Earthbound Trading Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 9, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steve James

Pros
  • The 50% employee discount is pretty awesome (in 18 reviews)

• You also get a 50% discount on all merchandise in the store (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales goals were hard to meet (though not always impossible) (in 22 reviews)

• Secrecy amongst the upper management was a problem, and quite a few significant situations were neglected until it was too late to fix them (in 16 reviews)

1. "Amazing Job, Unfortunate Management"

I worked at Earthbound Trading full-time

Pros

This was easily one of the greatest experiences I've had in retail. The customers I met became friends, and they always came back with a wonderful outlook. The company's products continue to get better, and usually have a wonderful story to accompany. The atmosphere was everything!

Cons

My views of the management, were less than great. I witnessed multiple unprofessional choices, that were unfair to staff, customers, and prospective employees. Secrecy amongst the upper management was a problem, and quite a few significant situations were neglected until it was too late to fix them. Personally, I did not feel comfortable being under that kind of leadership for an atmosphere that deserves better.

Advice to Management

Uncomfortable, personal life situations need to stay off the sales floor. It's in the handbook for a reason.

Feb 17, 2017 – HR Generalist

Would you be willing to share with us your work location? Elizabeth can be contacted at elizabeth@earthboundtrading.com. Thanks for your feedback!

2. "Not Worth It"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Earthbound Trading part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The Store Discount
    -Interesting Customers
    -Flexible Hours

Cons

-Management was a mess, our store went without a manager for 6 months and in that time our Assistant Manager only assigned hours to their friends and would put big sales made by others under her own name so she could get her bonus.
    -Coworkers were competitive and would talk about each other behind their backs and never worked as a team.
    -Management also allowed discrimination to take place in the work place as well.

Advice to Management

-Learn to listen to your employees when they come to you with complaints. Communicate instead of instantly believing the word of someone else without giving them a chance to defend themselves.
    -Stop scheduling people to close or open when you know it doesn't work with their college schedule, especially since most of your employees are college age students.

Feb 10, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'd appreciate time to discuss this with you so we can determine which store this is and take steps to address these issues. Please contact me at ... More

3. "BEST COMPANY IV'E EVER WORKED FOR!"

Current Employee - Warehouse Staff in Lewisville, TX
    Current Employee - Warehouse Staff in Lewisville, TX

Pros

friendly, inclusive, fast-paced, steady work. you can work at your own pace (within reason) and they are very accommodating to all types of people. you have plenty of work always so job sequrity is not something to worry about. i am very anti-social and i have terrible social anxiety which has made it terribly difficult to find a job that works and it was near impossible for me to stay at a job more than a year. this is my 3rd year at the best job ive ever worked at. they really create a family atmosphere. not suitable for poor workers.

Cons

communication isnt great i cant do much physical work these days and despite the fact that i can work circles around our IT department, have a great head for management and organization, and a plethora of skills that would greatly improve the workplace for the company, the warehouse, and myself yet time and time again I sit silently as someone who is thoroughly under-qualified try and not succeed making everyone's life a living nightmare, including me. they seem to want to promote people who are loud and animated, and that is just not me. that is the only thing that upsets me.

Advice to Management

look at the already employed for opportunities and assets to the company. there is a lot of untapped potential

Jan 27, 2017 – HR Generalist

I'd love to talk to you more about the Cons you describe-please don't hesitate to come by my office so we can talk about these things in depth. Thanks-Elizabeth

5. "Key holder"

Current Employee - Key Holder
    Current Employee - Key Holder

I have been working at Earthbound Trading part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Great products. The customers are nicer than most retail.

Cons

The pay is not great. No benefits. Hours can be cut without warning.

Feb 2, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for the feedback. Are you aware that hours are based on making sales goals? Please reach out to your Store Manager, District Manager, or myself for additional clarification about how hours ... More

6. "Unfortunate."

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder

I worked at Earthbound Trading part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Solid employee discount, learned good sales

Cons

No communication with upper management made for no accountability for in-store management, consistent in-store gossip made working there horrible, sales goals and hours structuring made for a hostile workplace, never got an exit interview after I requested one

Advice to Management

Consider the professionalism of who you're letting run your store. You have a lot of people on staff with a LOT of potential, but with no responsibility.

"Amazing place to work but sadly pay is not up to par compared to other retail company's."

