Datstat Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Seattle, WA

I worked at Datstat (More than a year)

Pros

- Great Belltown location
    - Casual environment
    - Small company makes it like family

Cons

Pay is well below average

Advice to Management

Keep it going

"Stagnant!"

Former Employee - Part-time Job in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Part-time Job in Seattle, WA

I worked at Datstat part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some smart and hardworking folks in DatStat. Purely for those very few, I'm giving few stars. That's the only pro, I can think of.

Cons

Top of mind:-
    1) Management is not very flexible
    2) Too much micromanaging
    3) No opportunities for growth. Work is highly repetitive.

Advice to Management

In this day and age, try being more flexible!

"Nice People, Not much opportuity"

I worked at Datstat part-time

Pros

Everyone was professional and they obviously worked to create a good work environment

Cons

The pay was dirt cheap for Seattle. Monotonous work and no opportunity for growth.

"Great People, Bad Product"

Former Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I worked at Datstat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the people were amazing.
    Great building.

Cons

CEO is a very nice lady, and while her sales skill is very high, her vision for the future is very short sighted. This makes her unable to commit to strategic, long-term, changes.

Advice to Management

Commit and develop the product into the 21 century.

Sep 3, 2015 – Associate Social Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We agree - the people at DatStat are amazing! Your input about "developing the product into the 21st century" has been noted; our engineering... More

"Not a fun place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Datstat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some really nice people that work here and the customers are doing amazing work. There are free bagels on Wednesday morning. There have also been some efforts to improve culture and morale, but unfortunately none worked.

Cons

There is a ton of turnover at this company and there is not enough investment in product. They generally hire very junior people who they underpay and the morale at the company is very low. The employees that are good at what they do cannot wait to go somewhere else. The product has not been updated in many years and that is primarily a function of hiring junior people and chasing the short term dollars associated with custom projects. Not an enterprise class anything.

Advice to Management

Invest in your product. Hire more senior people. Eliminate some of the bad apples in management that have been there too long and don't bring value.

Sep 3, 2015 – Associate Social Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We agree - the people at DatStat and our customers are both doing amazing work! Your advice has been noted; we are taking measures to improve... More

"Amazing Talent Surrounded by Horrible Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Datstat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some great talented people here, and some amazing folks to work with. There is always something to do, and someone awesome to do it with. You wont never get bored at DatStat, even if you aren't doing what you actually got hired to do. Free Wednesday breakfast, monthly free lunches, good benefits

Cons

I am not really sure where to start here :

1. Sink or Swim mentality - Everyone has a sink or swim mentality for their peers, which means little to no training, and everyone expects you to get it or get out.

2. Job description Bait and Switch - I have seen this first hand, multiple times. They get you in on the job description, you do great on your interview, you get hired, and within the first few weeks, you're doing something completely different. You're told "the business needs you to do this right now." It's not fair, its not what you signed up for, but you are promised you'll be doing what you want to do in no time. I find this practice very unethical, and its not uncommon at DatStat

3. Micromanagement - I cant stand to be micromanaged, but DatStat takes it to a new level. Because there is no forward thinking even at an executive level at DatStat, everything must be managed in real time, which means you constantly have 3 or 4 people managing a project that are constantly asking when your deliverable is going to happen. It makes getting things done nearly impossible when you have constant interruptions. (Think office space TPS Reports)

4. Lack of Direction - I've only been with DatStat for a few years, but we've changed direction several times. It can be jarring to some, and often results in terminations, or people leaving the company.

5. Lack of Faith in Staff - When you surround yourself with intelligent people the point of that is so that you can have faith in the things they say, and trust in those words. Unfortunately leadership does not have any faith in the people they surround themselves with, and constantly ask for input, that never gets used, and in some cases employees are shut down, sometimes in public.

6. Pay people what they're worth! - DatStat touts competitive salary and benefits, but in reality they pay on average 20 - 30 percent below market. Benefits are pretty common for the Seattle area, but they do not offer other things like 401k, or other retirement benefits. However, DatStat does not expect you to have work/life balance. I am expected to eat, breath, sleep, and live DatStat. All day, every day, nights, weekends, and holidays. If you are working on some project somewhere, and its 3 am and some customer manages to find your boss and they think its urgent enough (even if its not) I hope your phone is on silent.

7. Even the consultants quit DatStat - Why? (Real quotes from consultants) "Your executives just won't listen to me, why am I even here?", "Your executives hired me for a specific job task, but they want me to do way more than I am contracted for and refuse to pay me for those services"

8. Unethical and Dishonest - Contrary to the GlassDoor review titled "Changing for the better" posted on May 6 2015 (I tried to link but GlassDoor wont let you), DatStat has not been getting better for quite a while, which is why I left. The review, which was actually written by the referenced COO, speaks about emphasis on career development, training, and mentoring; while firing people who are not performing because they are not getting the training they need to do their job. It also references high turnover because of "young and mobile" folks as opposed to dissatisfied employees. (see next item for explanation)

9. Super High Turnover - The high turnover is blamed on "Young and mobile" folks, which is completely untrue. In the last 2.5 years, the Death-toll was 41; just today two people were fired, and 1 more is leaving next week. that is 44 people in a company that now only has 25 employees left, which is less than there were when I started. Only 10 people actually left because they found a better job, the rest were fired, or flat out quit for various reasons, such as: too much work load with no assistance, being re-assigned a job responsibility they were not hired or compensated for, re-orged out of their role and left because they did not have a place to fit

TL;DR
    This company felt like a really great place to work when I first got here, now there are less employees than when I started. The mentality and culture of the company has changed so dramatically that it is beyond all recognition from when I first stepped through the door. Now the company is a sinking ship and I would not recommend anyone work here until they figure out how to fix the problems and get things right again. Everything from Execs to company direction needs to be re-aligned to a place where things are flowing in a positive stable direction. At DatStat, job security is definitely not an included benefit.

