Deichmann Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Deichmann Founder Heinrich Deichmann
Heinrich Deichmann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • llt mit der Filialleitung, deshalb kann ich nur positiv berichten (in 4 reviews)

• Good training programs even though manager doesn (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Many staff don't return after having children (stores and head office) as there's no flexibility or flexitime to have a life outside of work (in 7 reviews)

• Pay is pretty bad - minimum wage (in 5 reviews)

1. "Working there"

I worked at Deichmann full-time

Pros

Super place to work! Nice people. Creative atmosphere.

Cons

I only had good experiences.

2. "Job insight"

I worked at Deichmann part-time

Pros

the times were very flexible

Cons

the salary was not great

"Complete waste of time"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

I worked at Deichmann part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good way to start retail, get to meet some great coworkers

Cons

The workload placed on you is unbearable. Most weeks I've heard all the weekday staff complaining about constant stock movements and the targets are an absolute nightmare. There is no incentive to sell any add on products as the manager is the only one who receives credit for store performance (and our manager is one of the worst sellers on our team)
    The pay is absolutely shocking, literally minimum wage and if you were on a weekend contract you would earn about 200 a month.. And holiday allowance would be used without me asking for it, so I had no hours left when I needed them
    All the staff I did work with would consistently complain about hours and it's difficult to balance hometime activities or uni work around it, but when you need the hours they are nowhere to be seen
    Holidays are a joke, no time off around Christmas and extremely difficult to get any time off at all during summer holidays simply because it got a little busier.
    Our manager would constantly belittle us if we socialised for 30 seconds yet would extend his breaks for up to 2 hours if he felt like it, have multiple conversations with other managers on the phone throughout the day about his personal life or where he was next going on holiday and if I opened with him he would go for breakfast during the opening hour and I would not see him until the next staff member came in store (usually around 12, 3 hours on a shopfloor alone on Saturdays can be horrific) yet because he is so pally with all of the head office and other store managers, any official complaint made against him would probably fall at the first hurdle

Advice to Management

Think about the little people who actually help keep the store afloat rather than the managers who sit in back offices firing orders at everyone. I'm sure all staff would like an all expense paid trip and free meals, not just the managers and head office.
    Also try to think of a better way to actually encourage staff to sell products rather than ruthlessly targeting them and pitting districts against each other, I'm sure having a reward system for whole team performances rather than "have an extra 20 pounds" will make the staff actually care about selling it, rather than thinking if they are going to get fired because they can't sell 20 gel insoles a day

"Company rapidly going down hill"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Deichmann full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Met some good people over the years

Cons

Lower payroll budgets while work load increases every year
    No acknowledgement of achievements by regional manager
    Mistakes in company operations which leads to store staffs jobs being made more difficult
    No pay rise for managers last year while being expected to work overtime which is unpaid

Advice to Management

I would not recommend working for Deichmann
    Work load increases while payroll budgets are cut down, so much is expected of staff such as shoecare,ship to home and productivity while as a manager you don’t have a lot to offer them in terms of contracted hours, you are also told to cut everyone’s hours down at Christmas (due to mistakes by head office)
    Overtime isn’t compulsory but it is expected and you are not left with much choice when you have big store moves to do that take hours and not enough extra payroll to do it
    Used to be a nice company to work for now you are not left with much time for customer service as there is always so much else going on
    Do not take this job if you can’t do much manual work either

5. "A classic scam"

Former Employee - SALES CLERK in Kragujevac (Serbia)
    Former Employee - SALES CLERK in Kragujevac (Serbia)

I worked at Deichmann part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Regular salary,I can not remember

Cons

Poor organization of work,there is a plenty of room for abuse of employees,work for 12 hours and pay 6,forbidden conversation with colleagues,classical mobbing.

Advice to Management

To check what shop managers are doing and what they do to their employees that make the company in a bad voice.

"No walk in the Park"

Current Employee - Manager in Newport, Newport, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in Newport, Newport, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Deichmann full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great colleagues from bottom to top, great company ethics, bonus scheme, open communcation

Cons

it's retail so as you would expect - long unsociable hours, hard graft

"mixed feelings these days"

I have been working at Deichmann part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

lovely customers & group of people to work with good training systems chance to progress within the company is good

Cons

pay is far too low budgets too low and too tight emphasis on wrong areas like shoecare instead of overall sales

Advice to Management

go back about 5 years and everyone will be happier

"Head office, the best job in the world"

I have been working at Deichmann part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Absolutely none unless you happen to work, sorry turn up at head office!

Cons

It would appear that if you happen to work in a store you get absolutely sod all. The place to be at this time of the year is head office, actually all year round to be perfectly honest!

Advice to Management

The heads of all depts should take note, people are getting rather tired of it. I wonder what the powers at be would say if they couldn’t get hold of anybody because the store was closed because they were having a picnic, I ask you! Do as I say, not as I do springs to mind

"The good ones have gone"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Deichmann full-time

Pros

Used to be a well run family business

Cons

New senior management just talks about productivity and shoecare.

Having worked across many stores and working with many store managers and district managers I decided to leave when I saw what happened when a so-called new role was made and how my management team were treated.
    Firstly a new role was introduced and a new person brought in to fill it, this happened to be a friend of the boss!Then another new role was made available about 3 months later and surprise surprise this role was given to the new guy (yes there was an assessment but we all knew who would get the job before the assesment) then the original role he was given when joining disappeared , such a farce. I have seen 2 managers who are so much better than the current, one gent who currently still works there and one guy who left shortly after the event who was just brilliant and felt forced out.
    NEPOTISM at it's finest and backed by the company !

Sort yourselves out Deichmann, keep it simple stop putting too much pressure on the teams to sell shoe care and concentrate on selling shoes again.
    You could be great if you spent a little more money on staffing levels and got the work life balance right, oh and don't forget the nepotism !!!!! Stop it !!!!!

Advice to Management

Don't lose the good ones!

"Part time sales advisor"

I have been working at Deichmann part-time

Pros

A nice place to start your career. And the job duties are not really tough.

Cons

Low pay, and not much opportunity for overtime.