Cyrus Innovation Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Tami Reiss

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great company to work for"

Pros

Great co-workers, good work life balance, lots of learning

Cons

working at different customer sites can be a challenge at times

2. "Nice place to work at the time"

I worked at Cyrus Innovation full-time

Pros

* Lots of smart folks
    * A high commitment to agile/xp principles

Cons

* Leadership at the time didn't get along
    * Trouble focusing on a particular service

"New apprentice-- on-boarding & initial thoughts"

Current Employee - Apprentice Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Apprentice Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Cyrus Innovation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

--smooth and informative on-boarding process
    --quick responses from everyone on the team I've contacted
    --a culture that honestly values learning, collaboration, and best practices
    --Being an apprentice (part of the diversity apprenticeship program) has given me the chance to see and learn about tech environments in several different companies, which provides interesting and useful new perspectives. The best part, though, is having the opportunity to work with excellent, encouraging senior developers who truly care about crafting quality software and teaching best practices.

Cons

--As Cyrus is a consultancy and it's rare that developers are actually in/working from the main office, I imagine that it could sometimes feel isolating to work mainly apart from other Cyrusites. However, this hasn't been my experience at all as an apprentice, and Cyrus does a lot to facilitate collaboration among the team (such as monthly team days and weekly video conferences, as well as a mentorship program).

Advice to Management

--The more that I get involved in the tech world, the more I realize how crucial it is that places like Cyrus that value and encourage diversity in tech exist. I hope the company will continue with its efforts to change the status quo of some groups of people being marginalized in tech.

4. "Great place to learn."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Cyrus Innovation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always opportunities to learn.
    Work with very intelligent developers that care about the craft or programming.
    Invests in their employees with discretionary time and money budget for training & research.
    Use programming and agile skills to help clients produce valuable software.

Cons

Not enough face-time with Cyrus coworkers - can feel distant.

5. "Wonderful people, great company"

Current Employee - Chief of Staff in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Chief of Staff in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Cyrus Innovation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Tight-knit group of very smart, passionate, friendly people (debs and non-devs)
    - Culture allows everyone to have a voice and make an impact
    - Great work/life balance, 40-hour work weeks
    - Gender diversity in management team is unique and nice to see in tech industry
    - Professional development time and budget provided to everyone

Cons

- Distributed team can make it hard to connect at times

Advice to Management

- Continue listening to team and conducting retros on internal processes

Feb 3, 2016

So true about the distributed team, that's why we work hard to foster relationships.
    Read more here from one of our developers: http://www.cyrusinnovation.com/building-a-connected-distributed-team/... More

6. "Change in ownership"

Former Employee - Agile Software Engineer in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Agile Software Engineer in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Cyrus Innovation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Was a great place to work, lots of good engineering habits, good benefits etc.

Cons

The company changed hands and very close to 100% of the staff turned over. Have no idea what the company is like today.

Advice to Management

None. I don't know whats up.

Feb 3, 2016

Thanks for the review. Cyrus is still dedicated to good engineering habits and providing our team with good benefits (getting better every month we hope).
    You are correct that the vast majority of... More

7. "I love leading this company"

Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in New York, NY

I have been working at Cyrus Innovation (Less than a year)

Pros

Dedicated staff that loves learning and experimentation.
    Super smart developers that love to problem solve and get excited about new technologies.
    Everyone loves the challenge the status quo at our company, our clients, and with our team so that we can constantly be improving.

Cons

Team is small and distributed at clients which means that we have to work harder to see each other.

8. "Great work/life balance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Cyrus Innovation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I got the change to work with some smart, passionate developers.

Having an official Professional development budget was fantastic - time and money to experiment with new technologies and attend conferences.

Great work/life balance. Company meetings where they genuinely wanted to hear what employees had to say.

Cons

I received no training or guidance on how to be a consultant - I was just thrown into my first engagement by myself.

I had no manager and no guidance on performance. Nobody checked in to see if I was doing ok. As long as the client was happy with me everything was assumed to be fine.

Some of the engagements were not very interesting and didn't give me any scope to broaden my skills.

Advice to Management

Make sure consultants have at least some basic training before sending them out to an engagement. Don't put new consultants on solo engagements.

Jan 4, 2016

Thank you for this feedback. We're guessing that you weren't at Cyrus when I (Tami Reiss) joined as CEO. The items you mention were common themes before I started and I'm continuously working on... More

"A Supportive Growth Opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Cyrus Innovation full-time

Pros

Most of the other reviews for Cyrus are pretty old, and the company has changed a lot in that time.

Cyrus is a great software devshop built on a foundation of solid Agile software development principles. The company emphasizes employee growth through offering both time and money for personal development. The hiring process is rigorous, with a focus on finding bright and friendly people to join the team. Employees seek opportunities to share knowledge and resources to encourage growth in the team. Finally, the leadership team is invested in growing the company and the employees, seeking and using feedback through various channels.

Cons

The health insurance coverage is not the best. Cyrus helps offset that by offering a Health Reimbursement Account (HRA).
    Being embedded in a project team could be a challenge for some personality types or skill levels.

Advice to Management

I support the direction the company is moving in and the recent initiatives to help us get there. Keep up the great work!

"A good place if you fit in, a horrible place if you don't."

Former Employee - Developer
    Former Employee - Developer

I worked at Cyrus Innovation full-time

Pros

In Cyrus you are surrounded by people who are motivated and excited about what they are doing. The hire process was a very efficient approach -- I had an offer in my hand a week after I sent out my resume. I haven't experienced any deadlines and never felt overworked. The agile process was a nice change from a complete lack of setting goals in many other places.

Cons

Cyrus resembles a cult in many ways. You are expected to do things a certain way and you're expected to like it. Yes, you are welcome to express issues and concerns and you will be listened to, just be aware that if you happen to disagree with some generally accepted ideas and express what you feel, you may be on your way out. This may also happen if you don't constantly express enthusiasm and attempt to keep to yourself. I understand they want a tight group so that approach may make sense, however, this ends up creating a very closed-minded environment in regard to certain things. For example, you are expected to be paired 100% of the time, even if you are not good match with you pair or under circumstances when pairing just doesn't make sense. I'm not against paired programming in general, but there is certain logic behind it and there is no understanding of it at Cyrus. There are other things that are pretty difficult to understand and tolerate (refusal to use a debugger, etc) for someone who has been developing on his/her own for some years, which is probably why they like to hire very young people...
    I was initially inspired by the enthusiasm at Cyrus but after some time I had trouble telling whether the people are very talented or just very full of it. Either way they certainly don't lack in confidence whether it's backed up by competence or not.