Corptax Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David Shea

Pros
  • Ability to touch latest technology (in 9 reviews)

• Great benefits and work from home flexibility (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Maintaining work life balance can become tricky sometimes as the Director will say ' You can't even do this - who hired you (in 8 reviews)

• no company will reward those that don't succeed (in 2 reviews)

1. "Work Culture and technology"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Corptax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- 401k match is good
    - Helpful higher management
    - Flexible working hours
    - Young and lively environment
    - Latest Technology to work with
    - Employees believe in getting the work done than just waiting/ hanging around
    - Fast paced
    - Great benefits

Cons

No Cons as of now

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Corptax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loyal clients
    Good products
    IT, Legal, Prof Service, Marketing, Learning. are all smart and great folks to work with.
    Benefits are decent

Cons

Cliquish atmosphere.
    Unpolished and non-strategic management
    Lack the right management to help inspire, provide direction and sense of partnership towards your success. Uninspiring and exclusive which = low moral.

Advice to Management

Management redo with management that has skills and experience to lead a team.

"Management is a VERY big issue"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Corptax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home flexibility
    Benefits
    Pay (although it's because the turn around is bad)

Cons

Let me preface by saying most of the new-ish employees are great. The bigger issues fall within how veteran managament runs things.
    Before starting my list of cons I really, really, really want to emphasis this:
    If you are interviewing for the job, get the names of the three plus managers that you are speaking with and write them down.

With the names of those three plus managers, I highly suggest calling up other recruiters and:
    1) Ask them about Corptax
    2) Ask them about the names that you just wrote down.

These recruiters will likely:
    1) Tell you about the managers you just wrote down and corroborate this review (I've spoken to multiple recruiters when I left, and they mentioned my manager by name, without me sayihng it).
    2) Find you a better job somewhere else

You will have to work with these managers regularly. Especially during 2a and 2d (described later) which are very uncomfortable processes that you won't have to endure at almost any other company.

Now, the list of cons:
    1) Corptax does not follow agile practices. It is 100% waterfall.
    2) For the design review (which are done before every new assignment you begin). Your input is nearly irrelevant . Here are the basic design review steps:
    2a) You, about 4 managers, the CTO, and 3-5 others (these people are much more tolerable) will ask you how you plan on solving a code related task.
     2b) You'll be optimistic that this should be in and out in 30 minutes every time. This will end up being 1-4 hours of them telling you why your implementation is wrong, and will tell you what you should really do.
    2c) They will want you to copy-paste functionality from another part of site that you weren't aware of because the site is huge.
     2d) They will make you write in implementation that basically follows the above implementation line by line. (I've spoken to a managerial candidate that denied Corptax's job offer after being told this was the company policy)
    3) Every time you check-in code, you'll first do a code review (which is fine), but they will reject a code review because of 2a and 2d. They are not interested in your coding style. They want you to follow what already exists.
    4) The company runs off of one main build that 50+ people are checking-in and out. If you break the build, your instinct to run and hide, because management will be looking for you. Instead, you better fix it quickly.
    5) Unit testing practices are very poor. Happy path is mostly being done. Sure, basic MVC functionality doesn't need testing, but it's bad here. The following statement is something to note, but isn't necessarily a con: TDD is not implemented

Not necessarily a list of cons, but things to know that are concerning depending on what you want to do as a developer:
    6)Corptax does not write stored procedures. If you wanted some SQL experience, or to work with DB, you are out of luck. There is a policy of auto-generated code to work with the DB. This policy is attached to 2A and 2D above.
    7) Corptax's front end JS is a disaster (if you want to make it better, maybe that's good though). Typescript is being implemented recently, but honestly, it would be better to build out a React or Angular framework. For how much management wants to use the latest and greatest technology, I'd really expect them to build out a solution that uses one of those two. Pure JS and cshtml is old fashioned.
    8) The Deerfield/Buffalo Grove office is known for being a truly terrible, soul sucking place. Management has joked that they only expect to hear the noise of typing at that office, but that sentiment is very real.
    9) Speaking to the CTO over the phone is one of the worst experiences you can will endure during your job (also related to 2a above), but in person he's pleasant. Unfortunately, he is 100% remote. So unless he's visiting an office, all communication is via telephone.
    10) All releases are late. Nothing is on time, and if management isn't aware of how off their release cycles are, then they're truly fools. Still many managers act like the "deadline" is serious and treat it that way.
    11) Many of the positive reviews come from workers that are on Visas and are trapped because of the nature of Visas.

