DataScience.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Ian Swanson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Genuinely the best job I've ever had"

I have been working at DataScience.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Look, this is the best job I've ever had, and I don't get excited about jobs. The company is dynamic, the team is scary smart, and we're really well positioned in the industry. I'm constantly given opportunities to sharpen my skills and explore new things I'm interested in, and from my co-workers all the way up to our CEO, I never doubt that my work is appreciated or that I'm a valued member of the team.

With regards to work-life balance, my personal experience has been that while you're definitely expected to perform, you also get a ton of flexibility in return. I've never once been side-eyed for taking time away for doctors appointments or family events, or for working from home when I need to focus. My boss checks in with me frequently to make sure I'm not feeling overworked, and he always encourages us to take some time away when we've been pulling long hours. The thing is, no one in management is a mind reader. If you're feeling drained, you have to speak up and let them know.

Other things I love:
    - The company fosters a learning environment, not just by giving employees basically endless opportunities for education, but by hosting area meet-ups that everyone on the team is invited to attend.
    - There are multiple advocacy groups at the company that volunteer for local non-profit charities and education centers.
    - Management is always transparent about how things are going.

Cons

Yes, we work long hours sometimes, especially if there are features we need to get out the door. But that's what you sign up for when you join a start-up. Like another reviewer said, if you're looking for a comfortable, predictable, 9-5 job, that's fine, everyone has their preferences, but this isn't the place. However, if you're feeling burned out, rather than venting anonymously, let. your. boss. know. I promise that will make you feel better than ranting on Glassdoor.

It's true that the company could stand to be more diverse, but that's being addressed head-on.

Things can sometimes feel disorganized, planning-wise, because we're moving so fast and there are so many things in motion at once. We could probably stand to streamline some of our processes so we can keep moving quickly but make sure everyone is on the same page.

Advice to Management

Spend some time with the bad attitudes on the team and find out what's really bugging them. They're probably frustrated with something and instead of talking about it, they're letting it stew.

Keep praising hard work. I know from experience how good it feels when my work is acknowledged, and that's one of the reasons I enjoy working here.

"Great to be part of this team"

I have been working at DataScience.com full-time

Pros

- Working towards something huge. We're experiencing the first wave of success now, and I feel lucky to be playing for this team that is on the path to win the market. Our product is strong, our marketing has put us on the map, and our customers have an amazing team dedicated to making them successful.

- Great coworkers across the entire company that are brilliant, caring, and hard working.

- Company-sponsored affinity groups that foster channels of mentorship and support for employees that don't get the opportunity to work together daily. As a woman who identifies as LGBT, it's very cool to know that leadership recognizes value in actively supporting these groups.

- Being given multiple channels to provide feedback to leadership on what's working and what's not.

Cons

- Not really a con but a heads up: You will be responsible for solving problems that you haven't solved before under time constraints. This is nerve-wracking, and can be challenging to manage, but is the reality of being part of a startup.

Advice to Management

Focus on keeping the momentum going as we set out to do hard things. Continue to grow and nurture your team.

"Dream sales job. Right place to be in 2017!"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at DataScience.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Company Culture is very team oriented. We win together. It is very special to see the whole team proactively looking for ways to contribute to sales.
    -Product Team listens to customer requirements and sales feedback, and responds quickly.
    -Customer reactions have validated product & roadmap.
    -Marketing Machine serves up excellent leads. Endless pipeline of Executives.
    -Flexibility of platform allows sales to answer most product requirements questions with "Yes"
    -Timing of initial product release allowed team to observe successes and failures of competitor's software, embracing the good ideas and avoiding the pitfalls.
    -CEO offers employees visibility into Management decisions
    -Sales pipeline makes it clear that we are on the verge of something BIG

Cons

Busy, busy, busy. Although I could write the same thing as a Pro.

Advice to Management

Market response is validating company decisions. Don't second-guess yourselves. Continue to scale sales team to handle the massive flow of leads from Marketing.

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at DataScience.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Solid product with the right vision and road map to go forward.

Positive atmosphere. Surrounded by very smart, talented, ambitious and hard working people.

Company genuinely cares about my well being especially compared to other companies where I've worked.

Office is a very comfortable space.

Future seems bright considering the excitement around the product.

Cons

No major cons worth noting. A good place to work!

"Right Time and Place"

I have been working at DataScience.com full-time

Pros

- Clients love the product and clear market demand for what we are building.
    - Fast paced environment with strong engineering team
    - Supportive and collaborative environment - everyone's focused on shipping our product, but also willing to help out when needed

Cons

- Startup environment. Can be excellent for some, hard for others.
    - Things move fast. Agree with other reviews that not everything is perfect, but I feel supported and that we are making the right moves.

Advice to Management

Stay the course and keep focused. Continue to engage with employees to make sure we are all on track to delivering a great product.

"Gaining velocity and looking good"

I have been working at DataScience.com full-time

Pros

Brilliant coworkers, caring managers, challenging problems

Cons

Tendency to hire too easily, hiring of inexperienced managers

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees, don't be scared to fire incompetent employees

"Questionable strategy, politics-driven, soft leadership"

I have been working at DataScience.com full-time

Pros

- I have some great coworkers who work here.
    - There are plentiful snacks and free food that circulate throughout the week.
    - There are a ton of cool, expensive furnishings here from Restoration Hardware or other hipster places. Definitely some interesting pieces to look at.
    - DataScience is mostly funded by Saudi money, and so the company is above market with compensation.

