenging situations a lot.

Advice to Management

Keep being open and honest. Continue to hire and promote the right people for open roles so everyone at the company can grow.

"Great opportunities, room for growth"

I worked at Contently full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, some real talent.

Cons

Leadership can be a confusing mess.

Advice to Management

Listen and adapt to suggestions.

4. "Not a Good Place to Work."

I worked at Contently full-time

Pros

It's dog-friendly. They have free organic healthy fancy snacks and drinks, etc. Some of the people are nice and genuinely try to help as much as their limitations and resources allow them.

Cons

Too many people who were peter principled into their roles at least one promotion ago. It's a very flimsy house of cards and many people would rather pass the buck than help do the work. This especially applies to Seniors and higher.

Advice to Management

It doesn't matter what anyone of us think. The bosses know exactly what they are doing - for better or for worse.

"Limping along"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Contently full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a few good journalists that work there. Most of the talented folks left already. Especially in sales and marketing. If you work in the Nyc office at least you can escape and go for a walk around SOHO.

Cons

It’s just a small failing company that will never amount to anything. The C level is atrocious. They have no experience scaling a company. So missteps and mistakes are a lot and often. The biggest issue I had was how they treat their people. They never hesitate to under pay and drive them into the dirt. It’s not a fulfilling place to work. All the good sales and service people left. If you truly care about your career, there’s no point of being here. When I see Contently on a resume I assume you had no other options and are just average. There’s so many exciting places to work, why kill your self for little pay and no enjoyment? It’s a shame to see you waste your valuable earning years and career there.
    Oh the office in NYC is gross. It’s a Petri dish and so disgusting. You can’t even turn a door bob with out getting sick.
    As far as the offering, it’s a very basic Technology and without services it doesn’t work. It’s a low margin business and it shows in the product. You are better off using a shared drive and finding some freelancers on your own. I have not seen impactful or value based customer engagements there.

Advice to Management

At one time I thought they were going to change. They had good sales leadership, marketing and development trying to crack the code. They all left and hired jokers with no experience so it’s a slow decline into the abyss. The only advice I’d give is find your life vest. Or find a new CEO, CTO and start over.

6. "Great people, tough market"

I have been working at Contently full-time

Pros

Contently has built a fantastic team and thrives on great company culture.

Cons

The content marketing technology industry is fickle. There are new competitors popping up on a weekly basis and budgets change just as frequently.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your employees and cultivate talent from within.

7. "Good company with growing pains"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Contently full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of smart, engaged employees. Internal politics are minimal.

Cons

The company feels disorganized at times due to lack of leadership/management. Corrective steps have been taken but there's more work to do.

"Really great place to work"

I have been working at Contently full-time

Pros

- Bright, ambitious, passionate group of people
    - Growth-oriented mindset, eager to help people develop in their careers
    - Many precedents for individuals being promoted, even into other departments
    - All the fun perks of a start-up
    - Not bro-ey
    - Great work/life balance

Cons

Company has experienced some growing pains. Some folks (particularly those on the ground) feel a bit slighted, as a new executive team has been built out over the last year and decisions are now being made at a higher level.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. You hired a bunch of great people at the top -- don't give in too much to gossip and rumor

"Nice people; chaotic pace"

I worked at Contently full-time

Pros

Nice people! Obligatory free snacks!

Cons

A lot of the client contracts aren't vetted properly. Sales closes the deal and then editors and strategists are supposed to execute no matter what. But sometimes that company isn't ready for content!

Work/life balance isn't great.

"Field Marketing & Events"

I have been working at Contently full-time

Pros

I love everything about working for this company. Everyone is passionate about what they do and about affecting the business bottom line.

Cons

The hours are long. You're expected to be at work even if you're off on vacation or sick.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.