Cooper Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Cooper is awesome!"

Former Employee - Managing Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Managing Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Cooper full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing Culture. Talented teams. Many opportunities to learn on the job.

Cons

Because of the size of the company, there are few executive career paths.

"A unique, special place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Cooper full-time

Pros

I joined Cooper along with my colleagues when they merged with our NYC company. As I got to know the company, the people, the work, and the culture, I was consistently amazed at their focus on quality and integrity. The Cooperistas are an amazing bunch - brilliant, creative, warm, and always up for some silly fun. Plus the firm's reputation in the industry is stellar - so clients come to us already psyched to partner. Cooper is a place for young designers to learn from the best and for more senior people to participate in and innovate the practice of design at the highest levels. There are not many design consultancies that can offer the same caliber of experience.

Cons

Only the typical difficulties of working at a small consultancy: some unclear corporate policies (although this is getting better), not as much transparency into the state of the business as you might get at a larger firm, the occasional challenging client...

"Wonderful place, great people!"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cooper full-time

Pros

I really enjoy working for Cooper. I came to Cooper from a large, bureaucratic, slow-moving government organization and was seeking something different. In particular, I was craving an environment with colleagues who motivate me; with people who are creative, hard-working, and mission-driven. I found exactly this at Cooper. People at Cooper are passionate about design, our tools, and our company. They are also highly authentic and empathetic. They are leaders in the field to boot. The work we do is extremely varied and interesting. Another note is that the merger with Catalyst in NY has gone very smoothly. Our colleagues there are wonderful! Cooper is easily the best place I've worked.

Cons

As a UX design firm, we are always seeking the best interfaces/technological tools. That said, we could probably reduce the number of tools we use.

"Pioneering and cutting edge"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Cooper (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best--maybe the only--place to build your talents and career as an interaction designer. Great people, great projects, great prospects.

Cons

Well, it's a job, so you have to work. Other than that...

5. "50/50"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Cooper (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people and extremely smart folks to work with. Great benefits and work environment.

Cons

Non-designers are valued as highly as designers. Planned career development not readily available.

6. "A great place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Interaction Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Interaction Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Cooper full-time

Pros

Cooper is a company where smart, creative people come together to practice their craft, learn from each other, and have a good time doing it. The environment is laid back, open and fun, with challenging projects and openness to always trying new things. Lots of personal support to grow, take on new challenges, and pursue what you're passionate about, and if you're into education, the chance to take and teach CooperU classes. There's a solid work-life balance. It's a great place to learn and grow.

Cons

The perks/benefits are behind other Bay area companies, and the way projects are structured, it can be challenging for designers to get a break for vacation. It can be hard to know where you can grow to as it's a pretty flat company, and they seem to be slow at promoting designers into directorship positions. They need some new thinking and fresh blood at this level.

Advice to Management

Increase company transparency and benefits. Promote younger designers into new positions. Make career opportunities more clear and supportive to get there.

7. "Great Small Studio of the Highest Intregity"

Former Employee - Interaction Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Interaction Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Cooper full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dedicated to great, quality design research and advocating for the end user. Work there for a couple years to gain the experience.

Cons

Run more like a family than a business. Low ceiling.

"Burnout central"

I worked at Cooper full-time

Pros

Amazing perks, great people, pretty laid-back environment. You'll learn a lot working here. Great social scene - lots of parties and events. Personal needs and interests are supported - there's not really work-life balance, but you're allowed to have a life. Designers learn more about the industry here than just about anywhere else.

Cons

They work hard to make up for shortcomings, but rather than trying to resolve problems, they try to compensate for them through perks and parties.
    Huge division between design staff and "support" staff in terms of salary, flexibility, overall treatment, and morale.
    Average employee stays for two years or so before getting burnt out - everyone is overworked.
    All employees are expected to actively support sales, and there's no boundary between your personal social media presence and your sales presence.
    Management does not approach issues directly; major office culture of gossip and avoidance that starts at the top. Highly political environment that tries to be laid-back but ends up lacking in boundaries.

Advice to Management

Re-prioritize some things. Pay attention to why people are leaving the company.

9. "Great Culture and currently growing"

Current Employee - Senior Designer in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cooper full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and momentum right now as the company is growing. The leadership is solid - but would love to see some younger people promoted to director levels.

Cons

Some of the projects are agency style / production work. The perks / benefits dont equal other bay area companies/startups. Training opportunities only kick in after 1 year of employment.

Advice to Management

Promote some of the younger designers and bring in fresh perspectives

10. "Cooper is Wonderful!"

I worked at Cooper full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cooper's culture makes it the most wonderful environment in which I've worked. Everyone shares tips and helps their colleagues level up their practice. The environment feels like a family. There's laughing and conversation between highly productive sprints and everyone brings a unique, upbeat flavor to the mix.

Cons

It's hard to advance as a non-designer inside a design consultancy.