Cyrus Innovation Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tami Reiss

"New apprentice-- on-boarding & initial thoughts"

Current Employee - Apprentice Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Apprentice Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Cyrus Innovation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

--smooth and informative on-boarding process
    --quick responses from everyone on the team I've contacted
    --a culture that honestly values learning, collaboration, and best practices
    --Being an apprentice (part of the diversity apprenticeship program) has given me the chance to see and learn about tech environments in several different companies, which provides interesting and useful new perspectives. The best part, though, is having the opportunity to work with excellent, encouraging senior developers who truly care about crafting quality software and teaching best practices.

Cons

--As Cyrus is a consultancy and it's rare that developers are actually in/working from the main office, I imagine that it could sometimes feel isolating to work mainly apart from other Cyrusites. However, this hasn't been my experience at all as an apprentice, and Cyrus does a lot to facilitate collaboration among the team (such as monthly team days and weekly video conferences, as well as a mentorship program).

Advice to Management

--The more that I get involved in the tech world, the more I realize how crucial it is that places like Cyrus that value and encourage diversity in tech exist. I hope the company will continue with its efforts to change the status quo of some groups of people being marginalized in tech.

2. "Wonderful people, great company"

Current Employee - Chief of Staff in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Chief of Staff in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Cyrus Innovation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Tight-knit group of very smart, passionate, friendly people (debs and non-devs)
    - Culture allows everyone to have a voice and make an impact
    - Great work/life balance, 40-hour work weeks
    - Gender diversity in management team is unique and nice to see in tech industry
    - Professional development time and budget provided to everyone

Cons

- Distributed team can make it hard to connect at times

Advice to Management

- Continue listening to team and conducting retros on internal processes

Feb 3, 2016

So true about the distributed team, that's why we work hard to foster relationships. Read more here from one of our developers: http://www.cyrusinnovation.com/building-a-connected-distributed-team/ ... More

3. "Change in ownership"

Former Employee - Agile Software Engineer in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Agile Software Engineer in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Cyrus Innovation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Was a great place to work, lots of good engineering habits, good benefits etc.

Cons

The company changed hands and very close to 100% of the staff turned over. Have no idea what the company is like today.

Advice to Management

None. I don't know whats up.

Feb 3, 2016

Thanks for the review. Cyrus is still dedicated to good engineering habits and providing our team with good benefits (getting better every month we hope). You are correct that the vast majority of ... More

5. "I love leading this company"

Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in New York, NY

I have been working at Cyrus Innovation (Less than a year)

Pros

Dedicated staff that loves learning and experimentation.
    Super smart developers that love to problem solve and get excited about new technologies.
    Everyone loves the challenge the status quo at our company, our clients, and with our team so that we can constantly be improving.

Cons

Team is small and distributed at clients which means that we have to work harder to see each other.

6. "Great work/life balance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Cyrus Innovation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I got the change to work with some smart, passionate developers.

Having an official Professional development budget was fantastic - time and money to experiment with new technologies and attend conferences.

Great work/life balance. Company meetings where they genuinely wanted to hear what employees had to say.

Cons

I received no training or guidance on how to be a consultant - I was just thrown into my first engagement by myself.

I had no manager and no guidance on performance. Nobody checked in to see if I was doing ok. As long as the client was happy with me everything was assumed to be fine.

Some of the engagements were not very interesting and didn't give me any scope to broaden my skills.

Advice to Management

Make sure consultants have at least some basic training before sending them out to an engagement. Don't put new consultants on solo engagements.

Jan 4, 2016

Thank you for this feedback. We're guessing that you weren't at Cyrus when I (Tami Reiss) joined as CEO. The items you mention were common themes before I started and I'm continuously working on ... More

"A Supportive Growth Opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Cyrus Innovation full-time

Pros

Most of the other reviews for Cyrus are pretty old, and the company has changed a lot in that time.

Cyrus is a great software devshop built on a foundation of solid Agile software development principles. The company emphasizes employee growth through offering both time and money for personal development. The hiring process is rigorous, with a focus on finding bright and friendly people to join the team. Employees seek opportunities to share knowledge and resources to encourage growth in the team. Finally, the leadership team is invested in growing the company and the employees, seeking and using feedback through various channels.

Cons

The health insurance coverage is not the best. Cyrus helps offset that by offering a Health Reimbursement Account (HRA).
    Being embedded in a project team could be a challenge for some personality types or skill levels.

Advice to Management

I support the direction the company is moving in and the recent initiatives to help us get there. Keep up the great work!

8. "Great XP environment"

Current Employee - Developer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Developer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cyrus Innovation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The paid professional development time and budget are great. I love being able to go to conferences and work on pet projects. A lot of companies say that they invest in their employees but Cyrus really does.
    It's also a great environment. We do a lot of pair programming which makes coding a lot of fun. We also TDD all of our code and put a lot of effort into making it high quality well architected software. I feel proud of our work.

Cons

A lot of the Cons have to do with the fact that Cyrus is a consultancy. I like the novelty of working on lots of different projects but it can also be stressful to not know what the next thing will be. It can also be frustrating to not have ownership over the software.

Advice to Management

I like that the management makes an effort to listen and get feedback from all of the developers and to be as open and transparent as possible.

9. "Fell in love with many Agile practices and learned to abhor Pair Programming"

Former Employee - Mid Level Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Mid Level Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Cyrus Innovation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance is the best I ever experienced. For a smallish company, they really go out of their way to compete with the perks provided by Google, Facebook, etc.
    Worked with brilliant and interesting people.

Cons

Full time Pair Programming was very tiresome. A true 8-hour day is actually a LONG time when you spend the entire time sitting at an unpersonalized workstation with another developer the entire day.
    Worked several months on a silly make-work web app that eventually got dropped on the floor.
    Really wanted to build experience in Java, but got stuck on RoR projects instead.

10. "Excellent culture that values employee involvement"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Boston, MA

I worked at Cyrus Innovation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent work/life balance; steady advancement opportunities; collaborative atmosphere; management open to ideas for improvement; Agile principles embraced company-wide, bottom to top; teams are given board abilities to self-govern; excellent professional development budget (time & money); quarterly meetings helped strengthen company culture and work through company issues

Cons

Limited opportunity to differentiate yourself and advance at the top end of programmer career; like all consultancies, there can be cultural differences with clients that can be tricky to navigate; can be difficult to get assigned to a different project

Advice to Management

The two things I valued most while at Cyrus were 1) agile principles and practices were used company-wide, and 2) I could help effect change at the company. Maintaining these qualities will lead to continuing success.

11. "Agile Consultancy with great professional growth opportunities."

Current Employee - Agile Coach in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Agile Coach in New York, NY

Pros

The company gives you time and money to study and they give you complete control over how that is used. Conferences is the obvious choice, but I took time off to learn a new language that was not used on any project because I was interested in it. They ask, but don't require that you share the knowledge with others in the company, maintaining a good knowledge of who is the person to talk. Cyrus believes in having a good life outside of work as well and try to make your personal life better because of the benefits that Cyrus provides.

Cons

Most of the problems are inherent in consultancies. The clients have a problem, that's why they bring in outside help, but want to improve. You are given a say in which client(s) you work with, but it's just one part in the decision of where you are placed.