DialogTech Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
DialogTech CEO Irv Shapiro
Irv Shapiro

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A great chance to work in a fast growing company with a great niche and products (in 7 reviews)

• Work life balance is respected honestly by Ifbyphone (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • They pride themselves on hiring "nice" people, but senior management doesn't even take the time to learn peoples names (in 3 reviews)

• The entire sales team has to be very agile (in 2 reviews)

1. "Business Development Manager"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DialogTech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, met some of my best friends here. Fun atmosphere, supportive leadership. Great career trajectory especially if first starting out in an entry-level position. Working hard and a *positive attitude* goes a long way here. Awesome break room with ping pong, bags, basketball, Mario Kart, free breakfast (cereal, and free snacks, company happy hour starts at 4pm on Fridays. Very laid back organization with lots of ambitious people.

Cons

I’m very happy at DialogTech, there are really only a few cons. No trips/sales incentives that you’d find at other larger companies, but is somewhat to be expected with a small/ medium company. I don’t think the hiring of ‘SWAN’s (Smart, Works hard, Ambitious, Nice) holds true anymore when vetting competent applicants in all levels of the organization or properly vetting culture fit.
    Lack of communication between sales and marketing is a big one that causes dissonance between lead generation and sales. No proactive effort to create a bond or teamwork among sales & marketing teams, especially with the prospecting team (Account Development Reps) who have no way of proactively learning from the sales team because of department organization and separation. Makes it harder for them to understand what are quality leads, how to set quality appointments for the sales team, or to learn sales skills needed to advance in their careers. This is the biggest con in my opinion.

Advice to Management

See cons.

"Too old to be a startup, too new to have stable growth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at DialogTech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Salaries are competitive if you're managing existing accounts (not Sales), and if you land a good portfolio, there's quarterly travel involved for on-site meet and greets.

- Downtown location is convenient with lots of food access near Willis Tower. Office is in an old building that's been refurbished to look more modern startup, free snacks and drinks in the kitchen, ping-pong table, video games, and frequently free lunches.

- The building boasts lots of free events for their lessees, like happy hours, lunches, and stylists.

Cons

- There is no onboarding training program, and senior management consistently claims this is to encourage hiring "self starters" and "entrepreneurial spirits", in reality this sets far too many people up for failure because there's no natural learning process to understand SourceTrak and LeadFlow. If you're afraid of investing time and money to train your employees, that's a fundamental problem.

- Your incentive bonuses are based on the strength of your portfolio, so it's a 50/50 chance you'll land some accounts that are happy to renew expensive contracts, or you'll be scraping bottom of the barrel for small businesses to pay for overpriced service fees. They fired the top account earners middle of 2016 because they were making 6-figure salaries, and turnover rate in the sales department is abysmal. Management will also keep most large (and profitable) accounts to themselves, it boosts their incentive bonus pay, and seems they don't trust their direct reports with them.

- Senior leadership and HR instituted a personal and professional growth tracking program, but middle management thinks it's absolute bogus and doesn't bother to speak to their employees about where they'd like to see themselves in the future, or their career goals. So you're getting 2 hour seminars about self improvement that your bosses don't even buy into.

- Unlimited PTO should really read "PTO limited by what your direct management considers appropriate to take off for your role and workload." Everyone (and I mean everyone) is uncomfortable taking time off because it's a topic that's brought up as a slight against you in annual and semi-annual reviews.

- Very cliquey culture, the typical high school group mentality among almost every department, you've really got to go out of your way to make any connections.

Advice to Management

Dialogtech/Ifbyphone is well past the startup phase, start acting like a real company, or else admit you're just waiting to get as many clients as possible before you sell to more prestigious companies like IBM or Microsoft.
    Irv Shapiro also needs to stop making public speeches to his employees, there is zero morale and he's on his own island.

3. ""The Easiest Company You Will Work For""

Former Employee - ADR in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - ADR in Chicago, IL

I worked at DialogTech full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay well, and have good benefits. Free Food and Drinks. They give you many free books that will aid in your growth as a sales person or ADR.

Cons

When they reach out to you they make an ADR position sound like sales. They have "unlimited" vacation, but if you need a day you're always asked to work part of it from home. This leads to feeling guilty for asking for a day. You're given a list of targets to go after, but you're not allowed to target half of them due to their in house index formula. Seen people get in trouble for targeting/setting meetings with companies they were provided. They have many unspoken rules that are never explained or spoken about until someone crosses the line. And if you begin to fail in the role they assign you to enterprise accounts but still expect you to set as many meetings as if you were working mid market. Lastly your goal is to set meetings in this role cause you get paid extra just for meetings set. Not size, not closed deals, not even if they show up. just setting the meeting.

