Dice Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Bob Melk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Customer service needs to get proactive on the phone, not just reactive (in 3 reviews)

• Job board industry is in transition, can DHI evolve and stay relevant (in 3 reviews)

1. "Moving forward!"

I have been working at Dice full-time

Pros

Awesome company taking the right steps to improve the business, products and culture. Great co-workers, excellent benefits/vacation package.

Cons

Need to improve communication across the business.

Advice to Management

Things are moving in the right direction, still need to address communication issues across the business.

2. "Customer Success Manager"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Urbandale, IA

I have been working at Dice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for Dice has really opened my eyes to how much someone can actually enjoy their job. I have worked across a variety of industries with a variety of companies and this is the first company I have seen invest so much into the growth and development of their employees. Here are a few great things about this place:

1. The People! I love the team I work with, and I get along well with those on other teams too. There are occasional hang ups between Sales & Support teams, but that is and will always be an age old struggle of service over profits. Any time there has been a perceived issue that can not be addressed by specific individuals we have a management team that is willing to step in and find a resolution. Said management team also is invested in the success of their employees, they listen and are genuinely involved in your personal and professional growth.

2. Benefits. We have a great PTO system, Health insurance, 401k match, etc. The kind of flexibility offered for parents, those dealing with health or family emergencies, in unparalleled to anything I have experienced or heard of elsewhere.

3. Opportunities for growth. If you want to make this place a career, and work your way up the ladder you have every opportunity. Even if you are happy in your current role, you have the option to take on different projects and become more involved through leadership mentoring, product testing, clubs, groups etc.

4. Casual work environment. I have held positions where a suit & tie or dress & heels is expected, and if you don't comply you are automatically an outcast. Dice embraces individuality and your allowed to express yourself (within reason!) with your personal style. You can absolutely dress up if that's what you like, or if you show up in jeans and a t-shirt no one will look twice either. It's about the quality of your work, not the quality of your closet and I love that.

Cons

Dice - or rather the parent company, DHI has been going through a lot of changes including divesting some branches and changing the management organization to focus on a tech-first initiative with more streamlined departments. As someone with a business background this makes sense, it's what needs to be done to let these brands & departments thrive. Unfortunately, some employees seem to think of this in a very negative "doomsday" manner, which really isn't the case and sheds negative light on the company, unduly so.

Instead of thinking about it in a negative way, they should consider that these brands are finally being let go in order to grow in their respective fields (oil, energy, health) and stop being held back by the needs of other branches they don't have something in common with. Dice is niche - it will stay niche in order to thrive at being the best.

In terms of management organization, we do have a lot of managers, but they each have important roles. The streamlining process has been taken on in order to help improve direct communication between low-mid- and top levels of management. While we are seeing some people leave, the company has given them an option to stay and re-define their prior roles. It is by choice that they are moving elsewhere.

So yes, there are some negative employees in the office, and yes, there are a lot of changes occurring within the company but guess what? That's business people! Get over it or move on to something else.

Advice to Management

Continue to touch base with employees and listen as well as address the concerns you hear about. You have been doing a great job leading us through this transition, but continue to hold people (at base level as well as management level) accountable for their behavior and initiatives assigned to them.

"Customer Success Manager"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Urbandale, IA

I have been working at Dice full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dice is a great company. Fellow employees don't know how good they have it.

We are a small company and everyone works hard to do there jobs. I've worked for huge companies with 10,000+ employees --where you are just a number.

At Dice you aren't just a number. It feels good to work on projects to help your team without being super micromanaged and being able to work directly with management with your feedback taken seriously by them. At other companies I've worked for you are there to do one thing your job and that's it then expect to get a raise at the end of the year by doing just that--and nothing else.

At Dice you have a chance to really prove yourself and how much of an asset you are to the team even if you aren't one building the website/working in IT--there's tons of stuff for you to do to help the business.