Current Employee - Head Stock Key Holder in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Head Stock Key Holder in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Earthbound Trading part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing company and coworkers. Love every shift I work here. As well the customers base is totally groovy. Overall great place to work.

Cons

Pay is not up to par with competitor retail company's. Amazing place but they place the managers on a much higher level then the other employees

Advice to Management

Better pay

8. "Fun Store"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Earthbound Trading full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun store, great discounts. Neat learning about other cultures through product knowledge.

Cons

Management, gossip when you're around younger employees.

Advice to Management

Should keep personal and professional relationships separate.

Jan 27, 2017 – HR Generalist

Are you willing to have a longer conversation about your review, perhaps an exit interview? If so, please call me at 972-248-0228 ext 5056 or email elizabeth@earthboundtrading.com. We're constantly ... More

"There are reviews for a reason"

I worked at Earthbound Trading full-time

Pros

Employee discount, the store sells some neat stuff at times.

Cons

Store management is usually young and inexperienced, quality of upper management is dependent entirely upon your district and can be okay as long as they like you or don't have other plans, health insurance for management is expensive and baseline, things change regularly in the store (sets often change from week to week and sometimes multiple times in the week in a complex way), company uses some questionable employment practices that ride the fine line between ethical and unethical, the corporate office is on a completely different plant from the stores, you don't work on commission but you have sales goals which make or break you, sales techniques and tactics are usually "whatever it takes" even if it involves bending the truth or excluding information, communication between staff, managers and other stores can be horrible, you must have super human time management skills and be willing to work like a dog or you will fail, potential for toxic work environment is very high, physically exhausting.

It's retail but on the shadier, darker end of retail.

Feb 8, 2017 – HR Generalist

I'd very much like to get additional information from you about your feedback. Knowing what store/district you worked in would be helpful to identify if we have stores that need additional training ... More

"Former store manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Earthbound Trading full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great discount - 50% Managers are only required to work 40 hours/week and can typically choose their own schedule as long as you're hitting goal. Personally my DM was very attentive and would work with me on just about any issues, although I think I was lucky, not all DMs were as supportive. Bonuses are good (when you get them). My staff was amazing, however I groomed my staff over 3 years, and weeded out a lot of bad employees. Merchandise is pretty cool although not always of the highest quality.

Cons

Store goals in the last year I worked with earthbound went from a 5-10% increase over ly numbers to 15 to close to 30% making bonusing nearly impossible and cut the bonuses quite a bit since we rarely made much extra over goal. This chained tons of coaching of even my best employees who were fantastic sales people. With the selling techniques that are expected not only of you but every employee makes the pay ($8 to start at my location) ridiculously low and the possibility of a raise (in my last year there I got a 1% raise and that was with my DM fighting for it) pretty unlikely for managers and sales associates alike. Almost every day I would leave work feeling defeated despite my DM assuring myself and other managers that we were great managers. Upper management, with a few exceptions are really just plain snotty and awful to be around, one relatively recent addition as an RM in particular. With the typical small close knit family feel of my store and neighboring stores having her come on and be so cold to everyone was quite a shock. But when dollars are more valuable to you as a company than tenured staff, definitely how the company is leaning, I guess it shouldn't have been all that shocking.

Advice to Management

As you're hemorrhaging good managers and DMs stop to think why people who have grown with the company can't seem to carry on with you. Pay your employees what they're worth and rub the dollar signs out of your eyes. These people are who have got you where you are, don't crap on them.

Dec 20, 2016 – HR Generalist

Would you be willing to participate in an exit interview? You can contact me at elizabeth@earthboundtrading.com or 972-248-0228 ext 5056 to set up an appointment. I'd be interested in receiving some ... More

11. "Hypocrits and discrimination"

I have been working at Earthbound Trading full-time

Pros

50% off discount and meeting cool people

Cons

They don't care about employees. Good luck growing with this company. Everyone in corporate are married to each other. Yet, associates can't date. They will only give you negative criticism. they won't train you properly. They steal ideas from you and don't give you credit. They send you a box of generic snacks including ramen noodles for christmas. they have moved in a direction that the orginal CEOS would never have. They've ruined the vision of this company. Steve Gordon and Nick Tillman were amazing. And now the company is ran by fools.

Advice to Management

Listen.

Dec 20, 2016 – HR Generalist

Thank you for your feedback. I'd appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further and see if we can help resolve some of your issues. Please contact me at 972-248-0228 extension 5056 or ... More