Aflac Reviews | Glassdoor

Aflac Chairman and CEO Dan Amos
Dan Amos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No base salary; 100% commission (in 88 reviews)

• 100% commission can be difficult to adjust to for some people (in 121 reviews)

"Seasoned Analyst"

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst

I have been working at Aflac full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I was part of the group that had the opportunity to keep the pension (which is the main reason I stay, i would have to literally get paid close to 100k a year, have great benefits, and even up my 401k another 12-15 percent just to make it worth it), profit sharing bonus isnt promised but a huge plus, 401k match up to 4%, benefits, PTO that builds by one day (once tenured at 5 years till 15th year, so over 200 plus hours of paid time off). When you hear of google and their amenities and even cafe it makes our cafes look like highway robbery. You pay a premium to eat healthy here. The town of Columbus is a nice area to raise a family, not a big city feel but just enough not to feel like small country town. Most millennial adults and generations forward hate the town but those establishing a family see the reasoning to stay if they are in a professional role and settling down.

Cons

Promotions usually mean you will be brought in at the bottom of your pay scale and it seems that bracket can range up to 20-35k as you move into analyst and management roles. I feel the pay is quite low for the level of work considering the same job pays almost 15-20k more in larger cities. I have plenty of friends that left for Anthem/BCBS/Unum etc because of this....However, if you make it a career being at the professional analyst level, such as a SR analyst or Consultant (which is usually an MC1-MC2 range) you can achieve close to a six figure income. Higher levels of management have over a 130k cap. The most difficult part of this is waiting for people to leave the company through attrition or just because of a better opportunity. If you are in the GA side, property taxes suck, however in Phenix CIty AL they are about 1/4th. If you aren't above 75k aftertax dollars with kids this can be a rough town to swing because of expense, being single you can maybe get by making 35-40k but you will live by your means.

Advice to Management

Consider students with non traditional education plus experience rather than vetted employees or kids that didn't have to work a day in their lives fresh out of college, it is 2018 people.....

2. "Benefits"

Pros

Very good place to be at

Cons

Nothing, everything seemed pretty good while here

3. "Aflac Agent Review on GD"

I have been working at Aflac full-time

Pros

Flexible hours
    You are your own boss
    Hard work pays off

Cons

No base salary, purely commission
    Takes a while to start earning

Advice to Management

Start off with base payment for first month or two of training

"Insurance sgent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Aflac (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company
    Pays commissions really quick,
    Opportunity to buy stock

Cons

No benefits at all,
    It’s a self employed deal but you’re to go by their rules

"For those unhappy "Interns" with negative reviews"

Former Employee - Aflac Producer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Aflac Producer in Lehi, UT

I worked at Aflac full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a company, Aflac is stelar and a good place for a very profitable career. I've had an Accident Policy for several years, it's been a life-saver many times (broken tooth, sprained wrist, broken bone in hand, bulging disc in neck, crushed foot, and the list goes on....we received money on every injury). As with most companies in the insurance business, it does take time to build your pipeline. The primary goal as an employee is to develop a stream of residual income. This takes time and effort and a good Trainer. Most people tend to burn out after a few months of hard work (cold calls and follow-up, etc). It's hard work! But once you see that monthly residual check (and continue to grow it), life can be pretty good. They don't cover the costs for getting licensed, but you have to have some skin in the game...right? As for all of the unhappy "interns".....it makes perfect sense, this is a longer term career move and working for a few months can be discouraging. If you are willing to work hard and work smart, Aflac can be very lucrative.

Cons

Cons....? Having patience during the first year or two isn't easy. There aren't any healthcare benefits (it's a 1099 job). You do get to deduct almost everything from your taxes. The only other "Con" could be the training, make sure you attend every session and learn from the best.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to be reimbursed for the licensing and training fees....perhaps after the first 6 months or so?

6. "Great place to work"

I worked at Aflac full-time

Pros

Friendly and laid back and fun sometimes

Cons

Competitive, Stressful, Boring sometimes, not what I was looking for

7. "Insurance Sales"

I worked at Aflac full-time

Pros

Getting out and meeting new people. A lot of out of office work.

Cons

Very taxing on your vehicle. Have to be able to hear "No" a lot and maintain confidence. Must be able to make commission to survive.

Advice to Management

Not for someone to who has a low income to start.

8. "Quality Company"

I worked at Aflac full-time

Pros

Flexible use of your time to succeed

Cons

not consistent pay schedule for the begining

9. "insurance agent"

I worked at Aflac full-time

Pros

great people willing to help

Cons

very tough to get started, 100% commission, keep your job before doing this

"Admin"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Aflac part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity starting a new business and learning the world of insurance. This atmosphere is very friendly and hard working.

Cons

I am Looking for a job that is more hands on. Prefer working with my hands in building out fixing things

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing, you have been very helpful to your agent's, admins and policy holders

Showing 587 of 2,123 reviews