Counterpoint Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

"Great place to work for motivated individuals who are self-starters!"

Former Employee - Applications Consultant (Business Analyst) in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Applications Consultant (Business Analyst) in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Counterpoint Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great employees! I loved working with everyone in the LA office and I miss the day to day interactions with my co-workers. Always fun to share in the inside jokes and go to lunch with your direct managers.
    - Lots of Freedom. Being an App Consultant gives you the freedom to take charge and make an immediate impact. A lot of the negative reviews stem from past employees who were expecting to be told what to do. This is the place where people make things happen.
    - Interesting Work. The applications that you were on are interesting and complex. Every client does something slightly different so trying to figure out how to fit the square peg in the round hole makes coming to work in the morning a new adventure.
    - Great Leadership. It's fun knowing that the Lead Application Consultants are knowledgeable and are easy to work with
    - Dedicated Developers. They are based in the UK and are some of the best. They are hard working and they cut out all the fluff and get straight to the point.

Cons

-Poor Project Management. Counterpoint has struggled over the past year in hiring talented project managers. Right before I left, it appeared that things were starting to turn around but there is still a long way to go.
    - Process Confusion. At times, it is difficult for the consultant to know what to start work on because tasks have not been properly set up and signed off by the client. This is mostly due to poor Project Management.
    - No Requirements Tracking/Formalized Requirements Process - The consultant primarily create one-off specs for all change requests. These usually get the job done but because there is no system use cases or requirements tracking, certain changes happen without realizing the full system impact.

Advice to Management

- Hire better Project Managers or promote Senior App Consultants to Project Manager positions.
    - Train newly hired Project Managers through some sort of standardized new PM program. Could include overview of the system, expectations for the position, admin, reporting, etc.
    - Re-vamp the requirements project. I proposed a request to our internal system before I left so implementing something along those lines would go a long way towards helping future app consultants

"Worst Place I Have EVER worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Absolutely NONE. Don't waster your time here.

Cons

Proof of terrible management is in the extremely HIGH turnover. HIGH turnover.
    No training on systems
    Sent to 'demo' system to clients without any system training
    LONG LONG nights and comp time is not fair
    No work life balance
    Poor to no communication from management
    They will throw you under the bus to protect themselves. Watch your back.
    No one talks to one another.
    No collaboration.
    Very sad, depressing and quiet environment.
    No flextime. (very strict)
    Management gets away everything.

Advice to Management

Trust me, it's only a matter a time before it all implodes on management. With such high turnover and losing talent corp. will be asking why as it hits your bottom line.

"Employee Turnover Says it all"

I worked at Counterpoint Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting industry
    They "let me go" after 90 days (with all sorts of HR oriented, totally fabricated reasons) and I found the job of my dreams.
    Thanks for being a weird bunch of fickle jerks. Much appreciated.

Cons

Miserable People working for a Miserable company... a 19th century software company.
    I will say that most of the people I respected at all have left along with the people who were oddly entrenched although they seemed like they'd be capable outside this odd little island on the West Side...

The most horrible office atmosphere I've ever seen.
    In the interview executive management expressed how excited they were to have someone of my experience...
    And then I had to train myself on complex and sometimes convoluted software that I was expected to be able to "demo" after a week.
    Nuts.
    Employees that remain appear to be the super incompetent ones.

Advice to Management

None. They've all flown the coop. Good for you.

"Poorly Run Fiefdom"

Former Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

UK owned so occasional travel can be nifty. Software is conceptually innovative.

Cons

Company has been around for a long time... and really should be using more modern practices both in development, sales, support, and professional services.

Advice to Management

consider culturally coming out of the 80s... the salesforce is weak and lacks creativity. Consider developing a more flexible platform that doesn't handcuff customers into using professional services at every turn

"Horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Applications Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Applications Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Counterpoint Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Rights Management industry is interesting

Cons

Management treats employees in a very demeaning and unprofessional manner. There is no training on the products or services and professional development is non-existent; yet Management prefers to blame employees rather than coach. Turnover is close to 100% a year. Pay rates are below comparable jobs in other companies...I went 2 1/2 years without an increase.

Advice to Management

Hire a full time HR person and train the management team in how to manage professional level knowledge workers, or even better, replace the LA management with professionals in the industry.

"Not Worth The Time......"

Current Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

There are a few genuine people there. The location is good if it suits your commute. Rights and Royalties can be interesting.

Cons

No Work/ Life balance!! Small company environment in all the bad ways. The top level people in the LA office that should be there to help, are selfish, and snooty, and have no desire to help new, or old staff. They behave like divas; yes even the males; actually ESPECIALLY the males. The software is old and does not work. They don't truly care at all about the customers. They just care about closing the deal. Many of the customers are very unhappy, and some big named accounts have even pulled the plug. Upper management (Chicago folks) are arrogant, and phony. The work environment is like a morgue. There is zero energy in the room, (yes, it's basically one room, with a few offices and two small conference rooms). Talking is frowned upon, and the divas of the group complain if there is any energy because "It's always been a quiet office." Really one of the worst working experiences that I've had. That glowing review at the start was written by a management team member. DO NOT BE FOOLED. They can sell you during the interview process. Lastly; HUGE turnover. There is no room for advancement unless maybe you want to move to Chicago, or London. Great cities no doubt, but the LA office is a job to nowhere!! Not a stable place to be.

Advice to Management

I don't care enough about the company to give advice. They wouldn't listen anyway.

"sales"

I worked at Counterpoint Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

small company with friendly employees.

Cons

this company has a habit of firing people. in a short time I was employed there, they fired 5 people for no apparent reason. Turnover in this company is huge. No training is offered but expectations are huge.

Advice to Management

respect people for their time and dedication. Have integrity and take care of your staff. If a mistake is made, take that opportunity to teach your employee rather than firing them. This is not a way to run a business.

8. "Positive culture, great co-workers…"

I have been working at Counterpoint Systems full-time

Pros

As a global company, I’ve seen an investment in developing the capabilities of the leadership and professional staff. This has provided for increasing career opportunities within the company. The executive leadership and line managers demonstrate consistent thought and care for its employees – evidenced through pay and benefits; but more importantly through trust and delegation of authority and decision-making. Additionally, from the top-down, there’s a dedication to ensuring a healthy work/life balance.

Cons

Like any growing company, we experience the usual growth pains – such as identifying highly qualified individuals for our job openings. As a mid-sized organization, we compete with larger organizations for talent in a very competitive marketplace, which means we can’t always pay the big-ticket salaries offered by the bigger companies; yet, we manage to find highly intelligent, dedicated folks to join our team – it just takes time! Also, like any business dedicated to evolving to meet external and internal challenges, we experience our fair share of change from time-to-time – which in itself is a pro – but for some, change can be unsettling. Management recognizes this and is careful to lead and guide people through the change.

"Poor Management, Horrible Experience!"

Pros

As others have mentioned, there were some fun people here and the office atmosphere wasn't too bad.

Cons

1) Small company with clueless management, little direction and outdated software.
    2) Angry clients!! One would think that a SAAS company would have a heavy focus on client satisfaction......this place does not! Instead they undercut development work, barely perform QA and deliver a bug riddled release to the client. This are the conditions for a perfect storm!

10. "Good experience at a small and developing company."

Former Employee - Business Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in London, England (UK)

I worked at Counterpoint Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people, great customers, really good products to work with.

Cons

Can be a pain of a commute. Potential glass ceiling.