American Income Life - Pyramid scheme/MLM scam, stay far away | Glassdoor

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Pyramid scheme/MLM scam, stay far away"

Former Employee - Life Insurance Agent in Fresno, CA
Former Employee - Life Insurance Agent in Fresno, CA

I worked at American Income Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free coffee, air conditioning, free life lessons on the pitfalls of a 1099 job. Learning how to recognize employment scams for future avoidance.

Cons

Lots.

For anyone thinking of working here, they should really understand how the company works before you get yourself involved with them.

American income is an MLM (multi level marketing) scam that uses insurance sales as a cover, probably for legality reasons and the optics of legitimacy. You will be lied to constantly here from the time you walk into the door to the day you eventually quit.

This is a 100% commission insurance sales job complete with cold calling and door to door sales on the surface but don't expect to make anything for a long time if you just decide to go down this route. Renewals don't kick in for an entire year and even then they will be low. The leads are cold and most will be angry. Some will be so ignorant or stupid they will probably buy from you. You have to sell them overpriced whole life though or the infamous 10 year term that acts like a ticking time bomb. Here's some fun facts about AIL's products: All of their term insurance can be converted into whole life! Great until another agent comes in after you've sold a term product, converts your policies into whole life and takes your renewals and steals your sale.

The insurance side of AIL is largely a waste of time and money though, if you really want to make anything here you need to become a great liar and start recruiting. The company's compensation model is based off recruiting as many people as possible, similar to a cattle call. You make money off their sales (a "down line") and money off of their recruits. You want to try and make your down lines as large and deep as possible. Sound familiar? Probably if you know anything about how companies like Avon and Amway work. It's the same model they use at AIL, recruiting is compensated better than actually selling anything, which is technically a pyramid scheme. Your managers will push recruiting harder than anything to reinforce this, as most of the young people they hire aren't from a generation familiar with how companies like Amway operated. Oh and the constant high burnout and turnover rate is because you stop getting increased commission from your recruits after 6 months so it's more profitable to just drop them and hire on the next batch of suckers.

Advice to Management

Hire some good lawyers, you've been forced to payout lawsuits before, and it's only a matter of time before you get more dropped on you by some poor victim of your scam. "Mandatory" meetings for your 1099 employees and micromanaging their every move is eventually going to bring your gravy train crashing to a halt.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Nothing but a scam"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Corona, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Corona, CA

I have been working at American Income Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is not anything that considered "pros". What you are "pro" is telling people you are looking for an "administrative" candidate with hourly pay and offer them "associate" position.

Cons

I am sorry for being rude but wtf is wrong with you people? I came for an interview for the "administrative" position and I even asked thru the phone prior to the interview that I don't want to waste my time with commission based job. You told me that it's hourly pay job. When I came for the "interview" there was nothing except a young lady talking about herself in one hour and she will retire with this company. She told stories which implied that people who look for salary pay job are all losers. Finally, in order to get that commission based job, we have to pay approximately $320 for finger print and license.

Advice to Management

Stop your scam. You ruined my three hours including 1 hour to drive there and 1 hour to get home. I asked very clear that I am looking for a salary job. All you wanted was to trick me and got me go there.

"American Income Life"

Pros

Good pay and great coworkers.

Cons

You have to be dedicated and ready to surpass your goals.

Discover more reviews about American Income Life.