Davison Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
George M Davison

Pros
  • I have met a lot of great people that I have learned from (in 5 reviews)

• We help creative people from all over the world pursue new product development (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • My commute is under 10 minutes now, so I personally have no cons (in 4 reviews)

• There are still a lot of people that believe mailing your idea to yourself is a form of protection (in 2 reviews)

1. "Creative Genius"

Current Employee - Senior Director of New Products in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Director of New Products in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Davison full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working at Davison has provided me with many opportunities for personal and professional growth and development. I came to Davison with over a decade of sales and business experience, but the Davison experience is unique in many ways. Working here has really helped me improve my confidence, business acumen, communication skills, and management skills. Davison provides an even playing field with opportunity for advancement within the Sales Department. I have met a lot of great people that I have learned from. I also enjoy talking to clients all around the world every day.

Cons

The only real downside for me personally is the commute. It takes me 45 minutes to an hour sometimes each way. Aside from that, like any company you work for, you can't choose who you work with. While most of the people are great, there are those that seem to be gifted with the skill of finding something wrong with everything.

Advice to Management

Continue to adapt to the rapid changes in technology, innovation, and customer acquisition in the ever changing marketplace. Continue to hold firm to the values that are not always popular or politically correct, but are necessary for success in the real business world.

2. "Good opportunity hard to build"

Former Employee - Director of New Products in Venice Gardens, FL
    Former Employee - Director of New Products in Venice Gardens, FL

I worked at Davison full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hours and training good starting pay good possible potential good benefits and fun and interesting job great hours. Fun great people

Cons

Hard to build your desk pay drops dramatic and hard to get the good leads to keep the desk. Not many people stay. Big turn over

Advice to Management

Better pay

Davison Response

Sep 13, 2016 – Employee Support

Thank you for your comments. Hearing from current (and former) employees that they enjoy the company perks is truly gratifying. Recently we had a company wide pot-luck lunch. We were happy to do it ... More

3. "Great Company HARD WORK"

Current Employee - Director of New Products in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Davison full-time

Pros

The company is wonderful to work for. After working for several Fortune 500 companies it amazing to see an open door policy to the President of the company. I remember working for Comcast Cable in the early 2000's and you had to set an appointment 2 MONTHS in advance to set a meeting with the VP. Even after the meeting was approved you had to send an overview of what you wanted to speak about. If it wasn't approved the executive assistant would answer your question on his behalf and decline your meeting invitation. That being said less than two week ago we had a company picnic at Davison and not only we the Owner Mr. Davison present, the president of the company was ON THE GRILL! Amazing work atmosphere and inventionland is incredible. I've had between 7-10 client visit the facility this year and watching a clients eyes light up when the realize their idea is not only being taken seriously but is being worked on in such a creative environment, its hard to get them to stay grounded once they are home. It's and Incredible experience and I plan to retire here. The company even allowed me to leave for a year and a half to acquire my late in life MBA and return after its completion. They really do treat employees like family if you are dedicated to your career and self development.

Cons

This job is VERY difficult and demanding. You have to take 25 years of experience and not only compartmentalize it in your head be decipher how to explain what and how we do what we do to someone who has no idea what it really takes to get an idea to market. This is increasingly difficult for clients that take advice from family members or general knowledge of patenting. There are still a lot of people that believe mailing your idea to yourself is a form of protection. How do your intelligently explain to a client the even though they've spent 500,000 or more on their idea that they are in the same position as someone who hasn't started yet. This is a rough industry and a lot of mistakes get made without the proper company behind you. In addition success rates for getting products licensed are VERY low. Even though we have a higher success rate that all of the other invention companies in our industry combined and licensing an average of 7 Products per Month, we speak to thousands of people over the coarse of the year. And to make it even more of a challenge, even if we get a client product licensed and its made available in the store SOMEONE STILL HAS TO BUY IT! That requires serious guts and commitment not only from the Client but their Director that is guiding them along this journey. All that being said it is a rewarding feeling to make that phone call to a client and let them know that a company has licensed their invention. This is not just a job, its a career with a ton of ups and downs.

Advice to Management

Training is essential to the direction of our company. A consistent message across the board means that clients are getting consistent information. Streamlining training is a vital source of success within our for walls and has a direct impact on our clients. Outside of that, thank you for the opportunity to change lives and influence people on their product development journey.

4. "Davison"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davison, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davison, MI

I worked at Davison full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good hours but little time off

Cons

Low pay and not very good benefits

Advice to Management

Pay more

Davison Response

Aug 22, 2016 – Employee Support

“Mistaken Identity” Sorry, our company does not have offices (or employees) in Davison, MI.

5. "Director"

Former Employee - Director of New Products in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Davison full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working in the leading company in the field of invention meant you never had to worry about another company being able to out do you when it came to customers deciding on a company to go with.

