Aflac - Beware of Independent Contractor Positions | Glassdoor
Pros
Cons
  • "No base salary, but you will quickly disciver that is by no means a draw back" (in 92 reviews)

• "100% commission, so it takes a couple of months to establish income (on average)" (in 131 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Beware of Independent Contractor Positions"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Aflac as a contractor

Pros

None that I could think of. Well...you might like working here if you like working for no paycheck at all. Do you like sitting in a cubicle all day cold-calling potential clients selling "voluntary benefits" only to get cursed at and get hung up on? If so, an Aflac sales agent career is for you! Go and live the Aflac dream, make no money, and you will wind up quite poor as well. Here's one last pathetic pro about this job. You get to wear a suit and tie to work everyday but feel like a broke shmuck at the same time working for no pay.

Cons

Absolutely no base pay and is an all-commission job that will suck your expenses dry. Expect to pay for your own gas, food, sales materials, and have the life sucked out of you. You will be driving all around the state selling health "voluntary benefits" to small businesses that have been called upon multiple times by other Aflac agents. The business owners don't want to see your face because you're soliciting Aflac products that they don't want. You will also be sitting in your cubicle all day pounding the phones cold-calling small businesses that have been called hundreds of times by other Aflac agents. Prepare to be cussed at on a daily basis and hung up on! There is a reason why Aflac agents wash out after three months of working for the white duck. You will most likely need another backup job to pay the bills because Aflac will suck you dry financially. When I interviewed at Aflac, my district coordinator told me most first year agents made over $50,000 in commissions. Man...this guy was some liar and fibber! When I did not make my first quarter sales from not selling enough Aflac health policies my district sales coordinator....get this...made me buy several policies for myself so he could make his monthly sales contest payout quota! Left the place that day and never went back after that fiasco. Terminated every single Aflac policy that evening and will never work for another all-commission sales based job again!

Advice to Management

Don't mislead potential job applicants at insurance sales agent interviews and tell them they're walking into a dream career. Offer new starting agents a base salary so they're not coming to work every day working for nothing.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Market Coordinator"

I have been working at Aflac full-time

Pros

Aflac takes very good care of their employees. 401k plan, bonus program, paid time off.

Cons

Not a con of the company itself, but my position does not have growth potential. I work in an independent office, not in the corporate office.

Advice to Management

Make sure to value your employees. Ask for feedback.

"Independent Agent"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Lafayette, LA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Lafayette, LA

I worked at Aflac as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The company itself is good. Has great products, enjoyed helping people.

Cons

Upline and management for that particular location has really bad. Didn't get proper help that I was told I would get.

Advice to Management

Better job at focusing on their new hires and focus on the agents main goals and not their own.

Discover more reviews about Aflac.