Corptax Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
David Shea

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "flexibility, can work from home with approval from manager" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-life balance is very difficult" (in 9 reviews)

• "There are no cons I could think about" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Assistant"

I worked at Corptax full-time

Pros

The staff was wonderful to me.

Cons

I wish I could have stayed longer.

"Senior Management is a problem"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Corptax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The place has pretty good benefits to me because I came from a startup before this. Work from home is allowed anytime and without notice. If you're remote you can usually go to your kid's doctors appointments, etc without having to use PTO.

They have a great 401K match that is completely vested at all times. Health benefits are top notch too, with BCBS PPO. Chicago office and BG have free drinks.

Cons

- There is a set of 3 or 4 managers that run the development teams. They have recently implemented a set of lead developers that have further empowerment and control. This has lead to in my experience, severe micromanagement and a hostile work environment that has a culture of being a bully. I've never experienced the CTO being verbally aggressive to me.

Managers are not actual managers, like someone has said on here, they are just developers that work with product. If you're not a manager, you're probably not interacting with the Product team. This creates isolation for developers like me, who have the skills to interact with a diverse set of teams. Moreover, the CTO spends most of his time coding. This is okay for an early stage startup, but with a company of 300+ employees, I can imagine his time is better spent on Culture, and Management tasks and incentives. Like others have said on here, turnover is very high, and after having a bad experience, I understand why. For me, it's the mismanagement that led to the "bad taste in my mouth".

Advice to Management

I would suggest to the CEO/President, that you need to reevaluate your involvement in the CTO's group, and perhaps try to understand that a CTO should not be spending a majority of their time writing code. The CTO sets the entire culture for the tech group.

3. "Nothing but good things"

I have been working at Corptax full-time

Pros

Great benefits, fun enivroment, work from home,

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Nothing quite like it"

I worked at Corptax full-time

Pros

Pay is above average. Technology is current

Cons

Aggressive, verbally abusive, angry, profanity yelling CTO. I have never, in my many years in the work force, seen anyone speak to people the way he does.
    "Stop talking, you're opinion doesn't matter." That's what he said to a manager in another department.

I spoke to my director about abusive interactions I had with the CTO and was told if I couldn't handle it I should leave because he wasn't going anywhere. I was also actively discouraged from going to HR asking it would be a career limiting move.

His results are impressive:
    - VP of Development quit without notice
    - Director level manager quit without notice
    - Manager fired after he told CTO to grow up and hung up (in response to a profanity laced tirade)

These are only the 3 I personally witnessed and know the details of.

Work/Life balance is abysmal. Release dates were for several years were always missed by months. This lead to a perpetual all-hands-on-deck. Weekends and 12 hour days were the norm.

They purport to use SCRUM/Agile methodology. If you're a scrum master - run. I called it scrumfall. Task points were meaningless. We had burn up, not down. The CTO actively wrote code and his tasks didn't follow any process. Most of the scrum masters eventually quit.

Advice to Management

The CTO is not irreplaceable. You can succeed without him. Same with his mini me.

"Developer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deerfield, IL

I worked at Corptax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New Microsoft technologies, WFH and no other pros

Cons

Read all reviews, the management is horrible. I don’t know why the company is still protecting the two people who are very rude to the development team. If you want a work sponsorship, it’s a great place.

Advice to Management

Please read all reviews and do a org restructure

6. "Database Developer"

I have been working at Corptax full-time

Pros

Flexible Environment, Lots to Learn and Nice People to work with!

Cons

There are no cons I could think about!

"if you want to start appreciate your current employer go to corptax IT"

I worked at Corptax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

after corptax you will look at your former managers diffrently

Cons

CTO and the guy below him who tries to be his replica created hostile work environment where everyone can be the next scapegoat.

"IT is a very stressful & hostile work environment"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Buffalo Grove, IL

I worked at Corptax full-time

Pros

Flexible Work from Home. Good 401K . MSDN subscription. The cons far outweigh the pros.

Cons

Read through the negative reviews here, they are spot on. The only positive reviews in Development/IT are from the managers who are trying to increase the glassdoor rating to attract developers.
    The turnover rate is so high, that you will only find two types of people in this company. The management who has been around for 20+ years, and those that recently joined the company. The only others are a handful who are trapped on a visa and have no option but to stay put.

This company runs like a start-up. No planning, waterfall model development, and complete lack of any requirements, documentation of code, area or process. The only means you have of learning about the product/code are by talking to the managers and they don't have time for you.

Managers/directors are not managers, just senior developers who have been with the company for decades and have been given the title so they don't leave. They have an entitled attitude, are occasionally very rude and you will regularly hear them use offensive language towards employees in the office.

Now, as a developer, your opinion is not valued or cared about here. There is no career progression. Management remains management and you will remain a worker cleaning up after them. Interacting and communicating with other departments is not encouraged either. You are basically to shut up and do what you are asked. Releases stretch on for months and developers/QAs are asked to work weekends for months at a time with no end in sight.

Work-life balance is very difficult. Once you join, management pretty much treats you like they own you. If you voice your opinion about changes in process or improvement, you will be looked down on, the environment will become hostile to you and you will eventually be sidelined or fired.

Advice to Management

Get actual managers who care about employees, retaining them, growing the company, meeting deadlines and delivering good quality products.
    Unless you make drastic changes and get actual managers, this place will sink in a few years.
    If you need proof, every release in the last year has been months late. Because of mismanagement.
    No developers stick around here except the ones on visa, because everyone is overworked and under a lot of pressure. Look at the turnover rate.
    The quality of product keeps going down, you can tell by the increasing number of hot-fixes every release.

If you still don't see a problem then I can't help you.

9. "Great learning environment"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Corptax (Less than a year)

Pros

Great learning environment for entry level to managers

Cons

Frequent out of state Travels

"Carefully read the other reviews"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo Grove, IL

I have been working at Corptax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

401K, insurance packages, and work from home benefits are nice - these are an attempt to make up for the many cons

Cons

As stated above, read the other reviews for how IT works. They are accurate.

Advice to Management

The morale is low and it’s only getting lower. Everyone is overworked and has been under release pressure for almost a year. Recognize that the problems aren’t coming from the lower levels of the company, they’re coming from you.