Contently Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Joe Coleman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"The best place I ever worked"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Contently full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I spent over 4 years as a software engineer at Contently and watched it grow from ~30 to 100+ employees. During that time there was a lot of change as more experienced employees joined and management and processes matured. Contently has maintained a great culture that fosters creativity, ownership, and colleagues that are true friends. I had a great boss and mentor, was given autonomy and trust to completely change a lot of the technology, and maintained a top notch work life balance. Contently isn't the scrappy startup it once was, it's now mature and quite well run, but it still feels like a cozy family. I should also note that it's a dog friendly office which I love, is located in soho next to a million great lunch options, and maintains a great gender balance relative to other tech companies.

Cons

Revenue growth and thus company growth has been a challenge at times as the market it is in has been slow to adopt to new ways and prove ROI. This lead to some employee and leadership churn in the past (and probably some negative reviews). I think the market is finally maturing now so better times may be ahead but of course a maturing market may bring fresh competition. Because this is not an engineering led company, focus on product and engineering sometimes feels less like a priority than sales and marketing which means engineering and product leadership has suffered in the past.

Advice to Management

Do not forget to keep focus on the longer term product roadmap and limit any employee churn that would risk losing institutional knowledge. Sometimes these drivers of company growth get overlooked by short term focus on sales numbers.

"Great set-up for remote workers"

Former Employee - Managing Editor in Martinez, CA
    Former Employee - Managing Editor in Martinez, CA

I worked at Contently (More than 3 years)

Pros

Top clients, good in-house training for editors

Cons

Hard to get to know management in NYC

3. "Great Place to Grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Contently full-time

Pros

I've worked at Contently for a few years now and the company has changed a lot, I would say for the better. Contently has grown up so much. The company has hired more experienced leadership and put more structure into how teams are run, while keeping a fun and collaborative work environment. It has been great to see a lot of my coworkers grow with the company, often resulting in promotions, or the opportunity for them to switch to a completely different role. I genuinely feel like I learn something new at work everyday and enjoy working with my coworkers.

Cons

Contently isn't perfect, and management didn't handle every change over the past few years perfectly. I think overall they've improved the way they communicate and how they handle challenging situations a lot.

Advice to Management

Keep being open and honest. Continue to hire and promote the right people for open roles so everyone at the company can grow.

4. "Great experience and place to grow a career"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Contently full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Contently is a great place to work. The people and culture are what have led to the success/growth over the past few years. This is a company where you'll wear a lot of different hats, be challenged to think outside of the box, interact with many different departments, and ultimately grow your career. No two days are the same and if you're interested in learning on the fly - this is a great spot for you.

Upper management is helpful, supportive, and always interested in everyone's success. I worked at Contently for 4 years and highly recommend it to all potential employees.

Cons

Due to being a high-growth startup, the direction the company is heading is not always clear. If you're not open to continuous change, then this probably isn't the best place for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire people that maintain the great culture built over the past few years. Communicate with employees regularly about the decisions being made. Encourage more cross-department alignment.

5. "Not a Good Place to Work."

I worked at Contently full-time

Pros

It's dog-friendly. They have free organic healthy fancy snacks and drinks, etc. Some of the people are nice and genuinely try to help as much as their limitations and resources allow them.

Cons

Too many people who were peter principled into their roles at least one promotion ago. It's a very flimsy house of cards and many people would rather pass the buck than help do the work. This especially applies to Seniors and higher.

Advice to Management

It doesn't matter what anyone of us think. The bosses know exactly what they are doing - for better or for worse.

"Great opportunities, room for growth"

I worked at Contently full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, some real talent.

Cons

Leadership can be a confusing mess.

Advice to Management

Listen and adapt to suggestions.

"Limping along"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Contently full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a few good journalists that work there. Most of the talented folks left already. Especially in sales and marketing. If you work in the Nyc office at least you can escape and go for a walk around SOHO.

Cons

It’s just a small failing company that will never amount to anything. The C level is atrocious. They have no experience scaling a company. So missteps and mistakes are a lot and often. The biggest issue I had was how they treat their people. They never hesitate to under pay and drive them into the dirt. It’s not a fulfilling place to work. All the good sales and service people left. If you truly care about your career, there’s no point of being here. When I see Contently on a resume I assume you had no other options and are just average. There’s so many exciting places to work, why kill your self for little pay and no enjoyment? It’s a shame to see you waste your valuable earning years and career there.
    Oh the office in NYC is gross. It’s a Petri dish and so disgusting. You can’t even turn a door bob with out getting sick.
    As far as the offering, it’s a very basic Technology and without services it doesn’t work. It’s a low margin business and it shows in the product. You are better off using a shared drive and finding some freelancers on your own. I have not seen impactful or value based customer engagements there.

Advice to Management

At one time I thought they were going to change. They had good sales leadership, marketing and development trying to crack the code. They all left and hired jokers with no experience so it’s a slow decline into the abyss. The only advice I’d give is find your life vest. Or find a new CEO, CTO and start over.

8. "Great people, tough market"

I have been working at Contently full-time

Pros

Contently has built a fantastic team and thrives on great company culture.

Cons

The content marketing technology industry is fickle. There are new competitors popping up on a weekly basis and budgets change just as frequently.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your employees and cultivate talent from within.

"Really great place to work"

I have been working at Contently full-time

Pros

- Bright, ambitious, passionate group of people
    - Growth-oriented mindset, eager to help people develop in their careers
    - Many precedents for individuals being promoted, even into other departments
    - All the fun perks of a start-up
    - Not bro-ey
    - Great work/life balance

Cons

Company has experienced some growing pains. Some folks (particularly those on the ground) feel a bit slighted, as a new executive team has been built out over the last year and decisions are now being made at a higher level.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. You hired a bunch of great people at the top -- don't give in too much to gossip and rumor

10. "Good company with growing pains"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Contently full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of smart, engaged employees. Internal politics are minimal.

Cons

The company feels disorganized at times due to lack of leadership/management. Corrective steps have been taken but there's more work to do.