Cons

That being said since only 3% of customers ever turned a profit (and those are amazingly high numbers btw) it meant that most people being contacted really shouldn't have hired the company for the service in the first place. Davison is an amazing company for what it does. But when a client has a completely terrible idea there's only so much you can shine a dog turd.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a single message given to sales staff. I remember being told completely different things from different managers as far as how to succeed in the field.

6. "Director of New Products"

Current Employee - Director of New Products in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Davison full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working with clients all over the world and their product ideas is amazing and rewarding. You are surrounded by many creative and dedicated employees. Davison is a wonderful place to work and I look forward coming into the office every single day; Davison has strong values and is constantly evolving and finding better ways to improve the inventing experience.

I have been here working at Davison for almost 8 years; This company works constantly to provide the best services for all inventors worldwide.

Cons

I have nothing but great things to say about Davison. I have read some negative reviews; my experience here at Davison continues to exceed all my expectations.

Davison is one of the most innovative companies in Pittsburgh and I’m proud to be working here and helping clients turn their ideas into products.

"Innovation at its best!"

Current Employee - Director of Licensing in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Director of Licensing in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Davison full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Davison is by far the most creative and innovative place to work. It’s not often that you find a career where everyday you can experience and work with new ideas and innovations before the mass markets do.

My 10 years working in the licensing department in the Pittsburgh office have exposed me to invaluable opportunities and career advancements. There’s never a dull day here at Davison; everyday brings a new challenge from the last.

The management team is always looking for new ways to provide a better experience for our clients and reaches out to the employees for input. Mr. Davison is very approachable and open for feedback which is not usually the case with most CEOs.

Cons

The disadvantage to working at Davison is how we are seen as an equivalent to other invention companies. I can tell you from experience that the closest comparison to working here would be working at Disney World. You would be very hard pressed to find a more innovative product development company to work for.

Advice to Management

Your employees are your best assets. Continue using their suggestions to make the customer experience even better.

"Director of New Products"

Current Employee - Director of New Products in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Davison full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a very positive atmosphere. The support structure here is very strong as well. All of your co-workers help you to achieve your personal goals.

Cons

Davison is a growing company. As with any growing company new challenges arise every day. But with these new challenges always comes an opportunity to show what you're capable of accomplishing.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to stay the course. Continue to listen to the advice from your employees that would help make us better and keep moving in a positive direction.

"great place to work"

Current Employee - Director of New Products in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Davison is an ever improving company that values hard work and rewards those that put forth the effort each and every day.. It's great to be part of a company that is growing. Davison has helped me in so many ways professionally and personally. I couldn't be happier.

Cons

I really can't think of anything negative to say about the company.

"Director of New Products"

Former Employee - Director of New Products in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Davison full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The actual job is kind of fun. You basically just talk to people on the phone about their invention ideas (a lot of the ideas are pretty redundant or just plain ridiculous) and then try to sell them on Davison's design and development services. There are also a lot of great people that work here. I was at Davison for 4 years and met a ton of great people and made a lot of friends. You can make decent money here, but upper management (CEO/ President) does make it easy at all.

Cons

Although I basically enjoyed my employment here, there are a great number of cons. Salespeople are treated very poorly. (the sales department also makes up about 80% of the company) Upper management is very unorganized, unfair and just plain mean to some employees. There are also frequent and unexplained pay cuts. I was a lower level manager at Davison and I left because of the pay cuts. Management override pay was decreased by about 70% is a period of a few months. All employees also had their commission, bonus and base pay either reduced or completely eliminated. They would also take up to 10% out of your pay check if you "underperformed".

Upper management makes up and retracts rules and policies as they please.

To continue, this company will hire absolutely anyone regardless of education, intelligence, or criminal record. You will work with a number or sex offenders and ex-cons. On more than one occasion an employee had to be let go in the first couple of days after being hired because it was discovered that they could not read. A lot of management has no education further than high school.

Next, turn over here is crazy. They keep roughly 200 sales people on staff. In four years of employment it would not be an exaggeration to say that I saw about a thousand sales people come and go. They fire people when ever they want for what ever reason they want. A lot of people just quit too.

As far as time off, you do get planned days off - but don't you dare request to take any and do not be one second late because they will lock you out or send you home. (at least this was the policy when I was there)

Company owner has almost nothing to do with the sales department so don't expect any help from him. You may never even see or speak with him.

There is no overtime allowed here because they recently lost a case with the department of labor for not paying employees their over time wages in the past.

I am surprised at the number of positive review posted by employees in the last few months. Does not make sense to me. I know a lot of current employees and haven't heard too many positive experiences.

All in all, if you need a job, Davison will hire you - I just wouldn't expect to be treated very fairly.

Advice to Management

Some managers should be replaced with more qualified, educated and moral people.