Dev Technology Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Susie Sylvester

1. "Corporate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Dev Technology Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee-centric company with true collaboration throughout. Management is accessible. Fun atmosphere. Company throws great parties and feeds its employees well (they keep snacks and beverages on hand!) Managers treat their employees really well and make them feel appreciated. Great benefits! I feel extremely lucky to work here.

Cons

Everyone works in different spaces, so it feels disconnected at times. BUT we are moving in a couple of months to a great new space so that will all go away!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Jan 26, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback! I'm looking forward to being all together in the new space.

2. "Database Developer"

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Reston, VA

I have been working at Dev Technology Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Since I moved to DC 16 years ago, this is the only government contracting company that I would recommend to a friend that was currently employed. Employee centric. Great office. I believe that they avoid chasing the many low-hanging-fruit government contracts that can be unpleasant. I feel like the company seeks out the better developers rather than just finding heads to fill the positions listed in a contract.

Cons

It's just the nature of government contracting that there is a risk that some projects will be chaotic on the customer side. I have not experienced that yet.

Jan 26, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for the feedback! I love hearing that you would recommend us to a friend who is employed. That says a lot. We execute our detailed strategy to make sure the work we seek out is a good match ... More

3. "There are great opportunities at this small, technically advanced company"

I have been working at Dev Technology Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at Dev Technology for over six years and have seen the company grow significantly as it continues to earn the respect of their federal customers. Dev Tech employs some of the most talented software developers I've had the pleasure of working with. Dev encourages developers to take on new challenges. I've had the opportunity to greatly expand my skill set and role on projects and within the company. The management staff understands how to bring the best out of their people. It is no wonder why many of the best people stay with Dev Tech for many years.

Cons

At any small technical consulting company in the DC metro area there are going to be limits to the client opportunities available, which could mean limited technology exposure or undesirable work locations. The aforementioned issues don't escape Dev Technology--their senior leadership is dedicated to improving the company's staff through training opportunities and other unique initiatives for employees to share and cultivate new skills. Dev Technology understands its path to growth is through its employees and values their feedback greatly. I always feel that my feedback or opinion is appreciated, and I have seen multiple improvement programs started based of employee involvement.

Advice to Management

Continue to maintain your great culture as you grow!

Mar 9, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to provide detailed feedback. Our priority is to maintain our great culture as we are on a faster growth trajectory. Each team member impacts our culture with their ... More

4. "I love my job again"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Reston, VA

I have been working at Dev Technology Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked in the IT industry for 24 years. I had gotten to the point that I was quite burned out and looking for a change. One year ago I left the very large corporation that I was working for to come to work for Dev Technology. After one year on the job I can honestly say I love my job again. When I interviewed for the job I was intrigued by the excitement that the people interviewing me showed. They had a vision for the project that sounded great. I told myself not too get too hopeful. A lot of things get said in an interview that don't always come to pass. After a year on the job it has exceeded my expectations. I work for great people and have a great team. We all have a stake in the projects that our team works on. Everyone helps everyone else. The environment here allows us to mentor and collaborate with each other in a way that I have not experienced before.

Cons

I have only been here for a year. Still looking for the cons.

Advice to Management

Continue to be available to employees - open discussions are very valuable to employee satisfaction.

Feb 13, 2015 – CEO

To hear that you love your job and feel part of a great team is what our leadership strives for. Your feedback fuels us to keep going strong and continue focusing on keeping and improving on our ... More

"Best Job I've had in 26 years!"

Current Employee - Senior Remedy Developer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Remedy Developer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Dev Technology Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Managegment truly wants you to succeed. They are trying to bring people up through the ranks, giving people who have a interest in Business Development or Management to go those routes. Additionally, they don't want you to feel like you are stagnant in your current role.

Because it is a small company, you have a much more intimate working relationship with upper management. This is a huge plus because I never feel like I can't pick up the phone and call.

Cons

Because it is a company that is mostly involved in Federal Contracts, you live and die by how the Federal Government is currently spending money. When the government is spending, there is lots to do, when they are not, things can get thin. However Dev Technology makes every possible effort to never lose a good person. I've seen them go to great lengths to lessen the stress and strain of lean times.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Don't forget that the most important thing we can do is to make sure that team members have the ability to maintain and keep their technical skills "fresh"!

6. "One of the best career decisions I've made"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Dev Technology Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A small company with an open and honest culture that puts clients and employees ahead of bottom line. The company has strong ethics. It's a growing company and those truly interested in assisting with the growth, can roll up their sleeves and pitch in. Ability to balance work and life.

Cons

For those employees with specific technical skill sets there are not always job openings or opportunities when they may want or need to change. However, the company does try it's best to retain employees and find other opportunities, the size sometimes limits that ability.

Advice to Management

Keep the dialogue with employees going. Increase transparency on corporate goals and the strategy to get there.

Apr 11, 2014 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad that you see the value in our culture. I agree with you that we need to increase opportunities. Our management team's top priority is to expand our client base ... More

"company consistently got worse over time."

Former Employee - Remedy Developer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Remedy Developer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Dev Technology Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No micromanagement, opportunities to pick up skills for highly motivated people.

Cons

salary increases don't budge past 1-2% year after year
    There is no stability as far as projects. Unfortunately, the company does not get prime contracts with the goverment, so you wind up working for 3 different entities, each with a management layer as a subcontractor (not including the goverment!). This translates into filling three sets of timecards each week.
    Management is more concrened about having your timecards filled on time that the quality of your work or the work life balance of it's employees.

Advice to Management

If you send a manager to a customer site, he should be professional, technically competent, and not a sales rep that relies on the old boy network.
    please develop an adequate training budget, make the process for getting it not seem so onerous. It is great to challenge people to pick up new skills, but technical training should be part of the deal.

Mar 7, 2014 – CEO

I am proud of the values that our company holds which is exceeding our clients expectations and valuing the individual needs of our employees. We strive to deliver with professionalism while keeping ... More

"Dynamic company with great potential. Would recommend to others!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

Pros

Great people. Responsive management to employees and their requests. Benefits are great.... Management is small and accessible. Compensation is above industry average. Talk about collaboration, but do not see much in action.

Cons

Lack of career growth. No name recognization outside of DHS.

Advice to Management

Change nothing.

9. "Analyst"

Pros

Great place to work great atmosphere

Cons

No complaints here thus far

Mar 9, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback!

10. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Dev Technology Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I came to work at Dev Technology because it seemed like they really cared about their employees and clients. 5 years later and this has only been proven further. I have really great coworkers, and everyone here is super smart, considerate, and hard working. My coworkers make my job a lot easier and more enjoyable than it could be otherwise.

Cons

I don’t really have any that are worth listing, unless you want to hear about how we sometimes run out of snacks. The management team works hard to address issues that can be common to small businesses and federal contractors, such as projects ending and finding new opportunities for employees.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! I really enjoy working with everyone.

Feb 13, 2015 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback. I agree, the Dev Team is a group of smart people that create a caring work family. I'm proud of the team we are. And yes, we are snackers! I love that we've added fresh ... More