Dechert Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Henry Nassau

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "International law firm with great network throughout the world" (in 9 reviews)

• "Friendly helpful staff, nice office, good work life balance" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "There is always more that can be done, so finding a sustainable work/life balance is an ongoing challenge" (in 7 reviews)

• "Long hours, deep commitment and engagement are required to be successful" (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A great place to work"

I have been working at Dechert full-time

Pros

Great culture- people are genuinely warm, collaborative, down to earth, and approachable
    Top clients and work
    Entrepreneurial spirit
    Respect for work/life balance
    Committed to being a diverse and inclusive work place
    Best in class training and mentoring

Cons

Big law at any firm is a challenging career choice. Long hours, deep commitment and engagement are required to be successful.

Advice to Management

Keep being innovative and implementing great changes.

2. "Love it here, as much as I can love a biglaw firm"

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Dechert full-time

Pros

I know it's very touch and go depending on the partners and group that you work with. I have few complaints (the ones I have are typical of all big law firms - having to work late nights and weekends on occasion, or having demanding clients that want things yesterday) and truly like my work and the people at work.

Cons

Junior associates are hit or miss

3. "Run"

Pros

None I can think of.

Cons

Cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap

Advice to Management

Leave

4. "Associate"

I have been working at Dechert full-time

Pros

Some leading practices, particularly with respect to funds and litigation

Cons

Senior management out of touch.

Jul 30, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We review and take the feedback & comments seriously as we are looking to continuously improve. We would like to understand in more detail your comment & concern about... More

"No training"

I worked at Dechert full-time

Pros

Benefits are promising. Up-to-date software.

Cons

Only training offered was via portal. Lack of team efforts. No organization. Hours that offered zero work-life balance. No management.

Advice to Management

Train your employees properly and ensure their involvement in case strategy. Office management necessary in Chicago location.

Jun 29, 2018

Thank you for the feedback. We are continuously reviewing and enhancing our training programs. We do have a great deal of training that is delivered via eLearning as that is the most efficient way... More

6. "associate"

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Dechert full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

better hours than most biglaw

Cons

lack of diversity, lack of transparency

"Not Ideal"

Current Employee - Litigation Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Litigation Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Dechert full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some very kind and knowledgeable colleagues and support staff. With the right niche, mentors, and a healthy dose of luck, success is within reach.

Cons

Life in litigation at Dechert is akin to an episode of Survivor filmed on a desert island, full of associates who must compete for diminishing resources. Even Reality TV has comparative advantages over Dechert in its treatment of contestants, however. At the firm, when there is work, there is no rhyme or reason to how it is distributed, and arguably no functional assignment system at all. E-mails and calls to practice group management go unanswered. Associate strengths are ignored. Training is nominal at best and, after the first year, virtually non-existent.

Against this backdrop, Dechert leadership does not hold its associates in high regard—and examples abound. Take what happened in the litigation department last year: rather than share the burden when times were slow, the firm singled out about 15 associates on the short end of the stick and laid them off. It was not only ruthless, but also virtually unheard of among peer firms during non-recessionary times (and no less during a supposedly record year for the firm overall!) This came after Dechert dragged its feet on matching the new 180K salary scale for just about as long as it could. All firms care about maintaining profits, granted, but Dechert’s approach to treating its associates as statistics is striking.

The bottom line is this: if you hope to have a career here, or even to get meaningful experience, good luck. You will need a lot of it.

Advice to Management

Leverage your talent, provide greater opportunities, and treat associates fairly.

Apr 20, 2018

Your note is concerning to us and we take this feedback very seriously. At Dechert we take pride in having a culture where all people feel valued. We would like to have the opportunity to speak with... More

8. "Associate Attorney"

I have been working at Dechert full-time

Pros

Top-flight law firm, sophisticated clients, but still a very down-to-earth, collegial working atmosphere. Flexible, supportive leadership and management is willing to work on an individual basis with employees to find creative win-win solutions to various issues and challenges arising in the work relationship.

Cons

Can be high pressure around deadlines. Long hours to satisfy client demands tends to result in some degree of institutional collective myopia. Non-billable activities, mentoring programs, training, are all on "as time allows" basis".

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, I appreciate all the efforts to communicate and make the firm hierarchy as "flat" as possible. I believe the new "innovation initiative" will be an important positive factor in keeping the firm on the leading edge of evolution in law firm business models.

9. "Litigation Associate"

Current Employee - Associate Attorney in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Associate Attorney in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Dechert part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dechert is a good place to begin a career in litigation. The quality of the partners and associates (especially in Philadelphia) is unrivaled. The Philadelphia office very much rewards good work with more opportunities and more sophisticated assignments. If you are smart and good at what you do, class year means little. The money doesn’t hurt either. Don’t be fooled — despite what other Philadelphia firms claim — Dechert is the only Philly firm that actually has adopted the New York “money law” salary and bonus scale.

Cons

Some of the partners are not interested in mentoring and so will not go out of their way to advance your career. There is also very little chance of making partner and the firm does not make “counsel.”

Advice to Management

Encourage and incentivize more active firm citizenship by partners. Invest in making Phil’s Associates partners, they are the smartest across all the offices.

Jan 30, 2018

Thank you for your review. We are very proud of our accomplishments and the outstanding quality of the work that our partners and associates provide to our clients and are happy to know you are too... More

10. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Dechert full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunities for internal promotions.
    Supports employees professional development through training, and mentorship.
    Competitive pay

Cons

I don't have any cons at the moment