DC Energy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at DC Energy

3.7

Sort:

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DC Energy.

Interview

I did a resume drop through my schools career services website and heard back within two weeks. The first round interview was a short case interview and the second round was the next day and included two interviews each lasting around forty-five to fifty-five minutes. They asked questions based on information they gave you and had one question about a computer simulation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at DC Energy (Washington, DC) in October 2011.

Interview

Applied through university career services, then got offered an interview. First round interview was about half and hour, a computer science question, algorithm-based. Later that night got a phone call offering me a 2nd round interview the next day. That was 2 45-minute interviews back to back, both were much more quantitative in nature. Also got to ask questions.

Interview Questions

• Which power plant would you build, coal, natural gas, or oil?   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at DC Energy.

Interview

I interviewed on Campus. The first round interview was fairly difficult. It required some math knowledge. The second round interviews were still on campus but were two separate interviews. One of them wasn't too difficult but the other I struggled with a lot. I was surprised I got invited back for the office day. The office day was incredible. Just interviewing with this company was worth it even though I ended up choosing another job. They put everyone up in a nice hotel for two nights and take everyone out for dinner and drinks both nights. The actual office interview day was much more relaxing than the previous interviews. I think once they invite you to the office they know you are smart, they just want to see how well you work with others and to see how well you would fit in company culture. The employees at DC Energy are great people. Everyone is smart and able to hold good conversations.

Interview Questions

• The interviews involved questions relating to the energy business and brain teasers.   Answer Question

Even though DC Energy looks like an incredible place to work, I received other great offers. While the salary at DC Energy is high, the hours I would need to put were a concern for me since this is my first job out of college. Note: DC Energy actually has great hours considering they are an investment company. But I decided I would rather start my career working closer to 45 hours per week rather than 55 hours per week. Another concern with working for DC Energy is the swings in the energy investment industry. Many firms don't last long, and while DC Energy's track record is great, the time in between when I would have had to accept the offer and when I would actually start working is long. I didn't want to risk the company failing, leaving me without a job. I could definitely see myself at DC Energy in the future.

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at DC Energy (Charlottesville, VA) in September 2017.

Interview

There was a case interview and then the second round was 2 back to back case interviews with the final interview being on site and learning about company culture. The final on-site interview was my favorite part because you got to learn about the company culture and it was not extremely formal which helped with stress, but they were trying to see whether you would be a good fit for the company.

Interview Questions

• These were a series of case interviews in which you would be asked a logic question or puzzle of some sort and then you would answer.   1 Answer

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at DC Energy.

Interview

I applied through campus recruiting - submitted my resume and cover letter and was offered a 1st round interview. The interview was mainly just the case - not too much fit or behavioral at all. The interviewer was really nice and polite and did not make me feel nervous or uncomfortable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DC Energy (Pittsburgh, PA) in October 2013.

Interview

I applied online through the college's job portal. I was selected for a first interview. The interview was an on-campus interview. It consisted solely of asking why you were interested in the position and a case study. We were called back later that day to find out whether we were given a second interview which was to be the following day.

Interview Questions

• The case study consisted of an electronics store which was going out of business. The prices various hypothetical customers were willing to pay was given for an item. Competitor's prices were given as well as the cost you paid, the MSRP, and the disposal cost. You were asked to select the best price to set for the sale of the goods. This was then reiterated twice more, once with a different item and once with two items where some customers were only willing to pay for packages with two items.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at DC Energy (Vienna, VA) in September 2010.

Interview

2 rounds of interviews. 1st round was on campus and was 2 30 minute logical reasoning/problem interviews. 2nd round was also on campus and was the same thing. Then invited to office day with panels, fit interviews with current employees and managers, and a team exercise. Got the offer a few days later.

Interview Questions

• Reasoning through a coal plant's profits and business operations   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much room for negotiation, but a pretty good sell with benefits/bonus/etc.

Investment Analyst Interview

Interview

-Submitted my resume and cover letter through my university career database
    -Had 2 30min in-person interviews with company employees
    -One brainteaser (see below)
    -One case interview about what type of power plant to invest in based off of figures given to you (coal, natural gas, or oil)

Interview Questions

• Brainteaser: You have 1000 boxes and only 1 box contains the "treasure". In order to find the correct box, you must line the boxes up 1-1000 and systematically remove one box, save the next box, remove the next box, etc, etc. What number box contains the treasure?   2 Answers

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DC Energy in October 2014.

Interview

I used my school's resume drop to apply, and was selected for first-round interviews. Before the interview, no information was provided on what type of interview it would be, so I was a little unsure about what it would be, though I expected case. This was correct. It was 40 minutes case, 5 minutes for me to ask questions.

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at DC Energy.

Interview

Very brief 30 min interview that went over my resume, interest for the company and the skills that I brought to the position. The interviewer was very nice and polite and had a lot of experience in the company.

Interview Questions

• Which is the smallest number that is perfectly divisible (no decimals) by every number between 1-10?   2 Answers