The company also has a great laid back feel, I'm able to wear t-shirts, jeans and flip-flops to work and feel comfortable in my own skin. Along with being super laid back they have a superb benefits package with a great amount of PTO, Health Insurance, 401K Match and awesome internal events. We work hard to play hard. This is one of the only companies I've worked for that I can truely say that I enjoy coming to work each day and conversing with my clients and co-workers. I leave in a good mood almost each day and look forward to coming back the next.

Cons

After working for the company for a while, I'd like to thank the management for trying to push the sales teams to work with and like the Customer Service/Customer Success teams. However, Sales is Sales and often sees anyone that's not putting there job on the line to help them or a client as a threat to the sale. There are internal processes that have to be followed and if we don't follow them we ourselves can be in trouble, and we are looked down on because sales thinks we aren't doing our jobs.

We are just doing what we have been told by management, also known as doing our jobs. Also, there has been a lot of turn over in my current department and sometimes it does get annoying when management treats you like a new employee instead of someone who has been there for a while, all I have to say is keep having trust in your employees and you'll get more out of them.

Over the last few years there has been a lot of change, (especially with upper management) and as some other reviews have said it's inevitable--after looking back on it, really it's helped me grow as a person. Sometimes the change doesn't make sense and sometimes I do get anxious when there are meetings called but for the most part it's really nothing that's a threat to my current job.

Advice to Management

Keep letting your employees do there jobs and work on projects without micromanaging. It makes them more confident and keeps them working hard.

"Horrible Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Dice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, decent office environment

Cons

Terrible executive leadership. Boys club that only listens to themselves and not their employees. Run by techies with developer expertise but think they are experts in all aspects of business (sales, marketing, etc.)

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and invest in their development

5. "Dice is a great company with very intelligent staff."

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Dice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Engaged, intelligent and customer focused employees.

Cons

Perceived as an "old brand", but in reality they have great new technology and are very relevant.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, great communication and leadership.

6. "Great atmosphere"

I worked at Dice full-time

Pros

many opportunities to learn new technologies within the IT dept.

Cons

Can have times of high stess loads depending on the projects

7. "Overall a good company to work for"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Urbandale, IA

I have been working at Dice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dice is a great company to work for. Even though it is a publicly traded corporation, it has a small business feel. There is a lot of collaboration and upper management is seen often and open to listening to any feedback regarding the company. We have a great culture with a lot of fun work sponsored activities.

Cons

Change is inevitable, so you'll need to be comfortable with change. Sometimes that change doesn't always make sense but you won't be risking boredom here for sure.

8. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Dice full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly co-workers
    Collaborative environment
    Excellent benefits
    Fair wages
    HR's focus on training and talent development
    Family-friendly environment
    Many employees have worked here for several+ years

Cons

Uncertainty/instability of the company
    Lack of trust in the capabilities and power of the Marketing team to generate engaging projects (turn-over, promos, campaigns, etc.)
    Sales' negative attitude towards processes/procedures and their job in general

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate with all employees....more frequent communication from Exec's would be great, if possible.

9. "Dice"

I have been working at Dice full-time

Pros

Great Company to work for.

Cons

Sales quotas are currently unrealistic.

"Needs help"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Urbandale, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Urbandale, IA

I have been working at Dice full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic people
    Casual work environment
    Good benefits/insurance/401K match
    Generous vacation package
    Meditation Group
    Fun office gatherings, holiday parties, etc
    Dice pays above average to all departments

Cons

Lack of upper management strategy
    No trust in management from top all the way down to middle management
    Too many managers throughout the company
    Marketing failure for going on four years
    Failure to innovate the product
    Lack of direction in sales
    Customer service needs to get proactive on the phone, not just reactive. Get to work.
    Defeat within most departments has become toxic
    Non revenue generating departments need to understand that a lack of sales will eventually mean a lack of jobs in all departments. Too much socializing, not enough work.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. Get it together.