DC Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 26, 2019

Found 33 reviews

3.3
Dean L. Wilde
  1. "An awesome first job"

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at DC Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Intelligent and friendly people, stimulating quantitative problems, team-based approach to investing, great way to build skills across many disciplines (data science, finance, energy). Self-driven workplan teaches you to really think critically and own the analysis. Very little busy-work. Flat structure, approachable managers, fair opportunities to present to upper management and make impactful change

Cons

High turnover rate means loss of institutional knowledge, less room for skill development after 3-4 years, long commute if you want to live downtown

Advice to Management

Consider quality of life changes that could increase retention.

DC Energy2018-08-27
  2. "Disappointing"

Current Employee - Investment Analyst in Vienna, VA

I have been working at DC Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Above-average pay Smart people Interesting financial market

Cons

Some bad managers Analyst development is not a priority Bad work/life for the compensation

Advice to Management

Mediocrity at Principal levels should be unacceptable Treat analysts better

DC Energy2019-05-26
  3. "Great first job out of college"

Current Employee - Investment Analyst

I have been working at DC Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

DC Energy had some of the smartest and friendliest people I've worked with. Everyone knew their stuff and didn't hesitate to help each other out. Comp and benefits were decent as well.

Cons

Hours could be unpredictable and is heavily dependent on which team you get placed. The turnover rate is also on the high side.

Advice to Management

Incentivize associates and analysts to stay longer

DC Energy2018-10-02

"Pays well, amazing co-workers, good professional development, hours can be difficult"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Vienna, VA

I have been working at DC Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Intelligent Co-workers High pay, commensurate with other finance jobs Constant learning in your first few years; good professional development and skills

Cons

Hours can be bad depending on the team you're placed on, well above the 55 hr/wk they tell you about

Advice to Management

Actually balance teams with the # of people needed to have a decent work-life balance

DC Energy2017-11-30

"Hard work, great pay, brilliant people"

Former Employee - Analyst in Vienna, VA

I worked at DC Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are friendly and very smart. I learned a ton. Great perks in the office and at company events. They pay well.

Cons

Have to work long hours a few times a month. 11 hour days are typical. Sometimes work nights and weekends to meet deadlines.

Advice to Management

Make people more comfortable to stay long-term. The churn rate is killing the base of expertise.

DC Energy2016-11-27

"Overall a positive experience"

I worked at DC Energy full-time

Pros

The analyst cohort was generally pretty easy going and fun though sometimes a bit nerdy. My managers seemed to care about how I was progressing and gave frequent feedback. Work was fairly interesting and highly analytical.

Cons

The location isn't ideal and the commute is annoying unless you live in Tysons, but then you live in Tysons. Some people had problems with their managers, but this was a minority. There also were no clear exit opportunities with a two year non-compete.

Advice to Management

Communication with the cohort could have been much better. Also there are a lot of managers relative to the total headcount.

DC Energy2016-09-16

"Great Job to Learn At, But Narrow Niche"

Former Employee - Investment Analyst in Vienna, VA

I worked at DC Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

You work with highly intelligent, motivated coworkers who are usually happy to help you improve your coding and research skills. The firm expects you to learn on the job, and the skills are transferable to other positions, so it's major fringe benefit.

Cons

The energy niche most DC Energy employees analyze and/or trade in is extremely narrow, and a non-compete means that you really can't take investment strategies with you. On the other hand, you do gain general market knowledge that is somewhat useful in other fields.

Advice to Management

DC Energy is a "transactional" employer rather than an "inspirational" employer, and this leads to higher turnover. As a smaller trading outfit, it might benefit from attempting to borrow from the "inspirational" employer handbook from time to time.

DC Energy2016-05-28

"Loving it so far"

Current Employee - Investment Analyst in Vienna, VA

I have been working at DC Energy full-time for less than a year

Pros

So this has been my first gig out of college and it's been about as good as I could've hoped for especially when I've compared my experience to friends'. The work is challenging (something that I'm glad for). You'll be coming in every day and be expected to actually think. This is aided by the fact that the work is interesting, but unlike research it stays fresh because you don't just work on one project all the time....

Cons

There are definitely some downsides to working here. It's my understanding that they've scaled down their team budgets pretty significantly from the past (no more $1,000+ tasting menus), which just means I can't experience how nice that must have been in the past. There is a non-compete, although it's only meant to restrict trading the same set of securities that we work with (and it's a pretty niche market). I can't...

Advice to Management

I would reword the fine print about bonuses in our contracts (have historically ranged up to 50%). Not sure I'd be bringing peoples' hopes up about 50% of salary if that's unlikely to happen again.

DC Energy2016-01-26

"Niche Quant shop"

Former Employee - Investment Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at DC Energy for more than 3 years

Pros

young interesting capable people, good work life balance, flat structure

Cons

Non-compete, limited compensation upside, Location (Tysons corner, VA)

DC Energy2015-12-04

"Good place to learn; not great to grow"

Former Employee - Associate in Vienna, VA

I worked at DC Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working at DC Energy is a mixed bag. On the positive side, you get to learn a lot about energy markets, data science, web development, visualizations, and presentation. You get to work with incredibly smart people on very difficult problems. Unlike some other proprietary trading firms or hedge funds, it is an extremely collaborative environment, more collegial than cut-throat.

Cons

There's not enough transparency; management will frequently make seemingly arbitrary decisions with little explanation or room for input. Limited room for growth -- depends a lot on your team. Managers sometimes micromanage (which can be good at times, especially initially). The work experience varies a lot based on team and manager. Compensation is closer to consulting pay/bonus scale than proprietary trading...

Advice to Management

Improve transparency into decision-making. Compensation is important and shows how little management values employees (or at least sees them as replaceable). Move to DC.

DC Energy2015-10-29