Delhaize Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Delhaize President & CEO Frans Muller
Frans Muller

Pros
Cons
  • pay salary & raises could be improved, not much room for advancement, does not boost employers morale when pulling long hrs (in 3 reviews)

• The rate of pay for entry level employees leaves much to be desired (in 4 reviews)

"Delhaize!"

Current Employee - Central Station Supervisor in Salisbury, NC
    Current Employee - Central Station Supervisor in Salisbury, NC

I have been working at Delhaize full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work with Fantastic people!

Cons

health insurance not so great

2. "Perishable selector/forklift operator"

Current Employee - Perishable Selector in Dunn, NC
    Current Employee - Perishable Selector in Dunn, NC

I have been working at Delhaize full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent money. Good hours. Decent for trying to get back up on your feet.

Cons

Extremely physical job. Understaffed 50% of the time.

3. "Decent Company"

Former Employee - Dairy/Frozen Clerk in Holly Springs, NC
    Former Employee - Dairy/Frozen Clerk in Holly Springs, NC

I worked at Delhaize full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management will work around your schedule if you are a performer

Cons

Not much room for advancement, lower pay then competitiors

Advice to Management

Cheap work isn't good, good work isn't cheap

4. "Great company"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Salisbury, NC
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Salisbury, NC

I have been working at Delhaize full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flex work schedule, competitive pay, great environment

Cons

Health insurance is horrendous, merger is uncertain.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open and forthcoming with information around merger.

"Culture is Corrosive But It Depends on the Department in Many Circumstances"

Former Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Salisbury, NC
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Salisbury, NC

I worked at Delhaize full-time

Pros

1) Salaries
    2) Jobs Consistently Available
    3) Teamwork...occasionally with good folks
    4) Work/Life Balance in certain positions
    5) Meeting technology

Cons

1) Good old boy network is strong
    2) Accountability of leadership
    3) Corporate Politics
    4) Micromanagement
    5) Managers, not Leaders
    6) Technology
    7) Communication
    8) Opportunities for Upward Mobility
    9) Training is extremely poor and little documentation to detail how to perform most jobs effectively
    10) Lack of tolerance for new ideas, tools and processes without undue red tape
    11) Consistent re-orgs
    12) Praise and recognition is severely lacking
    13) Management needs professional empathy and communication training

"Warehouse Supervisor"

Former Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Disputanta, VA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Disputanta, VA

I worked at Delhaize full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is fair and working for the warehousing side of the company will definitely prepare up-and-coming mangers for challenging work environment.

Cons

Lack of structure / vision. During the last decade the company has gone through multiple mergers (current merger with AHOLD just closed over the weekend). This created a divide in a unified company culture.

"DO NOT WALK, BUT RUN, VERY FAR AWAY!!"

Current Employee - IT Note Taker in Salisbury, NC
    Current Employee - IT Note Taker in Salisbury, NC

I have been working at Delhaize full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best thing I can say is I am in final round interviews with several companies so I'm fairly confident I won't have to be here very much longer.

Cons

Do not or cannot hire/retain talent. Digital marketing program is a joke. From entry level to leadership - zero experience in digital and not willing to admit it, or have the skills to hire appropriate talent. IT is run by the business and they are not good at it. Software development projects are a hot mess due to execution being in the hands of inexperienced business people rather than experienced IT people. The limited resources with real talent and experience in IT are ignored because they come from "outside". Women are dismissed or ignored, but when their ideas are presented by men they are appreciated. Contractors are valued over FTEs repeatedly. In 35+ years in the workforce, I've never worked with so many disrespectful, unprofessional and rude people in one company. If you didn't "grow up" in the company, they treat you like an idiot. I can't speak for the in-store work experience, but the corporate office is a miserable experience. Do not expect to have an intelligent conversation with the business ever, and with IT until you have been there at least a year. The new CIO they are so proud of actually said in orientation, "new people shouldn't attempt to contribute in the first 2 to 3 months". This is a perfect example of the wasteful nature of the company. If you have real experience, do yourself a favor and take it to a company that will appreciate it. If you wanted to be treated like an imbecile and take notes, Delhaize is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Either live out your corporate values day-to-day or have the decency get rid of them. Have the character to be honest about the corporate culture. Stop hiring experience if you don't intend to use it. Stop encouraging and promoting "leaders" who treat experienced, professional employees like something on the bottom of their shoe. Train VPs on protected classes before you get sued. Saying "People our age don't understand ...." is ageism and against the law. Stop spending millions of dollars a year on an embarrassing digital program. Really, you look stupid. Give your digital program over to Ahold/Peapod. Expect your marketing managers and leadership to actually be accountable for the money they spend (waste). In most companies, that's part of the job. And if you intend to stay in business, someone should tell your advertising and marketing folks that, unless they have figured out how to cheat death, new customers ARE important to your business. Mostly, get a clue.

8. "Cashier"

Former Employee - General Assistant and Cashier in Newport, RI
    Former Employee - General Assistant and Cashier in Newport, RI

I worked at Delhaize (More than a year)

Pros

Very professional environment and up-to-date retail system.

Cons

No cons. I recommend it.

9. "Category Management"

Former Employee - 'Temp' Category Analyst in Salisbury, NC
    Former Employee - 'Temp' Category Analyst in Salisbury, NC

I worked at Delhaize (Less than a year)

Pros

I was on a team that has a good boss. I had no issues with my manager. Not micromanaged at all.

Cons

Contractors are referred to as 'temps'. I was hired in as a contract category analyst only to find out that my manager did not even know I was coming until right before I arrived. There is a steep learning curve to systems and processes which I know I could have learned faster than others, but team members were not happy I was there. (I think they were threatened since there has been one merger already and another one about to occur.) I was told on my second day of employment that many were upset about contractors being hired in as category analysts as opposed to category assistants. As such, training was horrible and only one person actually took the time to train me on certain things. However, this person also resented that I was hired in as an analyst and I feel she offered minimal information. The other two assistants on my team were absolutely useless in helping with training....one helped while the main trainer/coworker was out on vacation but her training consisted of being copied on emails so I could use for future reference. Other folks in my department simply pretended I was not there. It was like pulling teeth to get work. Not a good working environment so I quit.

Advice to Management

Make sure you have the need for someone, especially a 'temp' before hiring them. I left a permanent job with benefits to take this since I thought it would be an excellent opportunity. It turned out to be a nightmare and has definitely left a bad taste in my mouth of this organization.

10. "Great place to work but give new employees a chance"

Former Employee - Assistant Customer Service Manager in Monroe, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Customer Service Manager in Monroe, NC

I worked at Delhaize (Less than a year)

Pros

Hired on as an Assistant Customer Service Manager. Had some prior experience supervising in Grocery retail. Store Manager gave me a chance and worked with me even after his prior Customer Service Manager quit on him.

Cons

Little time to get used to new systems, new rules and policies and you are expected to excel right out of the gate. Some guidance given but if you don't excel fast enough at a higher level of management ESPECIALLY if you are are hired from outside the company expect to be let go in your first 90 days.

Advice to Management

Store level management was great. Always there to help. District management, however, is another matter entirely. District Managers need to realize that hires from outside Delhaize will take a little longer to settle into their roles. If your Store Manager and other management tell you they are working with their hire then believe them and DON'T override their decision ESPECIALLY when they have made a procedural error that will correct itself.