DocuTAP Reviews | Glassdoor

Eric McDonald

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Company"

I have been working at DocuTAP full-time

Pros

Great Morale, Good Company Outings, Awesome Co-workers

Cons

Lots of change, lay offs

"good"

I have been working at DocuTAP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible, innovative, willing to change and listens to employee's ideas

Cons

lower pay, understaffed so overwhelming amount of work to do

Advice to Management

hire a lot more people, continue to make improvement to processes

"Amazing Company of People"

I worked at DocuTAP (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having spent a few years working at DocuTap, I can attest to how far they have come and the hard work it took to get there. So many amazing people, so many milestones reached. Always be proud of the time I spent there and the relationships and results we shared.

Cons

Every company has growing up pains. Every company evolves and changes. For the explosive growth DocuTAP experienced and still does, she has met the challenges.

Advice to Management

Keep the bus moving forward. There are many more exciting stops ahead.

"Land of opportunity"

I have been working at DocuTAP full-time

Pros

The work is interesting, and DocuTAP is in an exciting space at the intersection of healthcare and technology. The company has experienced (and maintained) incredible growth, the likes of which many other companies only aspire to, which leads to lots of opportunities for new or different roles, including advancement.

The people are awesome. Each department is filled with hard-working, caring individuals who go above and beyond to help clients and colleagues alike. As other comments have stated, these people will become your friends, and will be like another family.

If you enjoy downtown Sioux Falls, you'll love the office. It's a great space right in the heart of downtown. We have our own gym in the basement, and the main floor of the building has a restaurant and brewery.

Cons

The company explains the pace of the work (due to the growth) during the application and orientation processes, but it's hard to fully communicate, or at least, to do so well. When you sustain the huge amounts of growth year after year that DocuTAP has, it can be tough to keep up. No, it's not for everyone. If you want everything spelled out for you and value consistency and stability above all else, DocuTAP might not be for you.

The company hasn't been great at top-down communications (though is working to improve it), which, when combined with the speed of change, sometimes leaves the average employee scratching their heads about certain decisions or objectives.

Advice to Management

You're working hard to recognize employees for their contributions and hard work, as well as get better at communicating the direction of the company. Keep pushing to improve in both areas.

"A mixed bag: from ego to chaos"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at DocuTAP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are looking for that next job and for a steady paycheck, and that is simply it, then apply here. If you come in at a full-time position you'll be looking at a standard 401k matching, insurance, and a hearty PTO policy. You'll have another family at work (for reasons found in the cons section), you'll have plenty of work on hand: challenging ones and not-so. Depending on your position you'll have the opportunity to develop great relationship with DocuTAP's clientele.

Furthermore, the greatest thing I can positively say is that the place has so many management, efficiency, and staffing problems that you'll have plenty of opportunities to create a positive impact. Note: not a lasting or a big impact, just positive. This will allow you the opportunity to train your decision-making, intuition, and communications. Best advice, take a hold of these opportunities and then move on in a year or two.

Cons

tl:dr; If a company has to consistently espouse it's strong, vibrant culture, then understand it mostly is a marketing ploy. Culture speaks for itself in the happy faces of the employees and word of mouth, not in the tear-filled bathrooms filled with overworked, and underpaid employees. Get real.

The company is ego-centric, the building was designed and built over budget to wash CEO's ego in shine and luster. Investors = not happy, and disgusted. It is not a secret in the Sioux Falls community that the CEO gets jealous of others' success, and many prior successful C-level execs have found themselves slowly pressured out of the company and re-positioned to a new group, away from the sales process, and eventually forced to resign. Many times a plausible excuse is given, but oh the stories one could publish if they had legal affidavits. If you are an executive looking to create change and momentum, look elsewhere or else you'll wind up like the 7 prior high-level to c-level execs in the past 3 years. The bottom line to this company is that they don't know what a corporation is supposed to look like structurally and they can't communicate vision across the whole team. Not 1 person would have the same answer as another if they were asked the vision and direction of DocuTAP. Period. Confusion, paranoia, fear, nervousness, nervous-breakdowns, insecurity of job being there next week is a common thread across all floors.
        If you wish to have no work/life balance, no boundary between your private life and DocuTAP's domain, and want to shed tears over the sheer workload that you are being tasked to do (ask the billing team) then please apply.

Advice to Management

You've had your time to listen to advice, you've had your time to change course, you've had 3+ years to make the RCM department a well-oiled machine. But because of your nepotism, favoritism amongst your peers and internal folks, you'll continue to stay a small company, you'll continue to use sub-par tech in your software solution, and you'll continue to be a small-minded group of individuals. HR needs to get involved the moment there is a dispute between upper and mid-level management to prevent the ego of the upper manager from taking control of the situation and instead allow conversation and discussion to take place. Don't ask for advice, then make excuses as to the existence of problems (looking at you Mr. CEO).

Subnote: The CEO needs to work on the company, not in it, and I hope the new investment company will clean house in the ranks of upper-management.

"Software Developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

Pros

This company is an incredible company. It started small and has grown fairly quickly over the last several years. Everyone from the top down makes you feel as if you are as important as anyone else in the company. I personally have grown more as a developer here than anywhere else I worked and I've learned a ton about the medical profession too. I'd highly recommend this company to anyone.

Cons

I have no cons to share

"DocuTAP is the bomb.com!"

I have been working at DocuTAP full-time

Pros

-The people who work here are so energetic and friendly.
    -The atmosphere is super trendy, and gives off a cool vibe.
    -Downtown Sioux Falls is pretty great.
    -We're allowed to be spiritual in the workplace.
    -The fun committee is always spoiling us with fun activities.
    -We get beer while we work sometimes, and I think that's AWESOME!

