73% would recommend to a friend
(235 total reviews)
93% approve of CEO
What people are saying about Dechert
Got a burning question about Dechert? Just ask!
On Glassdoor, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Dechert employees and get real answers from people on the inside.
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Long hours and job wasn’t fun" (in 16 reviews)
- "Management is atrocious and there's a ton of turnover" (in 10 reviews)
- "Company culture can differ widely among offices; some offices have a big 'face time' policy where the partners walk around the office after 7 pm to make sure associates are still at their desks... horrible work/life balance" (in 7 reviews)
- "Salary does not match up to long hours of 9" (in 6 reviews)
- "Corporate trainings always get cancelled and rescheduled." (in 5 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Dechert and is not affected by filters.
Found 235 of over 283 reviews
Updated Oct 27, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 5.0Oct 27, 2023AssociateCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearNew York, NY
Substantive and broad set of deals, good colleagues, excellent staff, trusts juniors
Long hours - but that's to be expected in Biglaw
- 5.0Jul 18, 2023Anonymous EmployeeCurrent EmployeeNew York, NY
You can bring your whole self to work each and every day. The culture significantly improved about six years ago and it is still going strong. The attention given to things like family planning, diversity, equity and inclusion and overall training are top-notch. Leadership is transparent and communicates with the Dechert community on a regular basis. With programs like birthday week, community discussion boards, lending libraries and so many ways in which to share ideas and have them be recognized Dechert is a great place to work. One of the best programs Dechert offers is the Stars Award. Every year, the efforts and accomplishments of employees who are making a difference as teachers, innovators or diversity champions receive a plaque and are given a $10,000 bonus.
More opportunities, than what is already offered, to interact with managers from other departments to brainstorm on various firm initiatives.1
- 4.0Oct 18, 2023Anonymous EmployeeFormer Employee, more than 3 yearsPhiladelphia, PA
Great group of people. They say what the mean and they mean what they say.
Salary not competitive with market.
- 5.0Jul 10, 2023Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearNew York, NY
Dechert is an excellent firm that truly emphasizes culture and well-being. I've worked at several large AmLaw 50 firms and none spend as much time and resources on training partners, mid-to-senior associates, and business professional managers to be effective, caring, and inclusive leaders. There is a huge feedback culture here - and feedback flows upward as well. The firm rewards amazing teachers/mentors, DEI champions, and innovators with firmwide recognition and a $10K bonus! Compared to friends' firms, our return to work policy (known as "Engaged and Empowered") is very reasonable and fair. We only need to come into the office 3 days/week and can work from home Monday and Friday.
The cafeteria in NY could use a little more variety.
- 5.0Jun 20, 2023IT LeaderCurrent Employee
Dechert focuses not only on delivering exceptional value to its customers, they also invest in the culture to make sure people are valued, supported, and work in an environment where you can be successful. The leadership team constantly mention the culture and recognize people.
There are not many negatives to working here. It is a large, prestigious global law firm which expects excellence in service internally and with its clients. Thus to be successful you need to be passionate about working here and focus on delivering based on your role.
- 5.0Aug 3, 2023AttorneyCurrent EmployeePhiladelphia, PA
The people in the Philadelphia office are so inviting and want to help you succeed.
The hours and unpredictability of work can be stressful
- 5.0Aug 7, 2023ManagerCurrent Employee, more than 5 yearsWashington, DC
Great work life balance and incredible team environment
Tech could be better but mostly everything is great
- 4.0Jul 25, 2023Legal SecretaryCurrent Employee, more than 10 yearsPalo Alto, CA
Pleasant atmosphere, good working relationship, good benefits and pay.
No advancements or other career opportunities. Lack of growth, expansion or profit sharing.1
- 4.0Mar 29, 2023Technical SupportFormer Employee, more than 3 yearsNew York, NY
- Hybrid Working Model - Personal Well Being Days Off on top of your Vacation! - Very Nice staff, and Approachable Partners, it was a really enjoyable experience. - They do care about your Work life Balance and invest in your growth and development - Beautiful Décor and Offices with stunning Views - Shared offices but only Summers/Falls, same cannot be said for other law firms that double or even triple up Associates/Staff in one space.
- As with all Big Law environments, lots of hours, and you will be on call nights and weekends if needed. - Trial Travel will become overwhelming after some time. - Some tough personalities to deal with - Red Tape a plenty!1
Dechert Reviews FAQs
Dechert has an overall rating of 3.9 out of 5, based on over 283 reviews left anonymously by employees. 73% of employees would recommend working at Dechert to a friend and 71% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.
73% of Dechert employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Dechert 3.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.0 for culture and values and 3.6 for career opportunities.