Digital Foundry Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brad Stauffer

"Excellent Opportunity to work on interesting projects and with new techology."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tiburon, CA

I have been working at Digital Foundry full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Newest Technology
    - Great Atmosphere
    - Interesting Projects
    -Excellent Location

Cons

- Occasional Late night but almost never happens

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Tiburon, CA

I worked at Digital Foundry full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will learn a lot of technologies and work with some cool people. At the time, they were focused on projects using full Microsoft stack (.NET, SQL Server, C#, IIS) as well as web front end (HTML, CSS, JS). Some Java and mobile projects too.

Cons

Pay was horrible. I hear they have improved a lot, but at the time it was criminally low. Hours are not flexible. One time an employee had to work late the night before for a deployment and had to use vacation time to come in late another day. Not many perks compared to other tech companies (free food, snacks, games, outings, etc.) No real flexibility to work from home or adjust your hours. Working late or extra hours was not appreciated. No rewards or additional bonuses even though all that extra time was being charged to the client and the company was making lots of money on it.

"Positive, fast paced environment with an all for one and one for all energy."

Current Employee - Consultant in Tiburon, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Tiburon, CA

Pros

I love working at DF for a number of reasons. The senior leadership is extremely engaged in the day to day operations of all projects and there is a high level of organizational transparency to all employees. The annual company meeting is in Hawaii and professional success is rewarded with pay and responsibility increases. Annual bonuses are a great benefit and prove to be a significant part of the compensation package. There is a great amount of project variation and all employees get the opportunity to be exposed to many different clients, projects and technologies.

Cons

The organization is small, about 50 people, so it lacks a rigid professional development track and proper employee titles. Sometimes it seems hard to summarize what you do at DF since everyone ends up wearing so many hats.

Advice to Management

Keep fostering the young talent. The business is growing quickly and we need to be ready to grow with it or we will undoubtedly leave good opportunities on the table.

5. "A great place to learn and grow."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Tiburon, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Tiburon, CA

Pros

DF is a mid-sized company with a good career growth track for a person who is willing to take responsibility for their career. We work in a great location and have access to the best tools for the job. Employees here are smart and motivated to do good work. The development teams work in small groups, but have their own space. Collaboration is encouraged, but pairing is not forced. Managers are available to provide feedback, but don’t have the time or motivation to micro-manage.

Cons

We work business hours and expect members of the team to work business hours as well. When a team member is late or leaves early, the rest of the team has to pick up the slack. Working for an external client is hard, they expect that the work will be done timely and correctly. To do this you might have to work a few hours extra a month.

Advice to Management

It has always been possible to talk to any of the management team about a good idea, and know the idea will be listened to. Keep it up; it makes DF a great place to work.

"I have grown a great deal with Digital Foundry, and the growth is good and continuous"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Belvedere Tiburon, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Belvedere Tiburon, CA

Pros

I work here because we keep pace with new technologies, the people are great, and I love the variety of projects that I have worked on. If you want a place to learn some cool stuff, I mean valuable skills, this is the place. I want to point out that its not all about technology, its also about making a great delivery, a satisified customer. I like that we look to our teams to help us figure out how to make that happen. Great benefits.

Cons

Sometimes we need to catch up by working evenings/nights, but I have rarely had to work over the weekend to get a job done. If you're a fast learner and can get tasks done, you're going to do well here. Timelines do pose a challenge because we try hard to deliver on time for our customers. I have to point out, that this challenge is not unique to the Foundry, and I would have to disagree with posts I have seen about employees being overworked.

Advice to Management

Keep on listening to feedback, encourage feedback and innovation, and the trips to Hawaii have been a nice bonus - I love that we have been able to continue that despite the economic downturn!

"Innovative projects and lots of opportunity for those who want to work hard and have a lot of fun."

Current Employee - Consultant in Belvedere Tiburon, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Belvedere Tiburon, CA

Pros

DF is a great place to work if you are looking for an opportunity to collaborate on some of the most innovative and relevant projects around the world. Both large brands and very agile startups. In addition, Digital Foundry provides one of the best work environments in the Bay Area and is full of great people.

