CoreSite Reviews | Glassdoor

Paul E. Szurek

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A good workplace"

I have been working at CoreSite full-time

Pros

-CoreSite as a company is a family, when big events happen around the company, colleagues from different regions are willing to reach out and pledge their support.
    -Company loves to celebrate and praise every victory, big or small.
    -Great culture, everyone from Top to Bottom is approachable
    -Commuting expenses paid for

Cons

-More work with less people, employees tend to have more responsibilities than they should for their positions.
    - Lack of technical training.

Advice to Management

Provide more technical training for your employees, employee development is essential to retaining employees and being expected to just research and learn things on your own feels like a really tall task. If employees are expected to receive certifications and qualifications, they need to be given the means to do so. I don't want this to come off as negative because the pros do outweigh the cons, just some areas I wish would be improved upon.

2. "Great company and workplace"

Current Employee - IT Infrastructure in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - IT Infrastructure in Denver, CO

I have been working at CoreSite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great stable company and a pleasant workplace. Good budgeting so we are able to improve the environment. Good perks, good work life balance and pay. Opportunity to learn and grow. Paid parking. Team building lunches.

Cons

None at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

3. "Standard perks PTO and medical coverage."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at CoreSite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid time off increases after number of years worked. The incentive payouts were not bad at all.

Cons

Mandatory scheduling to cover other employee PTO. Revolving door of employee layoffs or those looking for better opportunity.

"Constant management changes"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at CoreSite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

pay was ok but still below the Northern Virginia market

Cons

Constant management changes, Reactive instead of Proactive, constant changes in the way facilities operated

Advice to Management

Stay local and don't recruit from out of state and be much more upfront to a possible new employee

5. "Sales"

I have been working at CoreSite full-time

Pros

fast-paced, friendly environment with good culture

Cons

Pay scale is not competitive in market.

6. "Great company, fair pay, and good work/ life balance"

I have been working at CoreSite full-time

Pros

Feels like family. Company is tight knit, managers are fair, and it is in a fast growing segment.

Cons

Benefits are dated (low 401k matching, zero maternity leave, etc). Company is very conservative in culture, strategy, etc.

Advice to Management

We seem to be coasting on previous entrepreneurship, vision, and risk-taking that built the company, but for whatever reason the company appears to be afraid to continue to take any risks moving forward.

7. "Growth & Opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at CoreSite (More than a year)

Pros

-CoreSite and the data center REIT industry have had amazing returns over the past few years.

-CoreSite in runs very lean, less bureaucracy.

-Successful/motivated employees are recognized and fast tracked into management positions or are allowed switch departments into a more desirable role.

-Young and positive company mindset with little micromanagement.

-Benefits are decent
    -Pay for non sales related jobs is okay.
    -Excellent compensation in sales.
    -Office space and location are nice.

Cons

Very few,

-Out of the leading data center REITS, CoreSite is the only one that does not have an international presence. This isn't a terrible con, but something that leaves to be desired for some employees.

-minor office politics, but this is really expected at any corporation.

Advice to Management

-Management runs well overall, not sure why other reviews are so critical. The company experienced excellent growth under Tom Ray.

-There could be more communication between HQ in Denver and the field locations around the country. A lot of us in Denver have no idea what is going on at the sites.

-There could be more diversity in skill sets across the board. Not everyone has to come from the same industry background to be successful.

8. "Security Officer"

Pros

To work for a company who values their employees as they do their customers ,reflects in the actions of each officer here at CoreSite and is unlike any other organization in the Data Center Community. Without even being a member of Core site for 30 days I see the Team work in making sure each customers needs are met and the security team ensuring Customer Service is our #1 goal daily.

Cons

Although I have been apart of Data Center Security for the past 13 years, I feel that the Security Department name should reflect their actual title , as we do more then just secure the facility. Otherwise I have no negative remarks.

Advice to Management

I would just say that I believe a title change would help those working in this field , feel more accomplished and give others something to work toward. For Example ; Being that everyone is called Security Officer there is no separation between each officer , their are offices that have been here since the start and their title should reflect that. Such as Lead Administrator Officer etc. When people apply for this job they may get the misunderstanding that its regular security work , which is the employees we don't want at Core site as they are coming from Contract security work and do not understand the amount work is put into working at a Data Center. Therefore changing the title to reflect the hard work and experience that is actually being conducted by your team would help cut down on turn over and almost guarantee you get more qualified candidates working for your company. I have come from working in contract security and in house security and have been able to see both sides. I feel that this is something to look at for the near future of your staff. As I was told that things will improve over the years for the Security Team ,this is a good intensive to show progress in that department. Thank you for your time.

9. "Great company, great culture!"

I have been working at CoreSite full-time

Pros

I have been lucky to have been a part of the CoreSite under Tom Ray's leadership which has been an amazing experience! Although Paul Szurek has huge shoes to fill, I feel that all CoreSite employees are excited for the new perspective and initiatives that Paul will bring. The strong culture has sustained the transition and CoreSite continues to be a great place to work!

Cons

Interdepartmental communication can be a challenge with changing priorities but has continued to improve with new Field Operations structure.

Advice to Management

There is a strong leadership team and the only advice would be to ensure any pertinent information is communicated to necessary employee groups.

"Jumbled, Insincere, Feeble"

Pros

Good industry experience and market, some great people come through the company.

Cons

Simple, Honest, Strong.....more like Jumbled, Insincere, Feeble. Yes I used a thesaurus for that but when it comes to culture at CoreSite there is a lot of talk about how important their values are. Speeches are given about being Simple, Honest, and Strong, emails are sent, meetings are had, but when it comes down to it no one in management really wants anyone to follow these edicts. Why? Because it means they then have to make difficult decisions and they would rather not be forced to have to take a stand for what they claim to believe in. Because of this, bad behavior is tolerated, great people leave the company, weak and politically minded "C" players are lauded as amazing and CoreSite continues to perform because of a great CEO and Board who've made great investments and decisions in a booming market.

Winter is coming for CoreSite, when the down cycle hits the data center market the true culture that is promoted within the company will rear it's ugly head. It is said that in romance and riches, fortune favors the bold. Well in the case of CoreSite unfortunately we are not bold enough to fight for our own declared values and although I love working here I'm afraid that when winter does come, the riches will be gone and we'll have too many warts for romance.

Advice to Management

“It takes two to speak the truth - one to speak and another to hear.”

Henry David Thoreau