DCSC Reviews | Glassdoor

2.1
Kirsten Austin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "QA"

Pros

PTO is nice to have

Cons

No bonuses or perks or avail to WFH

"Don't bother! Stay away! Don't say I didn't warn you."

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer

I worked at DCSC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked for DCSC for a whole 23 working days and have all of this to say.

The best thing about working here is the location of the office. It is centrally located in “The Hill” neighborhood of St. Louis, a very nice neighborhood within the city with lots of sandwich shops and other non-chain restaurants. The problem is, you only have 30 minutes for lunch leaving no time to properly enjoy these places. There is free parking which can be rare in the city. 5:00 pm (quitting time) is also a “pro.” Finally—a paycheck— yeah that’s a pro until you read the cons.

Cons

Where to start? This is the most unusual and counterproductive environment in which to work. It is an office space where EVERY office door is physically CLOSED and is highly encouraged to be closed. Communication and teamwork is prohibited in this office. Even small talk like general morning greetings are frowned upon. With this said you can only imagine what kind of training or job introduction you are going to receive. All office communications must be by email. All, if any, office collaboration must be arranged by an email-made appointment. Any questions pertaining to your job are not accepted. You are actually told to go away and to send an email. Their response to any question, whether by email or, if you are lucky, verbally is: “Read the manual.” This “manual” is of minimal help. It is an “in-house” written WORD document consisting of 1,894 pages of screen shots and dialog that has poor language and almost no punctuation. Needless to say, you are pretty much on your own. Try training a new client on the software after only working for THREE WEEKS in this environment! All work assignments, if any, are given by email. Have you ever been told to call a client and speak about the product when nobody has ever spoken to you about it?

My advice: Don’t apply and if you already have and have been offered an interview, FIND SOMETHING ELSE, ANYTHING ELSE, to do at that time instead!

Advice to Management

Adopt a new way of operating your office and treating your employees or plan on doing all the work yourself because your revolving door won’t stop spinning.

"Great software Company"

Current Employee - In House Consultant
    Current Employee - In House Consultant

I have been working at DCSC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working here for a little over two years now as an in house consultant and I really enjoy this job. DCSC is a great company with good benefits and also possibilities to move up with in the company. I have received a few raises and a bonus during my short time being with them. Your hard work does not go unrecognized. DCSC is a small software company with great potential for growth in the future.

Cons

I do not have any at this time.

"Worst work experience I have ever had."

I worked at DCSC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro I could consider placing here would be the pay, but because of discrepancies in how employees are paid at all, I cannot. In fact, I found after leaving the company that the salary offered is not nearly enough to be considered competitive for the industry.

Cons

The atmosphere at this company leaves much to be desired. I had initially thought that this would be a good place for me to build positive business relationships and further my career. I was very, very wrong.

Like others, I consider communication to be key to short and long-term success, especially in a business with so few employees. Here, communication was actively discouraged. I was in shock when I was assigned to work on a project and needed to collaborate with another employee and was threatened with termination if I continued to disrupt the office.

Often, employees were assigned to tasks that overlapped or were entirely redundant. Because of the lack of communication, many hours were wasted solving with more than one person working on the same thing, but without the ability to team up and cut costs down for the company. I made the mistake of bringing this problem up when I was nearly written up for attempting to help a new hire with a question. Simply put, the lack of communication and active stance against it put a damper on productivity.

There is a real "good ol' boy" network at work here. The original team has their own clique that is so tight no one else can even communicate with them. Disparaging remarks are often made to and about other employees by the veterans here, but management is so close with them that employees feel as though they have no one to turn to in order to improve their working environment. There is very little support for employees here. Newer employees are fired or forced out when the workload declines.

I spent nearly two years here and warn my friends about it when they consider applying.

Advice to Management

The culture is toxic! You waste and then discard the talent that you hire without a care. Act like a real firm or consider shutting your doors because there will be no one left to hire and fire.

"An unhappy environment"

I worked at DCSC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was unemployed, so getting a paycheck was an improvement, at the time. Unfortunately, that was quickly eclipsed by the negatives that I list below.

Cons

The company is very small. There are a handful of old hands who have been there forever. Everyone else is much newer and there's a lot of turnover with the remainder of the staff.

