Daon Reviews | Glassdoor

Tom Grissen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Technical Consultant"

I worked at Daon full-time

Pros

The company is a leader on biometric identification products. It has a friendly environment. Everyone is committed to make projects successful.

Cons

Research and product development drives the efforts of the company, which is good because they offer a great system, but they should increase service offering.

Advice to Management

Identify competitor systems that could be replaced and improved using your products. Prepare a full solution that could be maintained and customized by partners. Find similar clients around the world and offer the solution.

"Great company for work/life balance"

I have been working at Daon full-time

Pros

The work is really interesting, getting to work with biometrics and iPhone/Android development. Security, identity assurance, mobile development all look really good on a resume. The office is in a great location in the Reston Town Center and it's very modern and spacious. The best part about working here is that there is good work/life balance. I'm able to get my work done and leave on-time to be home with my family. Management is pretty cool about me needing to work from home from time to time if I have a sick child or doctors appointment.

Cons

The company and teams are small and it has taken awhile for the products to get off the ground. Hopefully the company will grow with the new contracts we've been signing.

Government and Bank customers are not as exciting, but it's what you find in the Washington DC area.

Advice to Management

Invest in people before they're needed, not while we're in a crunch.

"Should have listened to Glassdoor..."

Pros

The pay is good but the company is pretty cheap when it comes to anything else

Cons

I read all of the bad reviews before joining and like the optimist I am I joined anyway. My perspective was that they were trying to improve all of the areas that the people were complaining about and I could help in that effort. This is definitely not the case. What I realized is that they are actually satisfied with how things are going there. I couldn't believe it. They totally underestimate how terrible they are in all facets. It's more like, "We'll get to that someday" mentality. I found out all of the negative reviews are actually true. Everything from the worse management I've every experienced to the terrible products (which they actually approve of). I should have listened to Glassdoor...

Advice to Management

You need to be replaced actually but I'm sure that will never happen.

"A good Irish company with a bad product."

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Daon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to travel to Ireland on business several times.

Cons

It was not a company that valued teamwork. It was kind of Everyman for himself.

Advice to Management

Foster teamwork and support all sales efforts.

"First few years were good, but the ship began to sink when they turned their eye towards poorly planned mobile products"

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Reston, VA

I worked at Daon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive pay, annual bonus, opportunities for travel, good people for the most part

Cons

Severe lack of work/projects, no stability (fear of layoffs is constant), Engine product which is their bread and butter really does not bring anything to the table, poor customer satisfaction/retention, mobile related software developed by shooting at the hip, US Engineering department very poorly led and products go through almost no design or quality cycle; positive products reviews in App Stores mostly left by company employees

Advice to Management

Communicate better with your staff; make the good and the bad clear; stop dumping money into products that the market is not asking for

6. "A great company in an exciting industry"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Daon (More than 10 years)

Pros

Daon is a great company to work with exciting biometric technology with a team of clever people. There are great opportunities to work on a variety of public and private sector projects in locations around the globe.

Cons

Daon is a small company so it means that people need to be prepared to work on a variety of tasks and wear multiple hats. This can be an opportunity for some people but a hassle for others however with the growth of the business this is becoming less of an issue.

Advice to Management

Continue with the focus and approach of the past two years and continue to invest in Engineering great products.

"Good company with interesting products"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canberra (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canberra (Australia)

I have been working at Daon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- The products are good and perform well.
    - On the whole the people are great. Intelligent and know their stuff. Good craic.
    - Interesting clients and projects.
    - Good pay and conditions.
    - Management are fairly flexible.
    - Opportunity for travel.
    - Fairly innovative and open to new ideas.

Cons

- Being in Australia, sometimes a little out of the loop due to the distance and time difference between the US/Ireland and Australia.

Advice to Management

Try and keep Australia more in the loop in terms of what is happening in the rest of the company.

"Great brand with a positive road ahead"

Current Employee - Engineer in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Daon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture. Lots of very intelligent people so good opportunities to learn and advance career. Niche market that is just starting to gain market traction.
    Great benefits and reviewed regularly to match the market although i'd rate the salaries and benefits offered here to be higher than average.
    Actively seek out the best and brightest talent and work hard to hang onto them.

Cons

It is the type of business where projects can take months if not years to develop. This can be frustrating but that's part of the industry more than a company problem.

Advice to Management

Like any company communication is key between staff and management. Maybe look to improve on the frequency or communication methods currently in use.

"We are part of something special..."

Pros

- Working with technology that is at a tipping point globally to becoming ubiquitous, an exciting and rare position to be in.
    - Exposure to many areas of the business as we are an SME vs a large company where those opportunities may not be as easy/accessible.
    - Flexibility as an employee to work in a manner that suits your own lifestyle.
    - Extensive and generous benefits across the board, very family friendly.
    - Some of the best people I have worked with, a really great crew.

Cons

- Being an SME has it's challenges too such as resource constraints. Recent market developments and achievements have reduced these constraints but that is to be expected in an SME. You need to be pro-change, flexible and agile to work in this type of company.
    - You can never communicate too much, communications can sometimes be too team focussed vs group focussed.

Advice to Management

- Solicit feedback from employees.

"Very poor and bad company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Pros

I wish it had any actually it does I remember it lays off people for no reasons

Cons

For being a biometric company there security is terrible any one can steal and hack and do what ever he likes and they even don't know about it I was internal involve with there IT

Advice to Management

Get independent for your IT needs till when will you keep relying on your parent company who is ripping you off every year lol. All the money just to waste wow.