Deichmann Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Deichmann Founder Heinrich Deichmann
Heinrich Deichmann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "llt mit der Filialleitung, deshalb kann ich nur positiv berichten" (in 5 reviews)

• "Good training programs even though manager doesn’t use them" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Many staff don't return after having children (stores and head office) as there's no flexibility or flexitime to have a life outside of work" (in 7 reviews)

• "Pay is pretty bad - minimum wage" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Working there"

I worked at Deichmann full-time

Pros

Super place to work! Nice people. Creative atmosphere.

Cons

I only had good experiences.

2. "Work experience"

Pros

Friendly staff
    Lots of stock management

Cons

Sometimes a bit boring when no customers.

3. "Not good"

I worked at Deichmann part-time

Pros

Discount on some low quality shoes you’ll never wear

Cons

It’s a shame a company that comes from such a progressive country could be so archaic. I worked here when I was 17, coming from a job that paid me over £8 an hour - to making almost half of that. I was underpaid, management and team leaders were rude, the store was dead and empty. It was just awful.

Advice to Management

Dont give your new employees a copy of “How did you get so rich Mr Deichmann”, we all know how he got rich: exploiting minimum wage workers.

4. "Amazing but ended tragically"

Former Employee - Trainee Store Manager in Coventry, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Trainee Store Manager in Coventry, England (UK)

I worked at Deichmann full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Store manager at Coventry and Regional manager were amazing. My interview went perfectly and the regional manager seemed very understanding, down to Earth and professional, same goes for the store manager.

Store manager is someone you can look up to, especially if you want to progress and follow their steps in their retail career, same applies for the regional manager.

I was very excited to join the company after meeting with the store manager and regional manager as they seemed very professional and I felt I could learn a lot from them.

Cons

Unfortunately, my previous employer left a false reference for me. The HR department took it in to account instantly and terminated my contract without asking me any questions first or giving me any chance.

If the reference was depicted and looked at thoroughly, it was clear the reference was a lie and vindictive.

Advice to Management

If you interview someone and it all seems great, please don’t just judge them on a reference from an individual — question it — speak to the new recruit. Why would they put someone down as a reference if it was going to be bad? Why would the new employee try and battle their case if the reference was so true? Give the employee a chance.

5. "what they are like at work?"

I worked at Deichmann full-time

Pros

amazing atmosphere to be involved in

Cons

customers vary, some nice though

"So depressing"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Derby, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Derby, England (UK)

I have been working at Deichmann part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Other sales assistants were lovely to work with

Cons

Customers are soo rude, manager and supervisor have no respect for their employees and the manual work expected of you for minimum wadge is a joke, i feel more like a cleaner than a sales assistant.

Advice to Management

Either pay more or lower work load otherwise people are just going to keep leaving after a few months

"its ok"

I worked at Deichmann full-time

Pros

training is managed quite well

Cons

poor management, long hours not great pay, too many pointless store moves.

8. "Job insight"

I worked at Deichmann part-time

Pros

the times were very flexible

Cons

the salary was not great

"Complete waste of time"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

I worked at Deichmann part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good way to start retail, get to meet some great coworkers

Cons

The workload placed on you is unbearable. Most weeks I've heard all the weekday staff complaining about constant stock movements and the targets are an absolute nightmare. There is no incentive to sell any add on products as the manager is the only one who receives credit for store performance (and our manager is one of the worst sellers on our team)
    The pay is absolutely shocking, literally minimum wage and if you were on a weekend contract you would earn about 200 a month.. And holiday allowance would be used without me asking for it, so I had no hours left when I needed them
    All the staff I did work with would consistently complain about hours and it's difficult to balance hometime activities or uni work around it, but when you need the hours they are nowhere to be seen
    Holidays are a joke, no time off around Christmas and extremely difficult to get any time off at all during summer holidays simply because it got a little busier.
    Our manager would constantly belittle us if we socialised for 30 seconds yet would extend his breaks for up to 2 hours if he felt like it, have multiple conversations with other managers on the phone throughout the day about his personal life or where he was next going on holiday and if I opened with him he would go for breakfast during the opening hour and I would not see him until the next staff member came in store (usually around 12, 3 hours on a shopfloor alone on Saturdays can be horrific) yet because he is so pally with all of the head office and other store managers, any official complaint made against him would probably fall at the first hurdle

Advice to Management

Think about the little people who actually help keep the store afloat rather than the managers who sit in back offices firing orders at everyone. I'm sure all staff would like an all expense paid trip and free meals, not just the managers and head office.
    Also try to think of a better way to actually encourage staff to sell products rather than ruthlessly targeting them and pitting districts against each other, I'm sure having a reward system for whole team performances rather than "have an extra 20 pounds" will make the staff actually care about selling it, rather than thinking if they are going to get fired because they can't sell 20 gel insoles a day

"Company rapidly going down hill"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Deichmann full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Met some good people over the years

Cons

Lower payroll budgets while work load increases every year
    No acknowledgement of achievements by regional manager
    Mistakes in company operations which leads to store staffs jobs being made more difficult
    No pay rise for managers last year while being expected to work overtime which is unpaid

Advice to Management

I would not recommend working for Deichmann
    Work load increases while payroll budgets are cut down, so much is expected of staff such as shoecare,ship to home and productivity while as a manager you don’t have a lot to offer them in terms of contracted hours, you are also told to cut everyone’s hours down at Christmas (due to mistakes by head office)
    Overtime isn’t compulsory but it is expected and you are not left with much choice when you have big store moves to do that take hours and not enough extra payroll to do it
    Used to be a nice company to work for now you are not left with much time for customer service as there is always so much else going on
    Do not take this job if you can’t do much manual work either