Advice to Management

The ADR position needs a better leader than it had when i was there. No one on the team respected him, and almost everyone went to one individual on the ADR team for advice and help. Also if you set a high index meeting it shouldn't count the same as a low index meeting, that is sales 101 and is in the books you provided.

DialogTech Response

Mar 17, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for sharing your impressions about the ADR role. You are correct that we ask our team to focus their prospecting on companies that meet a specific profile as identified via our prospect... More

4. "Smart people . . . challenging work . . . opportunity to grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

A great chance to work in a fast growing company with a great niche and products. Fun to work around smart people who work hard to succeed. Great balance of the informality and youth of a start-up, but with enough discipline and structure to succeed as a mid-sized Tech company. Lots of future opportunity for the company and its employees to grow. Good collaboration across various teams in the organization. Management is committed to transparency and helping employees grow their careers

Cons

There's always lots of work to be done, and constant challenge of doing the things to position for the future while still trying to get all of our "day jobs" done. Takes some time to ramp up and learn the products/services offered, as they take a while to understand.

Advice to Management

Keep up the efforts to perpetuate the culture. The monthly stand-ups and other communication are much appreciated. Just continue doing the things you're doing to optimize our efforts to grow our market share and opportunities

5. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at DialogTech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture, Benefits, ability to move up in the organization, job security

Cons

Sometimes a micro-manage type environment, not always aware of pitfalls of product, could innovate more

Advice to Management

Keep the culture in place and continue to innovate and give your employees the freedom to be creative

6. "Great place to be engaged and help solve challenges"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DialogTech full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company hires SWANs and it's great to work with collaborative colleagues. There are challenges as with every fast growing company but the culture to rise above the challenges and succeed is what's enjoyable.

Cons

We all want to be able to move faster than we can - when you have something that you know the market can benefit from - you want to get out there louder, broader and faster - not a bad challenge to have.

Advice to Management

Keep going - keep the teams as engaged as they are now...

7. "I'm PROUD to work here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DialogTech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- everyone gets a Mac
    - The company INVESTS in their employees through training, and buying us technologies that make our jobs and life easier
    -the unlimited drinks and snacks- not just canned soda. SNAPPLE!
    - Management is on your side! There's no crazy hierarchy schedule- they know the real work gets done on the individual employee basis.
    - Casual dress code. you can wear whatever you want, every single day of the week
    - UNLIMITED paid vacation. Yes, that's right- take your time, go on a vacay- just be ready to get back to work.

Cons

- There is a few mean girls, but this comes with the territory

8. "Great Culture, Smart People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

It's definitely a work-hard, play-hard mentality at DialogTech. Everyone is really smart and fun to work with. A lot of people are actually friends outside the office. The environment is also very laid back. It's not uncommon to see someone jamming out on a guitar or playing video games in the common area at random hours of the day.

In terms of professional development, our CEO and execs are very invested in the future of each employee. They just implemented a new growth program that gives us more control over our careers. We can decide how we want to advance our skills and achieve our own goals rather than the higher ups dictating what we need to do. Managers act more as mentors and will help us work towards our individual professional goals. You're not treated like a number here, which is a breath of fresh air.

Cons

I honestly haven't seen any major cons worthy to note. If you're unable to manage your workload and need constant hand holding then you probably won't do well here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and always be approachable.

9. "Great company to work at"

Current Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DialogTech full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the things that I like most about DialogTech is the culture, it is definitely a work hard play hard environment. You are given the freedom to do your job and are trusted to do it, I never feel like I am being micromanaged. The people here are also great, everyone is extremely friendly and welcoming. Managers want you to grow with the company and give you the resources to do it. Also, a ton of great benefits like unlimited vacation, flexible work hours, ping pong, fully stocked fridge and snacks.

Cons

Comprehensive benefits but no 401k matching

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

10. "Potential to change the marketing world"

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DialogTech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People want to win, they believe that phone calls are key to commerce in certain industries. Lots of hard working smart people that have great attitudes

Cons

Too many opportunities, not enough developers. Until recently struggled with messaging and market positioning but has been helped with new CMO