Advice to Management

1. Learn this word. "No" - Dont say that to your employees though, say it to your customers. Stop letting your customers walk all over you. Sometimes the customer is not always right. Learn to listen to them, without letting them run your business. Listen to your employees who actually deal with the customer daily, they may actually have some insight as to how those customers work and why they have so many issues.

2. Pick a direction and go there - DatStat is completely lost, I almost laughed out loud during our last company meeting when we saw the "Which market is for us" slide because I feel like we are constantly asking that even though 3 months ago we were sure it was the medical market, and 3 months before that it was clinical trials, and before that we were going to stop Ebola.

3. Have fiath in your employees - I left because I got tired of spinning my wheels only to realize that my boss relly just doesnt care about my input. He's going to make his own decision regardless of how much time, effort, and care I put into building my project, because he's an executive, and he can do what he wants. Whether he knows the best way to do it or not, its not about being collarborative, its about "im an executive, and I can do what I like" (Thats how all of the executives are at DatStat, and while this may sound very "Consiparcy theory" My projects were not the only ones treated this way)

4. Take Responsibility - Stop blaming others for your mistakes. I can't stand leadership that will not take responsibility for not doing the right thing, not following advice, or making the wrong decision and putting the blame on someone below them, sometimes resulting in that person getting fired. I think its childish, and sad that people that are supposed to be mentors make bigger mistkaes than people who are supposed to be in training, and set that as an example for others.

5. Do Things Right - My biggest problem of all of these things is DatStat's mentality of "Just Do It." No one cares about doing things right, just getting it out the door. From product, to security, to everything inbetween, no one wants to take the time to do things the right way, but just get it out and we'll worry about dealing with the fallout later. I HATE this kind of perspective, and this of everything else is what holds DatStat back from being an amazing company, with an amazing product, with amazing world class service.

Sep 3, 2015 – Associate Social Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We also believe DatStat is filled with talented, collaborative individuals who are the bread and butter of what makes us successful! Your... More

"Changing for the better"

I have been working at Datstat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management seems to be making a major effort to improve the culture and organizational structure. They just brought on a new COO who seems to be making some changes that we have needed for a long time. There is a bigger emphasis on career development, training and mentoring. Overall it is a good place to work. Smart people, challenging work, products are making the world a better place, great work space, lots of company provided fresh fruit, breakfast and lunches, free drinks and company get-togethers such as potlucks and ping pong tournaments.

Cons

We still seem to have high turnover, but it seems to be due to people being young and mobile as opposed to people being unhappy with the company. We also have a lot of organizational changes going on but they seem to be for the better.

Advice to Management

Keep working on the changes that you have started.

Sep 3, 2015 – Associate Social Community Manager

Thank you for the feedback! We're glad your time at DatStat has been a positive and "fruitful" experience. We're doing our best to continue making DatStat an exciting, challenging, and fun place to... More

"Lots of opportunity to learn and great problems to solve!"

I have been working at Datstat full-time

Pros

I think it is a great place to work with flexible hours, Wednesday snacks, company lunches, etc... Engineering group has excellent development processes in place including continuous integration, code reviews, and git for source code control. Development environment uses latest version of .NET, Visual Studio, modern C#, reSharper and the Atlassian suite of products (Stash, SourceTree, Jira, Bamboo, Confluence). The latest software being developed is using the leading technology: MVC, ASP.NET Web Api, jquery, angular.js, Twitter Bootstrap, less.

Cons

Sales driven company means that custom projects are often included in the product sale. This can impact the engineering focus. Need to support old product versions/technology like ASP.NET WinForms and WebForms.

Sep 3, 2015 – Associate Social Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback! We recognized that customer projects were taking up a lot of resources from engineering, so we have been actively growing our engineering team... More

"Super fun and hardworking crowd"

I have been working at Datstat full-time

Pros

The people at DatStat are awesome, friendly, hardworking, and generally a joy to be around. The CEO is very open, encouraging, and passionate.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that there's no real lunch room. Other than that, no complaints!

Sep 3, 2015 – Associate Social Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback! We're happy you had a positive experience and we're excited to tell you that our new office location has a spacious lunchroom that can seat the... More

10. "A place that's come a long way"

I have been working at Datstat part-time

Pros

After reading some of the other (probably older) reviews I would have to say that management at this company seems to have come a long way. Incoming work is much more fleshed out and detailed so that exactly what is expected is known to everyone. The company is expanding their target user base as well as the number of people working here. The work atmosphere is very open and inviting and I feel like I can ask any question without being looked down on. The work is also challenging, not all the time, but most of the time, and new ideas are always welcome. People here are very interested in the work we do and are always looking to better the work we do, produce better products and make better experiences for customers.

Cons

From time to time the atmosphere can fall a little bit below the professional level and people can loose site of their tasks and get lost in conversation. But I would have to say that, to a degree, this can be refreshing when working long days and can help re-invigorate your work performance and interest.

Advice to Management

Communication and explicit expectations are KEY in development.

Aug 18, 2014 – Associate Social Community Manager

Thank you for your support, and we welcome your continued feedback. We hope that we are valuing you as a person and as an employee as well. It is our intention to create a high-performing culture... More