This is both due to people quitting and being let go.

Management does not treat people well, so some quit. Others are let go, one former employee I worked with was let go for some pretty flimsy reasons, to put it lightly. I believe they staff up to deal with a need, and then come up with justification to let people go to keep headcount down and profits up.

Pay, at least for me, was lower than industry standard and other than health insurance, there's not much in the way of benefits. Their time-off policy is probably the most draconian of any I've ever heard of.

There's this weird kind of "vibe" in the office that one picks up pretty quickly after starting, that something isn't quite right. Employees don't really talk to one another, there's no friendly conversations with co-workers and it's peculiar. This is apparently the environment the management wants, as I was reprimanded (yes, reprimanded) for exchanging brief pleasantries with a co-worker in the morning. As in, "Good morning, how are you?" Apparently they view that sort of thing as disruptive.

If I had to do the whole thing over, I'd probably have never started there. It wasn't a positive experience and I left work every day in a bad mood and venting to my friends and family.

One final note, there's a review here from an administrative assistant, which is curious, as that position didn't exist when I was there, and the times do seem to overlap.

Advice to Management

Lighten up and let your employees act like "people" -- not work robots.

"Pretty good"

I have been working at DCSC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

DCSC is located on "The Hill" in Saint Louis. It is in a very nice neighborhood that I walk regularly on my lunch break. There are several Italian sandwich shops that I stop at and eat.

The owner of the company has a lunch and little birthday party in the breakroom for each employee.

There are several employees that have worked here since the company began 20 years ago, or started shortly after the company started.

DCSC sells software and it is very in demand in the warehousing/manufacturing industries. It is a good place for career growth in a burgeoning field.

Cons

When I come up with something I will add it here.

"Biggest regret of my professional life."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Pay is reasonable. Nice building. Old furniture shop restored. Lots of restaurants in the area.

Cons

No communication. Everyone that has worked there, past and present will agree with this. Lack of direction. No training or overview on the product being developed and sold. Told to rely on the manual only. Turnover rate is very high. An acquaintance and ex employee of DCSC has steered several friends away from DCSC, but unfortunately didn't get a chance to warn me. The atmosphere is dehumanizing and stifling. Co-workers are discouraged and afraid to speak to each other. No employee knows what the other is doing. Teamwork is discouraged.

Advice to Management

Management has been aware of the problems for years but is unwilling to change.

"Completely unsatisfactory."

Current Employee - Customer Support in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Paid descent salary, but still not enough for the hassles and abuse that you had to endure.

Cons

No internal communication. No support or training other than " Read the Manual " Heavily criticized and written up for not supporting customer on start up visit when I had only been with the company for THREE WEEKS!

Advice to Management

GET A CLUE!

"Working for DCSC"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

The starting pay is decent and your pay can increase if you perform well at your assigned tasks.

Cons

Very poor communication internally. All communication must be made via email, no talking is allowed.

This company has been in business for about 19 years under this same leadership and dozens and dozens of employees have been in and out of here.

The only benefit offered is medical and the rate is so high that it would be much cheaper to find a private policy through any insurance company.

The Employee Handbook is extremely hard to understand as it does state you are both hourly and salary. Therefore you will be docked pay if you work less than 40 hours per week but will not be paid any overtime when you work more than 40 hours.

The Handbook states that you get a week's vacation within the first year and you are eligible to take it after 6 months, but in reality the vacation begins to accrue at 6 months.

The company provides no training for any position. You are expected to come in and already know what you are doing and be able to succeed with minimal supervision and assistance.

The computer systems are outdated and prone to break down often.

Advice to Management

Provide support, training, and communication to your employees like every other company does and it will help you retain and attract the types of good employees that will stay with your company for a long time. Provide benefits for your employees besides just major medical. In order to attract good talent, you have to compete with all of the other companies out there that are offering this to their employees.

"All I can say is terrible"

I worked at DCSC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice area on the hill and thats it.

Cons

No talking is allowed and is written up. You are supposed to know what you are doing with no training other than read the tech manual. The owner is a bitter old man who treats everyone with disrespect. If you have a choice dont choose this company. So many employees have been in and out of this place. The people in charge try to micromanage everything in there.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with some respect,