DiningIn Reviews | Glassdoor

Michael Hackel

1. "operations"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at DiningIn (Less than a year)

Pros

chill, easy, great people, boss was great, nice relationship

Cons

tech start up, not too many cons but it was a great experience working with restaurants.

2. "Better Management"

Current Employee - Quality Control Specialist in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Quality Control Specialist in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at DiningIn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, usually stay busy.

Cons

Won't hire new people so constantly stuck doing 12 hours straight shifts, out-of-date equipment that can't handle the amount of work done, poor management.

Advice to Management

Needs better marketing strategy if they want the business to keep going. Management isn't great, they usually close themselves in their office all day (don't even know when an employee is on vacation [BETTER COMMUNICATION]). Need to have proper training, better equipment.

3. "If you hate office jobs, and want more freedom then this is for you!"

Current Employee - Driver (Mobile Waiter) in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Driver (Mobile Waiter) in Boston, MA

I have been working at DiningIn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you want a very flexible job, and you love driving then this is for you. You get paid hourly+commission+tips as well as benefits. But the tips is what makes up most of the paycheck. On good days I get 10+ orders, and slow days is when I get 6-7 orders per shift. The people at the office are quite chill. Do your job and communicate with your dispatchers then you will be fine. The best part of the job is going into nice restaurants and dropping them off at nice condos/hotels.

Cons

Expect heavy traffic at certain times. Gas money is not reimbursed, so you are paying straight from your pocket every week. You also have to use your own car and have your own car insurance. Parking tickets are not waived, so that is all you if you do get one.

Advice to Management

It would be sweet if you can provide employees a company car and also cover gas.

4. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at DiningIn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at the Philadelphia office. It was a great environment, steady work, wonderful management.

Cons

I wish there was more room for advancement, but everyone is so happy in the position that they are in there is not much turnover.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! :)

5. "Oops I Messed Up!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at DiningIn part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Company to work for

Cons

Management very unforgiving one mistake your out the door, never to return again.

6. "Diningin... Who are they and why don't we know who they are?"

Current Employee - Sale in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sale in Boston, MA

I have been working at DiningIn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom and most of the other employees are great. Very casual atmosphere and micro managing is at a minimum.

Cons

They do not believe in marketing and they will never be any bigger than they were 2 years ago.. company is dying

"A job that fits around my schedule in college years."

Former Employee - Driver in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Driver in Boston, MA

I worked at DiningIn part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Extremely flexible schedule. Can literally take days off with no advance notice and/or possibly no show without any consequences. They always lack drivers because of the high turnover rate so you never feel threatened or have your job jeopardized. Unless you do something REALLY over the top.
    -Good money during the busy seasons. As long as you know what you are doing and the dispatchers have faith in you.
    -Low level of commitment.
    -Very laid-back since you are out on the road with noone watching over your shoulder.
    -Stepping into fine-dining restaurants to pick up orders and deliver to high-end clients (Big four accounting firms, law firms, corporate companies, etc.) There are some prestige associated with this job depending on how you look at it. Since its NOT cheap to order through DiningIn. Not all customers can afford $5.99-9.99 delivery charge+tip+SIGNIFICANT food markups.

Cons

-No reimbursement of any kind whatsoever. Back in my days all drivers are considered 'independent contractors' and are paid via 1099-MISC.
    -No benefits, paid vacations or medical insurance even for guys that works 7 days a week because of our classification.
    -Incompetent management team. Its so obvious nobody up in the office (front line or back office) gives a damn about anything. Perhaps the paid was too low to extract any passion or dedication from the staff.
    -Don't even think about personal growth at this company. There is none. Upside is you do get to see different people everyday out there. If you have a future mindset of entering the food industry, it doesn't hurt to swing by different restaurants daily to get an idea of what's going on in there.

I believed towards the end of my era, there was an overhaul to switch over from 1099 to W-2. Rumors suggested the state court were investigating on us for tax evasion.

Advice to Management

Know your drivers. They appeared to be at the bottom of the hierarchy scale. But admit it or not they are your most valuable assets in the company. There are whom your clients sees face to face. CEO Mr. Hackel recognizes me since I have been at this company long enough. Even after I have left the company for several years and stills recalls who I am when we bump into each other at the red light.

"Watch out for the CEO"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, MA

I worked at DiningIn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We had a lot of free food and some of the people were great to work with.

Cons

One of the people that WAS NOT great to work with was the CEO Michael Hackel. He has a bit of a Jekyll & Hyde thing going on. After firing my boss and promoting me to her position, he decided I made too much money and promptly fired me in favor of a kid right out of college that he didn't have to pay as much. This was a regular occurrence at the company and the turnover was constant. Everyone feared for their job and it created a very non-conducive workplace.

Advice to Management

I'd say take some leadership classes but the CEO attended a Harvard Business School certificate program that obviously taught him nothing. He rules with emotion and an iron fist that could only come from a false sense of power brought on by founding a company with money that his rich relatives lent him.

"No buck to pass"

Former Employee - Driver in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Driver in Chicago, IL

I worked at DiningIn part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Drivers have flexibility, deliveries are easy to make on time

Cons

The owner is greedy and dumb, leaves little money to office workers, and drivers. Office employees in Chicago have low morale, constantly put dining-in down. The problem is they are dining-in !! People think they just do their job, nothing more, but in reality, they don't even do that.

Advice to Management

Let drivers keep a higher percentage of delivery fee

"Let the word out on the drivers pay"

Current Employee - Driver in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Driver in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at DiningIn part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The drivers have a lot of flexibility in scheduling.
    Food is on time (evenings are a bit hectic).
    The entire staff is polite, respectful, and respond accordingly.

Cons

Only the Drivers get paid in tips and commission off each delivery (which is not much), there is no salary wage, and most make under minimum, if you calculate the tips and commission (please be polite to your drivers).

Advice to Management

Give your Drivers the respect they deserve, they are what makes your company run, if you keep treating them badly, don't expect this company to go far.