ElasticBox Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Carol Carpenter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Opportunities up for grabs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ElasticBox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Since Carol took over at the helm as CEO, she has turned ElasticBox around with mature and evolved leadership. The results showed in a matter of months. She made difficult but right decisions for the company and encouraged employees to contribute afresh tapping in to the best of their abilities.

From building the company morale to pushing a stronger product vision, she continues to make incrementally positive changes. Anyone looking to grow in marketing and product management roles especially will find it enriching here.

Cons

Why not explore opportunities to partner with other startups and do meetup events in a la grassroots evangelism mode? As a small company, it may make sense to embed the engineering team more closely with the rest.

Advice to Management

There's a need for faster momentum and growth before the market grows saturated with similar offerings.

"Awesome."

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ElasticBox (Less than a year)

Pros

The new management team will listen to any issues that you have an get them resolved quickly. You can actually use your PTO, and not get slammed for it. ElasticBox is very Elastic when it comes to working from home, and they are genuinely concerned about there employees. Free lunch provided everyday, and snacks. They do there best at all times, but are not perfect because they are humans, and not machines. It is a family kind of environment, and the culture is whatever you make it to be. You can ask all sorts of questions, and they are there to give great answers. I was able to speak open and freely to Alberto and Carol any time I wanted, and had a great relationship with both of them.

Cons

I have read the negative reviews of this place, and understand that a lot of it stems from the old regime which I was not around for. That being said the new regime under Carol Carpenter, and Alberto Maestro was great. The product can get confusing if you don't put in the work to learn it, but it is in DevOps which is a new area. I know this company has been around for a few years, but they are truly starting from scratch with an eye to the future. ElasticBox does change its strategies quite frequently, which can be frustrating at times. I know that can be frustrating sometimes when you have three or four new decks in a month, but that is part of a startup.

Advice to Management

I never worked directly underneath Alberto (CTO), but he would ask me how I was doing daily. I was able to vent some frustration with him, and he completely understood and lit fires where they needed to be. My advice to him is to keep your head up, and keep being as transparent as possible. Carol was a great CEO, and I wished that I was able to learn more from her. I always had great interactions with Carol. I was able to speak with her about any issues, and she resolved them promptly without any punishment for stepping forward. My advice to Carol would be to speak with your employees more one on one which would give them the chance to talk about any issues that were bothering them. Also I think it would be good for management to respond to some of the negative articles on GlassDoor.

"Toxic Environment. Management badmouths you after you leave"

I worked at ElasticBox full-time

Pros

Free lunch.
    Fancy chairs in the office.
    Good healthcare benefits.
    Based on recent reviews on Glassdoor, it looks like they're giving spot bonuses to employees to post something positive about the company on Glassdoor.

Cons

Toxic work environment slowly gets under your skin even when you're not at work.
    Major engineering issues result in constant lies to customers around the status of updates.
    Company constantly in crisis mode.
    I personally saw management lie about who the implemented customers are to: employees, interviewees, and prospective customers. If you are interviewing here and you ask, "Who are ElasticBox's customers." You'll be flat out lied to.
    The culture and environment at ElasticBox are so bad that even people in the Spain office have been quitting, and Spain is in the middle of an economic crisis.

Advice to Management

Make a contract with the employees who are still left so they know how long they'll have jobs for before closing - they'll probably be less likely to quit.

"Why? Why not?"

I worked at ElasticBox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A team of hardworking, talented, and dedicated people. Good product that solve real problems in the right market. Good benefit. New management team is proactive and is making a difference.

Cons

It's a startup, so it's not for those with unrealistic expectations. The engineering team is in Spain and the time difference means sometimes people have to stay up really late or get up really early to work together when there is an urgent issue.

Advice to Management

Keep being proactive. Having three different offices in three different countries is a little too complicated for a company of this size. Balance your resources with your ROI.

"Very disappointed...."

I worked at ElasticBox full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I met some great talented people.

Cons

Everything else.... Lack of leadership and drive from the top down. Sad to see the hard work of so many people go to waste

Advice to Management

I don't think any advice at this point will help

"Dont stay away, stay far away!!"

Pros

Good idea... but long since surpassed by open source. It's basically useless now, and gets even more redundant as the days go by.

Cons

I knew the CEO personally even before this , from a long time ago. He was a liar then and he's a liar now. I should never have quit by secure job to join this company.
    Terrible management, terrible leadership, no vision at all.
    So many layoffs, targets change suddenly, good people have long since left.

Advice to Management

Steady the ship , dont lie , be honest with your customers and employeed.

"What happens when you have horrible leadership and great engineers? ElasticBox"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

-In San Francisco
    -Decent insurance
    -Partially cover gym membership

Cons

-Leadership is horrible
    -Micromanagement
    -Employees are not appreciated
    -Expected to work whenever leadership wants you to work
    -Unlimited vacation is a lie (no one wants you to leave)
    -Layoffs regular
    -B/c of layoffs no real team culture
    -More importance is laid on Spanish team that american team
    -No transparency in the company
    -You know there's a problem when many of the original team is gone and many of the new hires don't make it much further than a year if at all

Advice to Management

Stop laying off everyone and try and build a good team with a good culture

"Software Developer"

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

Pros

Great colleagues, all have since left the company but still keep in touch.

Cons

CEO is the biggest habitual liar I've met, this is one of those places where you dread going to work.

Advice to Management

Get rid of CEO - This guy needs help

"Amazing challeges"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

The product rocks
    The people around are smart
    The whole foods stuff everyday was fun

Cons

Ofcourse goes without saying, hardwork is needed. It's pro and a con. If you like to be the 9 to 5 kind this is not your place;

Advice to Management

Get better investors who have built great companies. ElasticBox is in a great space.

"You would be better of being homeless then being employed here!"

Pros

The only pro is the product.

Cons

The CEO is a habitual liar and tends to mislead everyone of his employees. The company has also lied to its employees about stock options. And various lawsuit against management keep aprising - during my time there I felt uncomfortable as a female employee. This company has no outlook and epitomized the worst start up ever.

Advice to Management

Get rid of your CEO, and change you attitude towards your employees. You haven't built anything that amazing yet. More companies are defined by their culture and people than product alone. If you aren't going to change - then sharpen your resumes - and I hope you end up in jobs where you are treated similarly. Because Karma ....