DC Energy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

DC Energy Interview Questions

3.8

Investment Analyst Interview

Interview

Had a quick 20 minute interview. Asked about what I knew about the company and why I wanted to get into energy trading. I was then presented with two cases where I had to describe my thinking process. Overall, it was not that difficult, but it seemed that the person interviewing me was uninterested. When I asked questions, it took him some time to give an answer and his answers were brief.

Analyst Strategy and Analysis Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at DC Energy (Charlottesville, VA) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied through campus recruiting and had one interview on-campus. The interview consisted of 15 minutes of behavioral question, and 10 minutes of math intensive brain teaser. The interviewee was polite, but did not offer any help/advice with the brain teaser.

Full Time Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at DC Energy.

Interview

On-campus interview. The process was back-to-back, one of them ask you to solve a series of logic problems. The question looks complicated, but the logic is not that hard. Another one is behavioral questions and some maths brain teasers.

Interview Questions

• describe one time you face a teamwork problem and how did you solve it   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DC Energy (Pittsburgh, PA) in October 2015.

Interview

Met with one employee of DC Energy for a case interview. They asked if I had any questions about the company, then dove right into the case. Was given a sheet of data on 4 different factories that output energy. The daily output capacity of the firm, variable costs, and fixed costs of building the factory were all provided. It felt very abrupt to begin talking about this. I was required to ask questions in order to gain more information about the firms. The value of the energy being produced was given in the form of a probability density chart.

Interview Questions

• Between 4 different potential factories, which would you invest in building? (given a sheet of data on each firm's daily output, profit per output unit, variable cost, and fixed cost of building)   Answer Question

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DC Energy in October 2015.

Interview

Pretty straightforward on-campus interview. I applied through my university's website and got a response that I could sign up for an interview. Went in, it was about 45 minute. The interviewer was very friendly so it wasn't stressful at all. Didn’t get a second round though, so maybe I should have done better. Who knows.

Interview Questions

• I was given a "case" interview, more like a brainteaser, about different colored hats. Pretty fun.   1 Answer

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DC Energy.

Interview

For the investment analyst position, the interviewing process was very straightforward. They are looking for your quantitative analysis skills and will ask questions in regards to your experience - be prepared to talk somewhat about it - as well as test you mid-interview on a data related situation. Kind of difficult question; not the hardest I've seen, but I've seen easier.

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at DC Energy.

Interview

Asked me one personal question, one resume question, and one analytical question. Interviewer was curt. Most of the interview was spent on the critical thinking question. Maybe he had more questions afterwards but I never answered the critical thinking question successfully. He asked me if I had any questions about the company after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Explain experience with R & MATLAB   Answer Question
    • Critical thinking problem with 1000 boxes, a set of rules for eliminating boxes, and asking to pick the last box remaining   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at D.C. Energy?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at DC Energy.

Interview

I interviewed on Campus. The first round interview was fairly difficult. It required some math knowledge. The second round interviews were still on campus but were two separate interviews. One of them wasn't too difficult but the other I struggled with a lot. I was surprised I got invited back for the office day. The office day was incredible. Just interviewing with this company was worth it even though I ended up choosing another job. They put everyone up in a nice hotel for two nights and take everyone out for dinner and drinks both nights. The actual office interview day was much more relaxing than the previous interviews. I think once they invite you to the office they know you are smart, they just want to see how well you work with others and to see how well you would fit in company culture. The employees at DC Energy are great people. Everyone is smart and able to hold good conversations.

Interview Questions

• The interviews involved questions relating to the energy business and brain teasers.   Answer Question

Even though DC Energy looks like an incredible place to work, I received other great offers. While the salary at DC Energy is high, the hours I would need to put were a concern for me since this is my first job out of college. Note: DC Energy actually has great hours considering they are an investment company. But I decided I would rather start my career working closer to 45 hours per week rather than 55 hours per week. Another concern with working for DC Energy is the swings in the energy investment industry. Many firms don't last long, and while DC Energy's track record is great, the time in between when I would have had to accept the offer and when I would actually start working is long. I didn't want to risk the company failing, leaving me without a job. I could definitely see myself at DC Energy in the future.

Investment Analyst Interview Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at DC Energy.

Interview

Met the recruiter at a career fair, submitted resume and cover letter got a first round interview. Unfortunately I did not know it was a case interview. I had never done a case interview before, and it showed in my presentation. Although I came to the correct number, I did not receive a second round interview.

Interview Questions

• Estimate the number of lightbulbs bought yearly in the US.   Answer Question

Investment Analyst Interview

Interview

-Submitted my resume and cover letter through my university career database
    -Had 2 30min in-person interviews with company employees
    -One brainteaser (see below)
    -One case interview about what type of power plant to invest in based off of figures given to you (coal, natural gas, or oil)

Interview Questions

• Brainteaser: You have 1000 boxes and only 1 box contains the "treasure". In order to find the correct box, you must line the boxes up 1-1000 and systematically remove one box, save the next box, remove the next box, etc, etc. What number box contains the treasure?   2 Answers