Keep up the great work team!

Cons

The parking ramp seems like it's a mile away, but that's pretty typical for the location.

Advice to Management

Meet with your team regularly, smile, laugh, and get involved in the festivities!

"Happy current employee"

I have been working at DocuTAP full-time

Pros

Fast growing
    New opportunities
    Change, Change, Change
    An amazing CEO, CFO, and our HR person is simply amazing!
    Hallway hugs
    Dart guns!!!!!
    The ability to laugh and joke at work!
    Casual dress
    Wearing baseball hats every day at work!
    Shorts and flip flops!!!

DocuTAP started small and has grown quickly, but still has a small company feel. You can stop any one at any level of management in the hall way and visit with them.

Cons

Little cross interaction between floors.
    If you are a person that cannot deal with change, then change would be a con.

Advice to Management

Have a clear career paths set up for employees. Keep the small company feel, continue to walk around visiting with employees. We have an amazing executive team.

"It's Pretty AWESOME!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at DocuTAP (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the fast paced environment and the constant hustle of a tech company. The people here are amazing and I am surrounded by talent. This is a company where you as an individual are allowed to try new things and move the needle on different business practices. Management supports all sorts of ideas and truly encourages people to be bigger and better versions of themselves. I think it is rare to find a company that is so willing to invest in their people to drive the long term success overall.

Cons

It is a fast paced environment. Personally I really enjoy this as no two days are alike-for some people they are not cut out for it and struggle to be successful in an ever changing environment.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! You have the right people in the right places and you are committed to the success of your employees and the success of the company.

"Complete chaos"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at DocuTAP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some nice people and office is located downtown. There are some human robots that you can say Good Morning and they walk by you like a zombie. It's fun to watch.

Cons

The last 3 reviews that score DocuTAP unusually highly are outright fishy. There has been rumor going around prompting people to post "good" reviews online. I hope the last 3 reviewers were compensated well to raise the review score. DocuTAP is utterly chaotic. Nobody knows what will change tomorrow and for what reason. Project directions are changed senselessly. You cannot get a straight answer from anyone about change in direction. Everyone "leader" scrambles to give some answer and you can tell the answer was thought of on-spot. You as another "leader" and you get another answer that's more insane than the previous. Employees are considered foolish worker bees. It's getting boring after these many years of the same-old, same-old.

One review said that opportunities to move into other areas is abundant. What it really means is that management will throw a perfectly well performing employee into a different department so that their buddy from church can get promoted. Things like that disrupt team structures and morale hits the floor over and over again. Yes, there are tons of latitude to offer opinion -- always falls on deaf ears! Not only that but "leadership" comes to you to confirm a question you had asked - only to find that it was not your question. It was someone else's question!! I asked a different question and that was a year ago!! Technical people in influential roles are just outright incompetent. They give incompetency a new meaning. They have lowered the bar so much that close to the core of the earth. I wonder how they survive in the world of technology. Church power, I guess! This is indeed a corporate culture where management hold their hands and dance to some Christian folk song while their employees are thrown under 3x the work and a fast approaching deadline.

The fast pace is not get-stuff-done-fast. Fast pace is to run amok in chaos asking each other what to do next and who is in charge. I've spent more time in changing from one project to another rather than actually doing work on projects. This is not a tech company. The technology is borrowed from the 90s. You'd look at it and feel like puking but you don't because you don't want your puke to get dirty. Troubleshooting this junk software in the last two years has been so frustrating.

Oh by the way, you will be on-call. Yep. You do IT. On-call. You do software. On-call. You do quality stuff. On-call. You do support. On-call. You do other minuscule stuff. On-call even when phone lines are down. You are in an office...spared! Only us lowly cubicle workers are given the joy of being on-call. Do you hear me now?

Another review mentions that employees are allowed to try new things and move the needle on different business practices. Reality is that employees are asked to work from home after regular hours and come up with ideas to solve the problems they created. The needle just moves money into their own pockets. "Different business practices" don't exist. It's business as usual. Management does NOT invest in employees at all. In this software company we have no technical books. Our computers are crappy (unless you are a good church buddy) and our IT people are just inept. Let alone that, people in charge of making decisions can barely understand technology. The company is selling software just because they entered the market early. In few years other companies will gobble up this DocuJUNK company.

People use dart guns all the time to release their frustration. People are just always frustrated. Instead of making it a calm environment to work, employees shoot darts at each other all the time on floor, across floors, wherever. The company's going to pay big time when some loses their eye. The company cannot retain good people. Smart people come and go fast. Either incompetent people who have been here long time drive them out or smart people run away from incompetence. Each time a smart person is hired, there's a hope...and when they leave, employees go docile like Minions waiting for someone else to come rescue them. I guess its our own fault for staying here and going nowhere.

New year's resolution: I'll crawl out of this cult and make a better living.

Advice to Management

What's the point? You don't listen anyway. If you hire someone who listens, here's the deal - let go your incompetent top level staff and other incompetent church buddies. CEO should not be allowed to make any technical decision. You made this piece of junk and hired others like you to make this a bigger JUNK that we have to constantly protect. Hire competent people who can remove this JUNK and put something in place that is easy to look at and work with. Sell better. Pay attention to customer instead of releasing junk after junk. I'm tired of customer calls. Changeover smoothly from one success to another rather than throwing things half way and moving to something else. Be transparent. Do more, speak less. There's no leadership. You all are managers. Bring leaders and sit back and see what they can do. Replace IT with Geek Squad. At least they make it look like they fix things while ripping us off. Set up an HR department that protects and helps employees (if there's such a thing) so that smart people just don't go through the revolving door. Retain young new people by listening to them instead of ignoring them just so that you can spread love to long-timers.