The reason I mention the source of the money is because I felt misled by the reputable VCs (Greycroft, Crosscut) touted on the DataScience website, but invested a relatively minimal portion of this company's total funding. I would have done more of my own due diligence on the company had I known this, and would likely not have taken a job here.

Cons

DataScience, Inc. is now on its fifth or so major pivot, with its most recent in 2016. The number of pivots in and of itself aren't necessarily a problem, but they seem to have come from an ongoing lack of understanding of the industry, a general lack of business acumen, and the founders' inability to make difficult decisions in concert with a penchant for sweeping bad news and negative feedback under the rug, no matter how much truth is in them.

Leadership settled on another new direction late last year, but the new space is crowded with competitors that have multiple years of development lead time on DataScience, or are better, cheaper open-source alternatives. DataScience has just gotten started, and it seems like we are going to try and win primarily through marketing. I am skeptical that it will be effective given the highly priced, enterprise model that we need to pursue and the highly technical user base that we'd have to sell to. The platform we're working on is essentially a repackaged set of other tools that do it much better - Domino Data Labs, Mode Analytics / Looker, Jupyter / iPython notebooks.

Another unfortunate development here has been the rise of politics as a major driver of decisions. I have seen colleagues get left out of meetings, isolated, or even laid off with little to no warning because they disagree with product leadership. On the other hand, the product team has ballooned to an unnecessarily large number for a company as small as ours. There is definitely a boy's club feeling here, which feels antithetical to a company with such a collegial and intellectual name.

There was an ugly period recently when a lot of people were laid off or left, many of them senior data scientists; the fact is, there is no need for many actual data scientists to be here anymore. The company used to be centered on data scientists providing consultation and building models to solve problems, but that business model has failed and shut down. That transition was awkward and poorly handled, and covered employees with a prolonged cloud of fear and uncertainty.

To summarize, the future feels uncertain, the company strategy feels reactive and ill-conceived, you will have to be politically savvy here and have your head on a swivel, and if you're a data scientist, perhaps look elsewhere as there are a lot of other compelling places to go and problems to solve.

There was a point where this company felt like it was on the edge of something exciting, but that time has come and gone. Now it feels like we're in the midst of a final, desperate hail mary. Join at your own risk.

Advice to Management

Up to this point, company and product strategy has felt like throwing a bowl of spaghetti at the wall, hoping something sticks. This approach is not sustainable - and every poor decision you have made has been costly. I'd say hit the hard reset button or consider that you're not cut out to be leaders of a startup.

"Fake and Failing"

I have been working at DataScience.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All the obviously fake Glassdoor reviews?

Cons

Unfortunately this place is a driverless clown car. Management is completely incompetent and so we have no revenue. Things looked hopeful for a hot minute last fall, but our latest product is a disaster.

Advice to Management

Stop wasting your time writing a positive review on here every time you get dinged by an employee for messing up. I'm sorry but that is not going to work lol. Get competent people in senior positions and start solving the real problems!

"Great company, great people!"

I have been working at DataScience.com full-time

Pros

- Smart, dedicated colleagues and a highly collaborative environment that I enjoy coming to each day.
    - Inspiring leadership, no micromanaging or credit takers on my team. There's also an emphasis on transparency and sharing knowledge throughout the organization which is motivating.
    - Good work/life balance, good benefits, comfortable office with lunch catered twice a week, and solid coffee and snack options. Occasional company parties, outings and other cultural activities.

Cons

- Fast paced environment which can be intimidating if you aren't used to startup life
    - The office location could be better

Advice to Management

Keep focus, and keep move the company forward. Execution is the key to DataScience's future.

"Big things with great people"

I have been working at DataScience.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I’ve been at DataScience for just over 6 months now. Working here has honestly been one of the best professional experiences I’ve had to date. Among others, there are three main reasons why I feel incredibly fortunate to work at DataScience.

First of all, we are doing big things. Just like our name suggests, we have big intentions to own the category of “tools for data science”. From our platform, to our in-house expertise, to our marketing strategy, the pieces are in place for us to hit a home-run and, as a result, push this industry forward.

Second, the people here are second to none. Everyone I work with at DataScience is not only incredibly bright, but incredibly kind! I’ve worked at a number of world-class companies and DataScience – insofar as recruitment is concerned – is on par with the best of the best.

Third, the leadership. While every startup goes through its growing pains, I am incredibly impressed with the leadership team’s ability to manage morale and lead with transparency. There is an open-door policy here, and the leadership team is indeed open to feedback & suggestions. Oh, that, and I like my boss (if you’ve had a bad boss before, you can understand how valuable this point is).

Right now, as a business, we are at a critical inflection point in the company’s maturity. This is the exact reason why I signed up to work for a startup: I want to do big things, own my job, and have fun doing it.

Cons

Unless you come from a very, very spoiled work environment, I don't think you'll find much to complain about.

Advice to Management

full steam ahead