DoSomething.org Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Aria Finger

Pros
  • Great work environment w/ really cool and smart people (in 9 reviews)

• fast paced environment, never bored, ability to work on some very fresh projects (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation (but I guess that's just the downside of working in a non-profit) (in 5 reviews)

• You've gotta be interested in what you're doing, because it is a lot of work (in 2 reviews)

1. "Intern"

Former Employee - Web Developer Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Web Developer Intern in New York, NY

I worked at DoSomething.org full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Awsome People
    * Great Location in the city
    * Very friendly and talented mind people
    * Open minded

Cons

* More catered food and employee refreshment will be great

2. "Good first internship experience"

Former Employee - Intern - Monthly in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern - Monthly in New York, NY

Pros

-Good pay for a nonprofit internship (+ unlimited metro cards helped a lot)
    -Most of the staff will try their best to make sure interns are busy and doing good work
    -Free coffee and random free treats pretty often
    -Potential to do something major if you put in hard work and have good ideas
    -Awesome office space
    -Potential to meet amazing people (interns and staff have so much potential)

Cons

-There was sometimes a pretty high level of unprofessionalism on part of the upper-level management (though the old CEO is gone so I'm not sure how things are now)
    -Favoritism is an obvious issue
    -High turnover made projects difficult to continue and follow up with

Advice to Management

I understand DoSomething is a liberal organization, but please exercise a little more professionalism (and respect for your employees. They're amazing people.). Sometimes it felt like I was at a frat house, not a nonprofit organization.

"Fun Work Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Really fun work environment. The people are by far the best part of the job.

Cons

The campaigns never really had as much of an impact as the org would like you to think. Many are flashy and cool, but when it comes to actually making a difference, not much actually happens.

5. "Fun environment with hard working people, and a bright future!"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at DoSomething.org full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great open workspace, with lots of light, room to move around, work in different spaces.
    - young, diverse, hip employee culture. Everyone here is young minded, easy going, smart, driven
    - fast paced environment, never bored, ability to work on some very fresh projects
    - small team, work collaboratively with everyone.
    - wonderful benefits including birthdays off, fun office, numerous perks
    -medical, dental covered in full, gym membership, retirement matching, transit benefit, sabbatical, many other perks

Cons

There aren't really any cons I can think. The only thing is, upon hire, they really get you working really fast. Was a bit hard to learn everything while starting a new job.

"Wonderful place to learn; needs to increase impact"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at DoSomething.org (Less than a year)

Pros

There is so much opportunity to learn here, and you have the freedom to take on new projects/try new things. Everyone on staff is so supportive.

Cons

Although the organization does make an impact, the staff and leadership don't see that the impact is much smaller than it should be given their size. If you realize this while you're working there, it's easy to become discouraged and feel unfulfilled in your work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the support for young professionals! But take a second look at how you're measuring organizational success. I think DoSomething's impact could be much bigger if everyone focused on increasing campaign engagement rather than new member sign ups.

"Intern at DoSomething"

Former Employee - Technician in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Technician in New York, NY

I worked at DoSomething.org (Less than a year)

Pros

Very fun environment and you can learn a lot if you put yourself out there

Cons

Office can get pretty cliquey, sometimes can be hard to stand out

"Smart people, opportunity for growth"

Former Employee - Campaigns in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Campaigns in New York, NY

I worked at DoSomething.org (More than a year)

Pros

Working at DS, you'll be surrounded by incredibly smart, passionate and hardworking people who will push you to perform at a high level. If you can keep up, you'll have a ton of freedom to grow and get whatever experience you want to move forward in your career. Employees are encouraged to work on side projects and often collaborate together. Very social office. Employees are very well-networked.

Cons

You're not going to get rich working here. The organization moves very quickly, sometimes unpredictably - great for some people, but obviously not everyone.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better if you want to retain talent. Beware of showing favoritism - recognizing the same people over and over can be discouraging.

"Tread carefully and read the reviews here closely."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at DoSomething.org full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're fortunate, the CEO and management will decide to favor you and push through projects that can significantly build your resume. However, this has very little to do with the quality of work you actually put out and just whether or not you've been #blessed that week or month.

Cons

Where can I even begin? I was a fresh young employee eager to please and DS was by far the worst experience of my professional life. I work for one of the most competitive global corporations in the world and have Fortune 500 CEOs as my clients and not a single professional experience has since come close to the debilitating pressure and brutal backstabbing that I experienced during Do Something. Although it was quite a few years ago, I feel compelled to comment on my experience in the way that abuse victims recognize that what happened to them was truly Not Okay. It was Not Okay to treat me, or any number of the employees DS has churned through, in the manner it did and apparently continues to do so. High pressure environment that encourages childish behavior. Totally unchecked, unprofessional feedback mechanisms. Totally unrealistic work streams and absurd project management tactics. For a company that purports to help the world and others it is remarkably self-serving and routinely abuses the young people who work for the organization.

Advice to Management

Honestly, get psychological help and acknowledge the pain you cause your employees. This is not the only review of this type on Glassdoor - potential employees beware.

"Good place to grow"

Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

Pros

Laid back office. High energy and people are pretty dedicated to the cause. Take in lots of interns. Encourage people.

Cons

Can get weird if you are not close with anyone in the office.

"I still have PTSD flashbacks"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at DoSomething.org full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You're give a ton of responsibility at Do Something. If you're competent (and masochistic) you can really own a program and you can learn a lot.

Cons

Once, a few of us took our the DSM-IV and read through personality disorder descriptions. It was like reading bios of the management.

I've never worked somewhere that was more aggressive and abusive. It's all smiles and jokes and LET'S HAVE FUN CONSTANTLY, but beneath that sad, trite veneer is a sadistic streak that turns and burns employees. Everyone I knew who worked there cried at the office at some point. This is all driven by management.

There were some good people in there, and like (I imagine) friends you meet in a war, you can meet up with them and joke about the good times over cheap beer, and quietly wonder if they too, years after leaving, wake-up in the middle of the night to dreams that the CEO is punching them in face.

Advice to Management

Focus on real impact, not just brand building.

Stop hiring young, gullible people who you pay dirt. Find top talent and work to keep them.

Check the ego at the door.

Develop a relationship with a foundation, not just corporations. You look like the desperate girl who wants to sit at the cool kid table.

And throwaway that stupid Hello Kitty bike.