Advice to Management

1) Allow the implementation of Agile
    2) Move front-end to React/Angular. Build out good libraries. Your JS is terrible and you should feel terrible.
    3) Allow developers to develop in a good way. Of course code reviews and good code is great, but allow developers the freedom to develop their way. Both of those things should be simultaneously attainable.
    4) Put out a realistic release cycle. If every release is 3 months behind, it isn't because of testers nor developers. It's because of unrealistic expectations that you've made.

4. "Ok company"

Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Corptax full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary is the only reason why you would want to work there.Unpleasant work atmosphere.

Cons

Racist employees at every level of management.Too much work pressure.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone equally and stop being partial.

"Great company days are all in the past"

Former Employee - Programmer in Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Programmer in Deerfield, IL

I worked at Corptax full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Descent salary, OK benefits. Ability to touch latest technology. Flexible work hours, ability to work from home a day or two a week.

Cons

Micromanagement, anger from upper managers, lot of pressure. Poor work-life balance. Expect to get manager call at weekends.

Advice to Management

Change your attitude and respect that people that doing that job for you.

"not that great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deerfield, IL

Pros

decent place to work as the managers are flexible with schedule

Cons

raises are a complete joke

"Great place to challenge yourself and grow"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at Corptax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work on the the latest technologies. Learn from some very talented and passionate team members. Great benefits and work from home flexibility. Great place to challenge yourself, improve your development skills, and learn new things every day. Opportunities for career growth. Awesome development machines and MSDN ultimate subscription for every dev. Performance is recognized and rewarded.

Cons

None. One of the greatest career moves I made was joining this company.

"Very Negative Work Environment"

Former Employee - Project Management Lead in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Project Management Lead in Chicago, IL

I worked at Corptax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is competitive. 3 weeks vacation. You can work remotely fairly often, so it's flexible.

Cons

I would never recommend working in the project management arena, especially in technology. The micro-management is brutal, and there's no opportunity for agile within the department. It's very command and control, do as I say. If you're looking for an opportunity to improve an organization, I wouldn't recommend this, because they are not willing to change. However, if you are someone who is ok being told exactly what to do every day, I think it would be a good fit.

Advice to Management

Make sure to talk to your managers and give them feedback before letting them go. Also, be more flexible with employees' personal lives, especially during release time.Some releases carry on for months, and the expectation should not be to work every night and weekend.

"This company needs real improvement"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Corptax (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a couple of good colleagues. I wish them my best.

Cons

Very primitive, rude development department which actually remembers you on a 3 world company. There is no written processes to guide the people in the company. This is actually not the norm in the software development. It's a shock to see that people working because of fear losing their job and not because of working ethic. We know that the fear leads to ineffective work and also untruths. Generally, every engineer needs to talk freely but this is no option in development department even it doesn't harm anybody. I have never seen people crying because of the humiliation at work which I did in this company. I wondered to see this but actually nobody in this organization really take note of it. There is no code of conduct that the employees (any kind) follow to keep the peace and level of civilization. You always running on a very thin boarder because of lack of clarity in processes and unwritten laws.

Advice to Management

Start to develop basic company process with process owner. Maybe at the beging is difficult but it gets easier after each period of improvement. A minimal design document is required it doesn't take too long ( shouldn't be a novel please don't start to compare with extremes). It leads to faster detecting the possible problems.Nobody wants to take responsibility because of the fear, cut the fear off. This is absolutely unnecessary for a company. if you have pointing system to value you employees, please show and discuss that before begin of employment and not after some years ( in some cases more that 20 years). This is not professional.

"Yikes!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at Corptax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good technology, cutting-edge on MS stack. There is a 20 word minimum for Pros, but that is all I can write.

Cons

To say you need a thick skin to survive on the product development side is an understatement. There are no company values at CorpTax and it shows. Everyone under management level is replaceable and is treated as such. There are no designers and the products are hideous. All employee surveys are reviewed by all management, so there is no meaningful truth in them. As for positive reviews on this site, they must be from the marketing/sales side of the house.
    Are you thinking about a career at CorpTax? Go for it. You have been warned.

Advice to Management

Everyone knows who has to go before this company can regain its soul. Until that happens, it isn't going to get better.