Cons

Big and important projects can take away from personal time. Whether is travel or project work, the high profile of DF's projects and clients can cost nights and weekends.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting the people and keep supporting our ideas. Everyone has a voice and that should never change.

"Overworked and under appreciated in a political workplace"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tiburon, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tiburon, CA

Pros

Chance to work with reputable clients and projects, decent benefits, opportunity to learn from coworkers, nice location in sunny Tiburon, annual Hawaii trip and Friday beer bashes.

Cons

Senior management that is petty, doesn't practice what they preach and has little interest in employee development. There are frequent changes in core policies with little to no heads up or reasoning. Salaries below what it takes to live comfortably in the bay area.

Advice to Management

Be fair and honest with your employees, treat them with respect, buy people dinner if they are working late, don't remodel the office during a recession and then cancel salary reviews. You can't expect to keep bay area talent with midwest compensation.

"A place where management really wants to think they get it, but won't actually put the effort into making sure it's true"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tiburon, CA

Pros

Pretty good benefits package, yearly trip to Hawaii for long term employees

Cons

Low pay compared to industry averages, and they try to make up for it with things like the Hawaii trip, which would actually be a really cool extra incentive on top of an already good salary. But with a lower salary, just feels like employee well-being isn't that important.

All of the projects are run without enough people and even less time, which causes the engineers working on the projects to be stressed all the time, trying to make up for never having been given enough time in the first place.

Digital Foundry thinks it's breading an environment of personal accountability, by expecting employees to put in the extra time to get everything done on the unreasonable timeline. However, if an employee has to take a little bit longer lunch to get some errands done, they have to log the time off, even if they would probably be staying the extra hour later that week.

Advice to Management

Put your money where your mouth is, if it's really important to you to have good, happy employees, actually pay them a wage that will allow them to live in Marin county without feeling like they have to only eat ramen. Make sure the people estimating new projects actually have to build things periodically so the estimates are realistic.

"A place that says the right things, but often misses the mark"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Tiburon, CA

Pros

The location is great, and most of the employees are fun to work with. They do a good job of making the work environment comfortable, including an anual Pimp-My-Cube where everyone is given $500 to buy anything they need for their cubicles. The anual trips to Hawaii are pretty nice too.

From a technical point of view, you will get a chance to work on a lot of different things, which makes it interesting. The software that is written there is nothing to be ashamed of, although the development process could be improved. More on that below. Overall, it's not a bad place to get your feet wet if you can afford the low pay.

Cons

The pay is significantly below the average for the area. They also expect everyone to work overtime (and be proud of it), to the point where whole teams are often burned out. This is largely due to them claiming to be a hardcore agile shop, but the "agile" that goes on really isn't, and there are only a handful of people there that are even interested in understanding what I mean by this statement.

Even though the software they write is pretty good, their development processes are fairly out of date, and senior management isn't interested in actually understanding or improving them. It often seems that the message that comes down from above is "do it better" but you don't get the support to do it.

Advice to Management

If you want to actually be the elite development shop you claim you strive for and attract top talent, you need to understand what that takes and then empower people who know how to make it happen.

"A company where employees have the opportunity to take control of their own destiny."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Tiburon, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Tiburon, CA

Pros

Digital Foundry recognizes and rewards employee's who show initiative and work hard to provide value to our clients. All staff members are provided with the best industry tools (software and hardware) to maximize productivity and create a fun and comfortable working environment. The corporate culture promotes team unity by sponsoring company off sites and annual trips. Teams have nearly complete autonomy and are entrusted to succeed without interference from management. The company promotes individual learning and encourages feedback from its employees.

Cons

Client and management expectations are expectantly high and many of the projects carry with them a fair amount of stress and diligence.

Advice to Management

Continue to recognize, reward and promote your star performers and look to identify those poor performers earlier in the process.